Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 02:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Maybe it was your tone when you responded to the poster who said they prefer mountains their kids could climb with more ease. Are you not "climbing" in altitude when you walk up a mountain on a path? I'm pretty sure that's all they meant by the word "climb". They just want to walk up a mountain without special equipment. I think you chose to misunderstand.
I think so too, or he would have no real way to counter the observation.

We must remember that while about 40 million people live in CA and I will assume most want to be there. The vast majority of the US population lives in other States and I would also assume most are there because they want to be.

CA is a beautiful State, but it isn't everything to everyone, in spite of the assertions by some it is.

Now some people live in cities because they like to and some live in rural areas because they like to. Some people even live in Indio and I have never quite figured that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
... We must remember that while about 40 million people live in CA and I will assume most want to be there...
You would be correct.

Quote:
... The vast majority of the US population lives in other States and I would also assume most are there because they want to be.
You are mistaken.

I recalled reading something on this a while back, so I looked it up for you and list a few excepted lines:

Pew: Almost half of Americans want to live somewhere else

• 46% would prefer to live in a different type of community from the one they now reside.

• Denver, San Diego and Seattle are the top picks of the 30 largest metropolitan areas.

• Half of all liberals would like to live in San Francisco, more than double the share of conservatives.

• San Diego, once a bastion of conservatism, appeals to Democrats, liberals and moderates. "Good weather and the beach triumphs over ideology," Morin says.

• City dwellers want out
"City residents disproportionately are more likely than people living in other types of communities to say they would prefer to live in a place other than a city," Morin says. "Fewer than half of all city residents say there is no better place to live than in a city."

And, perhaps most significantly:
• More Americans would rather live in a place with more McDonald's than one with more Starbucks.

Pew: Almost half of Americans want to live somewhere else - USATODAY.com

Quote:
... CA is a beautiful State, but it isn't everything to everyone, in spite of the assertions by some it is.
It certainly isn't ... and thank goodness for that.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:49 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Maybe it was your tone when you responded to the poster who said they prefer mountains their kids could climb with more ease. Are you not "climbing" in altitude when you walk up a mountain on a path? I'm pretty sure that's all they meant by the word "climb". They just want to walk up a mountain without special equipment. I think you chose to misunderstand.

Yes, I do know the technical difference in mountain climbing and rock climbing as a sport. The reason mountain climbing as a sport isn't here, is because our mountains have an actual forest on them, so they climb the rock faces instead.

Either area has plenty for rugged outdoor people.
Quote:
I think so too, or he would have no real way to counter the observation.

We must remember that while about 40 million people live in CA and I will assume most want to be there. The vast majority of the US population lives in other States and I would also assume most are there because they want to be.

CA is a beautiful State, but it isn't everything to everyone, in spite of the assertions by some it is.

Now some people live in cities because they like to and some live in rural areas because they like to. Some people even live in Indio and I have never quite figured that out.
I did not think that anyone ever would have to explain the difference between walking and climbing, the jungle gyms in 1st grade must have been a real challenge.

Apparently you, as I mentioned do not know the difference between mountain climbing and rock climbing, and do not care to know the difference.

This strikes me as remarkable, but, I suppose it is the new indoor generation.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
You would be correct.

You are mistaken.

I recalled reading something on this a while back, so I looked it up for you and list a few excepted lines:

Pew: Almost half of Americans want to live somewhere else

• 46% would prefer to live in a different type of community from the one they now reside.

• Denver, San Diego and Seattle are the top picks of the 30 largest metropolitan areas.

• Half of all liberals would like to live in San Francisco, more than double the share of conservatives.

• San Diego, once a bastion of conservatism, appeals to Democrats, liberals and moderates. "Good weather and the beach triumphs over ideology," Morin says.

• City dwellers want out
"City residents disproportionately are more likely than people living in other types of communities to say they would prefer to live in a place other than a city," Morin says. "Fewer than half of all city residents say there is no better place to live than in a city."

And, perhaps most significantly:
• More Americans would rather live in a place with more McDonald's than one with more Starbucks.

Pew: Almost half of Americans want to live somewhere else - USATODAY.com

It certainly isn't ... and thank goodness for that.
I think there's a reason they call it "Pew" and it ain't about seats in church!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think there's a reason they call it "Pew" and it ain't about seats in church!
Now why do you say this, Chief? I have no investment in defending Pew, but to my knowledge they are independent, non-partisan, and one of very most highly regarded research centers of their kind in the world.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Now why do you say this, Chief? I have no investment in defending Pew, but to my knowledge they are independent, non-partisan, and one of very most highly regarded research centers of their kind in the world.
'Cause I can and because I maintain a healthy skepticism regarding most polls. Much depends on how they word them. Don't take it personally.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
'Cause I can and because I maintain a healthy skepticism regarding most polls. Much depends on how they word them. Don't take it personally.
Not taking anything personal ... I am seriously curious why you are skeptical about Pew ... I have never heard or read a thing negative about their work ... have you? Also, do you find their conclusions in this poll hard to believe? I don't.

This isn't a pro / con California thing. I just sense that an awful lot of folks dream of certain kinds of escape. As a part-time resident of Hawaii, I can assure you that most everyone I come across who knows this about me expresses envy .. of course, if they knew how I pulled it off, primitive as I am, they wouldn't likely think it worthwhile. Also a number of people express to me that they wish they could move to Calif., but fewer than say they wish they could live in Hawaii.

And, on that note, re: Hawaii and places people compare for COL opportunity .... uh, Hawaii is the only place in the entire US that I think truly has limitation for anyone who isn't very wealthy and who has to work for a living. There really are next to zero ways to get around it there: the COL is out of reach ... only one island has a district that has affordable land and homes for the average earner ... and there are NO jobs there ... as in ZERO. Every other state including California has choices and tricks people can use to find their way.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:39 PM

Well, let's just say that if Pew is correct, and I'll give you that for the sake of this discussion, there are a whole bunch of dissatisfied people out there and that's really unfortunate. But by the same token there are a lot of people out there lacking drive, initiative a viable plan or whatever it takes to follow one's dream, barring such things as unemployment, disability, family obligations (.HnL, that Bud's for you), etc.

Just reported and sad to note that the Campbell Soup plant that's been in operation and providing jobs in Sacramento for 65 years just announced it's draw-down to final closure by July. No relocations available. That's 700 people who will be without jobs, joining the 300 Comcast will let go to close their Natomas call center. Sad stuff!

Old 09-27-2012, 06:17 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,482,181 times
Quote:
And TX, where I also have lived, is larger than both and then there is Alaska. I prefer CA to Alaska and TN to TX. Toss up between TX and CA. Desert VS desert. Beach VS Beach. The only thing lacking in TX are MTNs but you can drive to New Mexico and enjoy them and not worry about traffic.
Actually, there are mountains in the western part of Texas.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Actually, there are mountains in the western part of Texas.
Yes, the highest Peak in Texas is Guadalupe Peak at 8,751 feet it is almost within a thousand feet of Tioga Pass, and only 500 feet short of Sherman Pass, just a hair shy of a thousand feet lower than Sonora Pass. 2 feet shorter than Ebbetts Pass. it is though two hundred feet higher than Carson Pass.

Texas has 5 peaks over 8,000 feet. There are 13 peaks in California over 14,000 and thousands of peaks over 10,000 feet.

Just for the fun of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California