Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave82 View Post
Great post. I disagree about the earthquake, but everything else is spot on.
Actually some of it is flat out wrong. You can own guns here, for example. I know it would probably make some people's heads explode to hear this, but I know San Francisco residents who own guns. And there have even been multiple justifiable homicides in SF over the past several years, involving home owners shooting home invaders...in San Francisco!

There are citizens with guns in the evil liberal stronghold of SF!?!? And they can use the guns in self defense, and not get railroaded by the evil anti-gun nazi-liberals?!? Impossible, I was always told that the gay militia would arrest my entire family if I even thought about owning a gun in SF! And the punishment would be to judge a vegan cooking competition...the horror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
So move to Iran if you hate California so much. I lay around on the beach all day ogling women in bikinis and then gorged myself on cheap Mexican food. California rules.

Right and meanwhile all the hateful "real Americans" who look down on anyone who lives within 100 miles of the ocean aren't being snobby. Honestly you guys are obsessed with us coastal residents who actually represent modern America. We really don't care about you peasants, that is the difference between us.

[smokes cigar and drinks fine wine]
Don't worry about those serfs. I'm cool with them as long as they avert their eyes in my presence and don't breathe on my Bentley.

*eats fine caviar, throws peanuts at poor people*

Hmm this snob life is interesting. I think I like it, gotta get more peanuts.

In all seriousness though, i find that the majority of Californians harbor no ill-will towards the rest of the US. We're not necessarily thinking too much about the rest of the nation, but in my experience it's somewhat rare to find a person who actually hates another state. So it comes off kind of funny when peolpe from other states pop out of the blue and reveal all this hate for the entirety of CA, usually based off of just a couple things, often things that aren't even true, and than call call us the "snobby" ones...kind of ironic, because I'd think that making an ignorant assessment like "all of CA sucks and Californians are not as good as us", often based on misconceptions no less, and being so arrogantly sure that it's 100% accurate, comes of as pretty snobbish itself. Same ****, different smell.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
I don't hate California or Californians, nor do I think we would be better off without them, but I do think the culture could evolve a bit if charm is considered desirable.

For instance, up here in Oregon we have people rolling into town and buying horse ranches,etc. who are so humorless and sure they are more evolved than the rest of us, it gets very old. The humorless superiority seems to be a Bay Area specialty. I just don't see why I should kiss the ring of people who I don't find charming or even very interesting. Sure you went to Berkeley and rode the bubble. You and thousands of others who seem much more interested in where you came from than where you moved. Come to think of it, my beef might be with Californian bubble nomad expats. They usually come from the SF Area, and they are widely loathed., for the reasons I mentioned.

I wish the Golden State the best, from the barrios of Chula Vista to the Buck Owens Belt to the Mother Lode to the Modoc Country and the Redwoods. Lots of good people and amazing landscapes.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
^
So you don't like rich people, nobody does. They are boring and they are snobby, no matter where you go. It's the same if you're dealing with Silicon Valley douches as when you're dealing with Texan oil barons.

Also to the person who said "you can't own guns," you can open carry here. Maybe there'd be more support for concealed carry if gun owners didn't prove time and time again that they can't be trusted with a deadly weapon. If some moron is going to be packing heat with the safety off I'd at least like to know about it rather than have him hide it from me until it's too late.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:41 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I don't hate California or Californians, nor do I think we would be better off without them, but I do think the culture could evolve a bit if charm is considered desirable.

For instance, up here in Oregon we have people rolling into town and buying horse ranches,etc. who are so humorless and sure they are more evolved than the rest of us, it gets very old. The humorless superiority seems to be a Bay Area specialty. I just don't see why I should kiss the ring of people who I don't find charming or even very interesting. Sure you went to Berkeley and rode the bubble. You and thousands of others who seem much more interested in where you came from than where you moved. Come to think of it, my beef might be with Californian bubble nomad expats. They usually come from the SF Area, and they are widely loathed., for the reasons I mentioned.

I wish the Golden State the best, from the barrios of Chula Vista to the Buck Owens Belt to the Mother Lode to the Modoc Country and the Redwoods. Lots of good people and amazing landscapes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
^
So you don't like rich people, nobody does. They are boring and they are snobby, no matter where you go. It's the same if you're dealing with Silicon Valley douches as when you're dealing with Texan oil barons.
You know, one of the best and worst attributes of people in the Bay is the people. I've met some incredibly interesting people with stories, real personalities and good senses of humor. These are usually multi-generational natives, the middle class (it does exist a little bit) regardless of ethnicity, blue collar types and some immigrants, in my experience. I like to think of myself as a pretty approachable guy, and I can't tell you how many times I've been approached just on the train or at the train stations just for directions, or because somebody felt like talking. There are plenty of friendly, down to Earth people here if you look for them or even just keep yourself open.

I've also met some surly, no-good, arrogant people with no sense of humor. To be honest, the worst is usually women under 35 who are 4s through 6s on the looks scale but usually act like they think they're 10s; it makes dating out here, or even acknowledging a woman, very difficult. Where I grew up, strong women understood standing their ground and being independent and career-oriented while also being good nurturers. Strong men did, too, except replace "nurturer" with "provider." I'm speaking in generalities, of course. Out here, from this male's perspective, I honestly think a lot of women hate men. And then, yes, there are the BMW-driving nouveau riche types, regardless of gender, that are about as bad attitude-wise. Strangely, I've also seen some road rage on several occasions from the Hispanic immigrant crowd.

I will also note that of all the people I've met from California, the most humorless (for a lack of a better term) individuals have been from San Francisco proper, followed closely by the wealthy coastal areas of LA & OC. So Fiddlehead really does have a point.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-10-2012 at 01:52 PM..

Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,696,422 times
Most people don't hate California. Or love it. It's just a place to most people, they don't care either way particularly.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:14 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Well, I don't want to be a clueless ass (that does not mean I'm not). California has all kinds of people, so douches, some funny as hell, and there is nothing wrong with them as people. But I have seen quite a few snobs that leave a lasting impression. I would say most people don't hate Calfornians, but the lack of "love" for them is simply because Californians don't really seem interested in any other parts of America. A big part of charm is just interest. And if you want to talk about yourself all the time, and how wonderful you and your peeps are, at least serve it with a wink or deadpan. I think Texans, or even degenerate douches like Rush Limbaugh, tend to deliver their endless horse**** with a gleam in the eye.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
they dont--- nobody hates california, california is beautiful. they hate californians.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:18 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they dont--- nobody hates california, california is beautiful. they hate californians.
They ENVY Californians

Old 03-10-2012, 04:18 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
In all seriousness though, i find that the majority of Californians harbor no ill-will towards the rest of the US. We're not necessarily thinking too much about the rest of the nation, but in my experience it's somewhat rare to find a person who actually hates another state. So it comes off kind of funny when peolpe from other states pop out of the blue and reveal all this hate for the entirety of CA, usually based off of just a couple things, often things that aren't even true, and than call call us the "snobby" ones...kind of ironic, because I'd think that making an ignorant assessment like "all of CA sucks and Californians are not as good as us", often based on misconceptions no less, and being so arrogantly sure that it's 100% accurate, comes of as pretty snobbish itself. Same ****, different smell.
I see plenty of it going both ways. Among Californians, Texas seems to be the easiest target. It doesn't matter if it's rural small-town, Houston, Austin or Dallas...it's all conservative rednecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California