Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 09:36 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Quincy is hillbilly. Fiddles and all that during the music fest, and it's located out in the middle of nowhere in hill country.
Visited Portola, CA this summer. I think Quincy is the county seat of Plumas Co. The town has sure seen better days with the decline of railroading and the logging industry. Only reason we went there was to visit the Western Pacific Railway Museum, where my husband was able to operate a locomotive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 09:15 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,389 times
Quncy?? Quincy isn't hillbilly in any way, shape, or form. It always felt like driving to a "big town" whenever I came to shop at their (wonderful) natural foods co-op. It's pretty big, with lots of tourist-y places, shops and actually a retired hippie town. I lived in a smaller local town that was so small that bears run around the streets during day time--it still wasn't hillbilly. Anyone who haven't been to Rail Road Flat shouldn't even post in this thread as you haven't seen "hillbilly".

Old 10-28-2012, 01:20 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Retired hippies usually ARE hillbillies.

Quincy's population is 1728 and it's far from any city, I think Susanville's probably the closest at 70 miles, and that's not much of a city.

There are still people prospecting for gold in Quincy.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Retired hippies usually ARE hillbillies.

Quincy's population is 1728 and it's far from any city, I think Susanville's probably the closest at 70 miles, and that's not much of a city.

There are still people prospecting for gold in Quincy.
Hippies aren't hillbillies... I meant the rednecks mostly. Susanville isn't the closest city to Quincy, there're many more. Quincy is quite a city in itself and has farmer's market events, organic food co-op, thrift stores, gift and coffee shops, historic buildings, Safeway, Rite Aid and other big chain stores, etc. When the town's sheriff's station is actually a building and not a trailer, please don't post it here as hillbilly town. As to gold...yeah, it's a hobby for some snow birds apparently. There're whole trailer parks dedicated to this... Quincy is a center of civilization compared to Rail Road Flat or even West Point...if you want to talk Plumas County where Quincy is perhaps Belden Town, but it's still very civilized. There're some "towns" off unpaved roads but I never went there due to my car not being right for this. Anyway wouldn't want to walk onto anyone's drug operation. Somehow I don't think sheriff ever visits those towns neither one can call 911 from there. I heard if building inspector goes there he always got loaded gun.

Last edited by alexxiz; 10-28-2012 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
Visited Portola, CA this summer. I think Quincy is the county seat of Plumas Co. The town has sure seen better days with the decline of railroading and the logging industry. Only reason we went there was to visit the Western Pacific Railway Museum, where my husband was able to operate a locomotive.
Used to own a house in Portola... it's not hillbilly at all there. If you want hillbilly you have to do more driving. I think people are confusing hillbilly (Appalachia-style) stuff with slow small towns where things are done the way they were done 30 years ago. Portola is essentially a suburb of Reno, NV, within a 50 min drive. There were bears casually running around town during the day time, though. I think even places like Rail Road Flat will soon change and become 2nd/vacation home/retirement place for Bay area people... stunning Carson Pass being close, I'm just happy it all is a National Forest land and they can't take over it.

Last edited by alexxiz; 10-28-2012 at 03:23 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Etna Valley
I would like to check this out. Any Mitchell Guist types hanging around general store having upgraded from moonshine to meth?
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/swamp-...hell-guist.jpg
Also curious if Jesus Maria, Calaveras County, CA is even more hillbilly than RRF (as if such thing was possible outside of Louisiana swamps)...

Last edited by alexxiz; 10-28-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Hippies aren't hillbillies... I meant the rednecks mostly. Susanville isn't the closest city to Quincy, there're many more. Quincy is quite a city in itself and has farmer's market events, organic food co-op, thrift stores, gift and coffee shops, historic buildings, Safeway, Rite Aid and other big chain stores, etc. When the town's sheriff's station is actually a building and not a trailer, please don't post it here as hillbilly town. As to gold...yeah, it's a hobby for some snow birds apparently. There're whole trailer parks dedicated to this... Quincy is a center of civilization compared to Rail Road Flat or even West Point...if you want to talk Plumas County where Quincy is perhaps Belden Town, but it's still very civilized. There're some "towns" off unpaved roads but I never went there due to my car not being right for this. Anyway wouldn't want to walk onto anyone's drug operation. Somehow I don't think sheriff ever visits those towns neither one can call 911 from there. I heard if building inspector goes there he always got loaded gun.
Dude, a village of less than 2000 residents is not a city, and anyway you shouldn't talk about any downtown area as being the hillbilly part. There are lots of hills around Quincy and there are hillbillies in the hills.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Dude, a village of less than 2000 residents is not a city, and anyway you shouldn't talk about any downtown area as being the hillbilly part. There are lots of hills around Quincy and there are hillbillies in the hills.
Then, entire Sierra Nevada and coastal ranges are full of hillbilles. Los Altos Hills? Nope these aren't real hillbilles and Quincy is certainly not a "village", having as many services as Palo Alto and almost more civilization. If you don't feel a little uneasy driving through/to the place down some unmaintained winding road and Deliverance movie doesn't come to mind, this ain't a hillbilly place! I grew up in a 20 million+ city by the way. But my best friend was born and grown in the swamps of Louisiana where they lived off eating squirrels and toads (and "coons" and "possums" sometimes too, I believe), even them weren't hillbillies really...his dad was a cajun Mitchell Guist copy--but he didn't grow up in the swamps himself, rather bought land and moved there, which makes him not a true hillbilly, even though he was a banjo player, moonshine and all.

Ironically, West Point DID have Deliverance-style stuff, with these serial killers having build underground dungeon and getting up to 25 people there apparently!

If it you wouldn't swear you could smell fried Hoover Hogs while driving through the place this can't be hillbilly enough! Also, if any roadkill was left laying on the road when you drive into town it's most likely was a rich California people retirement (or weed-growing hippie) place not a hillbilly location.

Last edited by alexxiz; 10-28-2012 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 05:11 PM

Yes, there are plenty of hillbillies in the Sierra too. Just because they're not mutants living in a swamp doesn't mean they're not hillbillies ...... after all this is a thread about such places in California, nothing is going to quite beat Louisiana's finest.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, there are plenty of hillbillies in the Sierra too. Just because they're not mutants living in a swamp doesn't mean they're not hillbillies ...... after all this is a thread about such places in California, nothing is going to quite beat Louisiana's finest.
I think Rail Road Flat may match Louisiana. Some time ago locals had rumors about homeless cannibals living in the forest around RRF, dispelled by the sheriff, apparently. Can feel a little weird driving there alone...and I heard not to take Jesus Maria road all by yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California