Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 03:58 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,635 times

Advertisements

> Why do people hate California?

For folks who have never lived here it would be mostly ignorance and envy.

For folks who have lived here it could be anything - California is not perfect by any means. Probably the most common issue it the high cost of housing. Everything is ridiculously expensive compared to 99% of the country. Other problems abound but the positives way outweigh the negatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 04:09 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
I wouldn't pay much attention to what people in other places say about California. They are not here anyway. I grew up in the state in Ventura County and still live here.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM

I will say that one major key to loving life in CA (in my opinion) is to make sure you don't have much of a commute. Currently I commute two miles and haven't had a commute longer than six miles since 1986. Last week I had to drive about 40 miles after work around 4:30pm (not an unusal commute length or time of day around here) - if I had to do that every day I'd probably kill myself in the first week.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
I will say that one major key to loving life in CA (in my opinion) is to make sure you don't have much of a commute. Currently I commute two miles and haven't had a commute longer than six miles since 1986. Last week I had to drive about 40 miles after work around 4:30pm (not an unusal commute length or time of day around here) - if I had to do that every day I'd probably kill myself in the first week.
Lot of truth to that... a number of co-workers sold their 1200 square foot 50 year old homes during the boom and moved 50 or 75 miles away... every one said it was the worst decision they ever made... time, frustration and cost of commuting with the added problems the new homes they bought are in foreclosure cities...

Old 03-07-2012, 09:32 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Well...out here in bay area 1 hr each way is the standard... People complain only when its longer than 1.5 hrs i.e 3 hrs a day and I know a ton of people who do it. Luckily mine is about 30 min.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Lakers
Just remember where you got the name "Lakers" from

Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Well...out here in bay area 1 hr each way is the standard... People complain only when its longer than 1.5 hrs i.e 3 hrs a day and I know a ton of people who do it. Luckily mine is about 30 min.
I'm less then 10 minutes from work on city streets... Oakland is close to most locations in the East Bay... when colleagues were moving to Mountain House, Tracy, Stockton and beyond... I just couldn't see it for myself.

We had some renovations done at work and some of the guys were commuting from Placerville, Grass Valley and Natoma to the East Bay... they said the Bay Area was too expensive and the trade off was many thousands of added commute miles each year.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
I've been out here in the Bay Area all my life. I learned very early that long commutes did not compute and have tailored my work & home environments accordingly ever since. It's a matter of balancing priorities. In my case a short commute is a high priority while spending three hours a day on the road in my car is a very very low priority. It was a conscience decision to maintain a short commute, one that has saved me a million hours and a billion miles over the last 25 years. Anyone can do it. Of course you might have to move or change jobs . . .

Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times
Live where you work, work where you live. Pretty simple. Been serving humanity well since its inception.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
People hate California because they are jealous they have to live in boring and awful states
This sentiment and others like it, isn't always true. I've live in California for 48 yrs and cannot wait to get out of it. Like it or not, spin it anyway you like, California is a LIBERAL HELL. The tax rates are astronomical, the "people" want and expect too much, without paying for it, the state itself is nearly bankrupt, and it really has no overall social redeeming value, except its natural beauty. THAT I give the state.

However, the negatives far outweigh the positives. All the people who moved here a few years ago and say how great it is. Ok. You haven't lived nearly as long as me. I've seen California go from a great state, to one of the worst in the nations. Crime. Illegal immigrants, the education system? Please. Over half of the state budget, a state who's GDP is 7th largest in the WORLD, and people who graduate high school, have to take make up classes, to finish general education courses in college.

You can't own a gun, or buy any gun you want. Bridges are 5 bucks to drive across, bridge tolls which should have been done away with 20 years ago. You have CARB, a worthless agency, driving up the costs of everything. Gas prices higher then anywhere else in the country, except maybe Alaska. And I could go on for days.

The best thing to happen to California is an earthquake. That way, maybe this worthless state will fall off and sink into the ocean, where it belongs. San Francisco first I would hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California