Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

I could have, but won't because... it's the opinion I hold. And I'm including all the way to Texas in the Bible Belt, not just the SE. You may see it as condescending, but 4 years of military service (out of 6) in the Bible Belt was more than enough for me.

Tell me, when people from other parts of the country come on here with their sweeping generalizations of California, do you post something similar to your above post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Well, lets take a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
OK, so what. It takes time to get to all those and then you leave. When in TN I just open the door (except in Memphis, then I lock the doors). CA does not having any place that is THE most beautiful and neither does TN. It is like arguing which beautiful girl is the most beautiful. Eye of the beholder.

In a land of over 100,000,000 square miles there is lots of beauty, sometimes it is out the front door, sometimes you drive to it. Research has shown that humans most prefer a landscape of rolling grasslands dotted with trees, a typical California coastal non mountain environment

Love the Sierra's for majestic beauty, but love the Smokies for the vast variety of beautiful scenery. Changes around every bend.

I haven't found that to be the case and I have been all through the Smokies and the Appalachians, if you fall asleep in a car and wake up some hours later, you could be anywhere from Maine to Georgia for all you can tell looking out the window. For over 50 years I have enjoyed the view from our ranch porch, across the creek with cottonwoods, willow and plane trees to the oak studded ridgeline to the south, grassy on the south slope, heavy impenetrable Matto on the north slope.

I prefer a MTN kids can climb and enjoy it over and over again with minimal trouble and cost. having climbed in both ranges, each has something different to offer. Haven't been to Rock City yet, maybe next trip to that area I will check it out.

Not sure what you are missing, there are no mountains to climb in the east. There are mountains you can walk up on constructed trails, but, aside from rock outcroppings there is no climbing
Peaks to climb:

Setting aside Memphis (Please let Arkansas absorb it) the worst traffic in ANY TN city is nothing compared to in CA.

Cities have traffic, avoid cities.

For the jack rabbits and snakes.

For humans, and bear, and elk, and lions, and raccoons, and big horn sheep and pronghorn and deer (yesterday I had a 4 point buck 30 feet in front of me looking like he had every intention of contesting the right of way, until he remembered he was after a doe, not some guy on a horse) etc, etc, etc. and jack rabbits and snakes

And TX, where I also have lived, is larger than both and then there is Alaska. I prefer CA to Alaska and TN to TX. Toss up between TX and CA. Desert VS desert. Beach VS Beach. The only thing lacking in TX are MTNs but you can drive to New Mexico and enjoy them and not worry about traffic.
Again, there several mountains in Texas, Guadalupe and Big Bend, there are no alpine peaks in New Mexico , no where that I know of where a belay or an ice axe is required in summer. Texas is flat or low rolling hills dotted with trees, some people like that landscape it is pleasant, but hardly dramatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You should have stopped at the first sentence.

As for the rest, it signifies nothing and is nothing you can take credit for regardless of where you've been, how many places you've lived, how many homes you own and where, what you've climbed or where you can take people

Personal preferences are all that count. Some of us prefer being elsewhere.
An interesting statement, the poster is essentially saying that there is no objective beauty, only subjective, some people would agree with it, most would not, I reckon. But it is true as my mama used to say, "a difference of opinion is what marries ugly women and sells bad horses."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Here we go again with The Condescending Attitude.

You could have said "mid west" or "southeast", but you chose to say "Bible Belt" and "flyover country".

If I had to pick one habit of Californians that blows, this is it.

I personally don't use those terms in favor of the much more simple: flat buggy and humid

Old 09-27-2012, 03:33 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

Tell me, when people from other parts of the country come on here with their sweeping generalizations of California, do you post something similar to your above post?
I'm not in the California forum that often, so I couldn't possibly monitor it.

However, the attitude that everything else is "flyover country" is quite common among Californians. They dismiss other places as insignificant. I have never sought to dismiss California as insignificant, even though I don't want to live there.

I wonder how many of the harsh things people have to say, stem from many Californians better-than-thou attitude? I'm not saying this because of this forum, but because of things I've heard Californians say to people's faces in real life WHILE they are staying in Texas or the southeast.

It's left a bad impression.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:49 AM

"Not sure what you are missing, there are no mountains to climb in the east. There are mountains you can walk up on constructed trails, but, aside from rock outcroppings there is no climbing."

You make it sound like there is little climbing activity in the Appalachians.

Rock Climbing - Appalachian Mountain Guides - Rock Climbing Guiding and Instruction in North Carolina

Appalachian Mountain Institute

Appalachian Climbing School

https://americanalpineclub.org/p/southernappalachian

Appalachian Trail Backpacking, Rock Climbing & Orienteering - Veterans | Outward Bound

Appalachian Mountains Backpacking & Rock Climbing | NCOB

Old 09-27-2012, 03:59 AM

"I personally don't use those terms in favor of the much more simple: flat buggy and humid."

See, I don't mind someone using words that are real descriptions as they see it. Even though your description of "flat, buggy and humid" certainly doesn't apply to my area, since I'm in the mountains. Also many places in the south are quite hilly and there is a wide variation in bugginess.

But at least you using those words opens up a conversation.

What kind of conversation can you have with someone who uses the words "flyover country" and "Bible Belt"? Those terms are really meant to shut down the conversation. There is more to those places than being merely a land mass that planes fly over from LA to New York, and there is more to the southeast than bibles.

It's similar to using the words "fruits and nuts" to describe California people. Is that all California is? Whereas if I say something specific, about smog for instance, at least there is still a conversation and we could talk about how much of a factor smog is or isn't.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:08 AM

861 posts, read 1,249,726 times
I think most complaints come from California natives, such as myself. Because they miss the way it used to be- or what it no longer "is".

Everything on your list is accurate.

Add traffic.

Rude drivers.

Uncontrolled immigration, drain on the economy, and poltical impact.

Summer wildfires are routine throughout the state.

Crowded.

Taxes.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:10 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,903 times
Just about everyone I've encountered so far here, when told that I just moved from CA, are shocked, SHOCKED, that I would move away from CA. Plenty of CA love from these parts -- from my experience anyways.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Just about everyone I've encountered so far here, when told that I just moved from CA, are shocked, SHOCKED, that I would move away from CA. Plenty of CA love from these parts -- from my experience anyways.
In contrast, we're usually met with knowing looks and approval, if not congratulations, for having relocated, especially from other former Californians. Must be regional differences.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
... It's similar to using the words "fruits and nuts" to describe California people. Is that all California is?
Well, "fruits and nuts" may not be ALL there is to California, but they are certainly at the top of the list for the best things about California. Throw in some nice fresh veggies from the valley farms, and some good fish from the oceans or Delta and it's a smorgasborg of the best of the best, far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In contrast, we're usually met with knowing looks and approval, if not congratulations, for having relocated, especially from other former Californians. Must be regional differences.
Now Chief, here you go again. On the one hand (just yesterday) you were preaching on how obnoxious it is that some California folks on this board constantly denigrate other places rather than accept different preferences for geography and lifestyles. And here you are, as you do nearly daily, adding to the "California sucks" and "is a stupid place to live rhetoric". I know you'll come back with some "no, no, really California is nice if that's what you like and can stomach" platitudes ... but too late ... you are feeding the negativity just as much as you complain about others from California feeding the opposite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California