Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,156,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Give a person suffering from it the opportunity to smell something they used to enjoy, and it is possible for you to get some coherent dialog!!!
This is a well known aspect of human memory and has nothing to do with "essential oils", letting them smell an old shoe is likely to illicit similar responses.

Regardless, in humans scents largely play social roles. Biologically we aren't setup to respond to smells very well, we are a visual animal. I tried to find information on it, but doesn't appear to be much. The only thing I found was regarding its antimicrobial properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
but he disdains the contributors and considers their intellects inferior to his own
Sorry dude, unlike yourself I keep my opinions about individual posters to myself and I have said absolutely nothing about disdaining people, etc. This is just more figments of your imagination...As far as "he would look for information else where", the things I discuss here are usually outside of my areas of expertise.

Anyhow, you're free to believe whatever you wish, I'm going to stop trying to correct what you wish to believe about others.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Sorry dude, unlike yourself I keep my opinions about individual posters to myself and I have said absolutely nothing about disdaining people, etc. This is just more figments of your imagination...As far as "he would look for information else where", the things I discuss here are usually outside of my areas of expertise.

Anyhow, you're free to believe whatever you wish, I'm going to stop trying to correct what you wish to believe about others.
Yes, you write with roughly equal disdain for everyone. You admit it often, with apparent pleasure. Now I have challenged you to proceed with respect to show the genuine interest you say you have. Are you genuinely interested in the topic of growing vegetables organically? Are you genuinely interested in what the Esalen Institute is teaching? Are you genuinely interested to know what the other posters here believe and why? Or do you only wish to engage in ridicule, as you admitted earlier in this thread you had done? (Sure, I can go back and quote you precisely on that admission.)

Ask TrueTimbers or another here about how they grow vegetables. Ask them how they feel about it. If you think differently, express yourself without demeaning them or the topic. Otherwise we must conclude you have no interest here other than you gain pleasure through your perceived humiliation of others.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,165,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Yikes.
I'm done.
"Talking" with you is depleting.
You (your posts) have a vampirical (new word!) quality about them

Yep... We have ourselves a classic energy vampire...

Indeed far more scarey than the vampires that rule the night of Santa Cruz..

Energy Vampires by Dr. Bruce Goldberg

How Energy Vampires Drain Your Spirit and Soul: 11 Ways to Protect Yourself From Negative Influences | Suite101.com (http://l-pawlik-kienlen.suite101.com/stop-energy-vampires-a14286 - broken link)

Watch out for energy vampires - CNN

Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
This is a well known aspect of human memory and has nothing to do with "essential oils", letting them smell an old shoe is likely to illicit similar responses.

Regardless, in humans scents largely play social roles. Biologically we aren't setup to respond to smells very well, we are a visual animal. I tried to find information on it, but doesn't appear to be much. The only thing I found was regarding its antimicrobial properties.
Please interpret what you said... It make no sense to me.. What are you suggesting:

1. That essential oils are just the extract or carrier for a scent, and that the extract itself has nothing to do with anything... Sure the essential oil of an "old shoe" will illicit the same response as a bulky real deal old shoe.... (If this is the case sure, yes...somewhat of a mundane point though..)
OR
2. Are you proposing that say essential oil of lavender is likely illicit a similar response as an the essential oil of an old shoe!.... As that is the way I read what you typed... Maybe for you.. But the vast majority of humans will respond differently to different scents..

Sure yes we are visual creatures, this is what makes the use of scent so powerful.. Primal responses that bypass our most used sensory defenses...

Again to each their own... I am not debating this.. Different scents give different responses...This is simply fact, for those people who practice aromatherapy throughout the ages use scents to get different physical and mental responses is how it is done.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I have never been a "hippie". I have never, ever, even once, attended a workshop, such as this Esalen garden project. I never will ... don't enjoy indulging in group activities or communal efforts or thinking -- and I am far to 'rough' at the edges to fit in. That all said, I love people who do these things. I enjoy associating with them, at times -- whereas I dislike, intensely, at all times, arrogant, effete, pseudo-intellectual fops who derive personal pleasure from ridiculing salt-of-the-earth approaches to life.
I dated "hippie" girls, but never considered myself one... Me, more of a back to the land type, with a dose of first nation practices thrown in..Never identified with groups much..

Workshops, nope me neither.. I will teach them, but never attended one.. I like to glean ideas from the way others do things, but what I am into is the discovery... Yep I will ignore that the wheel exists and invent it myself...

I believe this is the root of creativity or discovery... Not following the path of others but creating your own path... Sure the older I get the more often I laugh at myself for crazy inventions or discoveries, of course someone already has been their and done that, but never the less it feels good to derive the conclusion independently for me.. Also maybe just maybe one day I may come up with a method or way that is revolutionary... Maybe not, I do not care either way really... After all it is the experience of life that counts..

Not our parents generation but the generation before them seemed to live this way, they seemed to be less goal orientated and more experience orientated... People were content being a shoe maker a baker and so forth. I question "progress" and feel humanity will need to make fairly large breakthrough soon, to get through this post industrial period of time.

In the mean time I am rejecting large swaths of this so called progress... I feel we made a wrong turn and missed the right path somewhere.. So I am back tracking following my rediscoveries to find a better path forward.. Many of us are!... I believe this is the crux of interest in bio dynamic agriculture and the local agriculture movement in addition to other "alternative" approaches. To take our knowledge back with us to a simpler time and re-apply it.

France and Europe are way ahead of us, as they had the foresight to preserve and celebrate local specialties and the old ways... From, knives to chickens to mustard to grapes... They have done a good job of this! Heck if it was not for Europe preserving and celebrating the unique qualities of wine growing regions, California would have not been able to copy it... What we do with the finer vintages of wine is what can be done with other crops we grow.. We are not their yet, but progress is being made..

This mundane tasteless existence we call progress, which focuses on accumulation of physical things verses the accumulation of experiences is the wrong path.. At least for me... Yes I am a hopeless romantic, and believe that one quality day expressing open and true love is more valuable than a lifetime of mediocrity..

Old 03-05-2012, 10:25 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,730,752 times
Quote:

Not true at all, someplace in this forum you called me a fat redneck. Sheesh user, now you are going to have to argue with yourself.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:38 AM

653 posts, read 950,961 times
Remember: if you don't talk to someone, they will (eventually) go away, and the thread can stay on track.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Again to each their own... I am not debating this..
You're not debating it? Then why are you responding? I was about to reply before I saw this. What you really mean is you're going to make a bunch of unfounded assertions and ignore any critique of them because you're going to believe your fantasies regardless of what reason dictates.

If you just wanted to blab about your religious beliefs fine, but then why try a discussion by asking questions?

Old 03-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Not true at all, someplace in this forum you called me a fat redneck.
No I didn't....I said you're overweight and the comment was in relation to the topic. But, I'm not beyond making personal commentary, its just something I try to avoid on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California