Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 04:10 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Why do I love tomato ketchup but don't love tomatoes?

There's my vegetable experience with a "nature deficit order."
In Spring/Summer i grow several cherry tomatoes & Romano tomatoes here. They are sweet & Delicious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 06:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Food? They grow food there now?

Some of us have other memories of the Esalen Institute, lol.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
The fundamental reality which quantum physics describes is not at all incompatible with the fundamental reality testified to by mystics down through the ages.
I've always been amused by new agers using quantum mechanics to try to legitimize their religious beliefs... Regardless, its not that science and religion (or spiritualism, or whatever else you want to call it) are mutually exclusive, its that science has nothing to say about the metaphysical claims made by religions. That is, science doesn't confirm or deny religious belief as its outside of its scope of study. Though, somewhat paradoxically, science does study religion as a cultural phenomenon!

Regardless, I shouldn't have commented on religious matters in the first place..so moving along....

Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Now, some species have demonstrated restraint on breeding and multiplying and will not decimate their food supply if given a chance...
They have? Which animals do you have in mind?

Quote:
Really we are watching human evolution unfold before our eyes... We are social creatures, and the debates of our times is simply our species creating friction within our social structure as different groups take slightly different paths.
Huh? Mammalian evolution is a slow process, so no, we aren't watching it unfold before our eyes.

Quote:
sense their presence before seeing or smelling them.
Must be some sort of Jedi mind trick...

Quote:
Is anything good about the project in big sur to YOU??????
Nope...and the point of my commentary is that if the goal is to get people interested in agriculture then tying it to religious beliefs isn't going to be successful.... But sure, you guys should be able to discuss your religious beliefs all you wish, though I would suggest the religion forum instead of the California forum.

Geez...now physicists are spiritual.....you guys need to get out more.

Last edited by user_id; 03-03-2012 at 11:20 PM..

Old 03-03-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
The science seems to be applied with the intent of economics -- not health. You know: making money for the conglomerates.
Yes science is applied by companies for all sorts of things, but the purpose of science, in itself, isn't these things....its just simply to understand the world.

Quote:
• this thread isn't for you or for developing the public's interest in "agriculture"
Got it, so like I said just a moment ago, enjoy the religious discussion.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
You'd be surprised at how little we ordinary people are interested in the chemical scientific methods of agribusiness corporations.
I didn't say anything about "agribusiness corporations", I said science. Though the science used by agribusinesses is rather interesting, but I wouldn't be surprised by ordinary folks not being interested. Heck....the US doesn't even have any good science programming on TV anymore!

Regardless, I have in mind basic plant science. But perhaps you're right, perhaps people aren't interested in that either.... Though I must say, when I was in high school the plant science class (which involved growing your own little garden) was always popular and it was all science.... I don't think it exists anymore though, they built some sports field over the gardens.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Yes science is applied by companies for all sorts of things, but "the purpose of science", in itself, isn't these things....its just simply to understand the world.
Yes. And nowhere in the article, nor in any subsequent discussion was there any mention of the purpose of science. And if the folks at Esalen Institute and the folks engaged in discussing the OP article here wish to indulge in very basic and primitive joys with growing food, they are allowed to do so without consulting your opinions of the place of science in their pursuits.

Quote:
Got it, so like I said just a moment ago, enjoy the religious discussion.
Note: I wasn't involved in any religious discussion. I simply am taking issue with your obsession to indulge your pathetic pleasure at attempting to ridicule others at every opportunity. There is no negative consequence to the discussion as it was unfolding between posters -- no bigotry, no limitations of personal or political freedoms, no dire economic consequences, no social impositions on you or others. So, if you don't have anything to contribute beyond snobbish ridicule -- filled with false assertions (such as how reverence of animals is limited to modern mankind's dissociations with natural experiences [that you certainly show no signs of having either], and such as how agriculture is historically scientifically founded -- when neither statement is even slightly true -- why don't you just butt out and take your foppish arrogance on to some other thread where you can indulge your nastiness.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Yes. And nowhere in the article, nor in any subsequent discussion was there any mention of the purpose of science.
McFly.....I was responding to your conflation of science and the application of science by businesses.

Quote:
filled with false assertions (such as how reverence of animals is limited to modern mankind's dissociations with natural experiences [that you certainly show no signs of having either]...
Sorry dude...I said nothing about "reverence of animals", indeed, such comments are anthropological silly to began with... Reverence is a concept in our culture, applying it to other cultures is a fundamental error. Never suggested agriculture was originally founded in science either, again, that is a silly claim as it predates science by thousands of years.... I tell ya though, those straw man are no match for your piercing intellect.

Quote:
So, if you don't have anything to contribute beyond snobbish ridicule --
Probably not....so see ya alligator....

Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
McFly.....I was responding to your conflation of science and the application of science by businesses.
No, you weren't -- because I didn't.
You were, as always, attempting to create a segue to more master-debating in an endless chain of arguing to create opportunities to belittle others.
Quote:
Sorry dude...I said nothing about "reverence of animals", ...
Yes, you did, by ridiculing another poster's statements about respecting animals' spirits. Here's what you snidely wrote:
Quote:
I don't know, I guess in today's world where so few people have contact with wild animals, its easy to develop warm and fuzzy ideas about them....
Your sarcastic statement above was made following your mini-diatribe ridiculing the ancient human tradition of honoring its prey. Your inference was that such respect is foolishness indulged only by modern man due to our dissociation with intimate contact with nature. As I said, you clearly have no intimate knowledge of nature to speak to the issues -- so butt out and leave good people their discussion of an innocent topic. Indulge your perversions over in the Politics forum.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
ridiculing the ancient human tradition of honoring its prey.
To say it once more, using our cultural notions (honoring, reverence, etc) and applying them to ancient human culture is utter folly and I did no such thing. You are reading all sorts of crazy into my commentary....I'm really starting to feel bad for that straw man!!

But I'm committing a cardinal sin here, namely talking to you about science (in this case Anthropology). Don't worry, I'll get the hang of it slowly but surely...

Quote:
As I said, you clearly have no intimate knowledge of nature to speak to the issues...
Sure thing, if only I had some hippie friends... Speaking of which, and this is a serious question I was reminded of today while in Hollywood, what exactly is that hippie smell? Not all hippies smell of it...but its really common especially with women. Its not a smell I'm familiar with outside of it emanating from particular people. Some sort of incense? Beauty product? I gotta know!

Oh and speaking of Hollywood, around 8 pm walking down Franklin....what did I see? A naked lady walking down the street! How is that for nature.....

Last edited by user_id; 03-04-2012 at 01:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California