Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:07 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,580,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
I am admittedly no scholar but i am certain of the validity of the Nag Hammadi scriptures.
And if you can't imagine Jesus saying what i quoted and if you're not able to understand the truth / profundity of the words of Machthild of Magdeburg ... well, i dunno.
Anyway, have fun killing.
"May God have mercy on your soul".
Let me just say that, despite our disagreement about hunting animals, I am delighted to have discovered a fellow pro-lifer and moral absolutist!

And one who doesn't mind imposing her religious-based morality on society!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 04:16 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,828,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Let me just say that, despite our disagreement about hunting animals, I am delighted to have discovered a fellow pro-lifer and moral absolutist!
I am not a "pro-lifer" but i certainly wish that women didn't find themselves in the predicament where they feel like they must choose that route. That said, i'd never dream of taking that right away from them.
I had an abortion when i was in my early 20's and it was a sad and painful day indeed.
So i guess you could say that i'm pro-choice and anti-abortion.
It's up to the woman to make that choice imo. Similarly, as long as the law allows, it's up to you to choose whether or not you're going to take a life.
I am not a "moral absolutist".
I even eat meat now and then when i know that my body is needing it even though i don't like it ... i don't like the taste and texture of meat and i am a lover of "all creatures great and small".
But i'm also in a body and there are times when i have to ingest some animal protein for my health.
A true Christian, whether a meat eater or not, does not take pleasure in the taking of a life ... any life.
If you cannot grokk that then, again, i dunno.
If you take pleasure in killing a fellow creature and think that it's "fun", so be it.
That's between "you and your god".

Old 03-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I am not a "pro-lifer" but i certainly wish that women didn't find themselves in the predicament where they feel like they must choose that route but i'd never dream of taking that right away from them.
I had an abortion when i was in my early 20's and it was a sad and painful day indeed.
So i guess you could say that i'm pro-choice but anti-abortion.
It's up to the woman to make that choice. Similarly, as long as the law allows, it's up to you to choose whether or not you're going to take a life.
I am not a "moral absolutist".
I even eat meat now and then when i know that my body is needing it even though i don't like it ... i don't like the taste and texture of meat and i am a lover of "all creatures great and small".
But i'm also in a body and there are times when i have to ingest some animal protein for my health.
A true Christian, whether a meat eater or not, does not take pleasure in the taking of a life ... any life.
If you cannot grokk that then, again, i dunno.
If you take pleasure in killing a fellow creature and think that it's "fun", so be it.
That's between "you and your god".
In all seriousness, I'm very sorry to hear about your abortion.

But it seems to me that you are indeed a moral absolutist, and you are even willing to impose your religious beliefs on government. You believe that killing animals for pleasure is morally wrong. You support this belief by referring to Jesus and a religous text. And you want Dan Richards removed from public office because he violated your religious beliefs.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
In all seriousness, I'm very sorry to hear about your abortion.

But it seems to me that you are indeed a moral absolutist, and you are even willing to impose your religious beliefs on government. You believe that killing animals for pleasure is morally wrong. You support this belief by referring to Jesus and a religous text. And you want Dan Richards removed from office because he violated your religious beliefs.
It's not about imposing my "religious beliefs" on the government.
It's an impossible issue where the only close to sane approach, imo, is to allow the woman to choose.
Who, if not she, should make that choice?
I don't see any other way around that.
It would be really good if people were more responsible with their sexuality and good if women didn't get pregnant when they don't want to have a baby.

I do not understand how anyone could take pleasure in killing an animal.
To me it's just bizarre.
It's essentially irrelevant to me whether Dan Richards is removed from office.
I could care less.
I have no "religious beliefs".
I do have a heart however and a very deep love for animals.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
To me it's just bizarre.
You mean it is NOT morally wrong in your view? Just "bizarre"? I'm confused.

Quote:
It's essentially irrelevant to me whether Dan Richards is removed from office. I could care less.
You said "screw him!" and "good riddance". Those aren't the words of someone who doesn't care.

Quote:
Then why dd you bring Jesus, religion, and sacred texts into this conversation?

Old 03-09-2012, 04:42 PM

Honestly if you haven't been receptive to my previous expressions and haven't comprehended the gist ... the essence ... of where i'm coming from and of what i've said, i can't go much further here.
And that i happen to be a fan of Jesus does not mean that i'm "religious".
I am inspired by and resonate with the Christian mystics and by the mystical "stream" and i have my own very personal and sacred relationship with Christ but i'm involved / affiliated with no religion.
"Screw him" and "good riddance" to anyone who takes pleasure and glee from the taking of a life.
Yes, bizarre ... incomprehensible, strange, alien, foreign ... i can't relate to having fun / taking pleasure in killing an animal as i love animals!
Simple.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
To me it's just bizarre.
It's essentially irrelevant to me whether Dan Richards is removed from office.
I could care less.
I do have a heart however and a very deep love for animals.
It's interesting. When I was young I hunted with my father and, yes, we ate everything we shot. I enjoyed being with him, the outdoors and the challenge of it.

Then I went to war. I haven't hunted since. Hunting animals was no longer a challenge. Unlike men, animals cannot shot back. Since coming to that conclusion I've also come to the mind that if I want to eat meat I can simply buy it. The idea of killing animals, other than defensively or to put a badly injured one out of its misery holds no interest for me.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's interesting. When I was young I hunted with my father and, yes, we ate everything we shot. I enjoyed being with him, the outdoors and the challenge of it.

Then I went to war. I haven't hunted since. Hunting animals was no longer a challenge. Unlike men, animals cannot shot back. Since coming to that conclusion I've also come to the mind that if I want to eat meat I can simply buy it. The idea of killing animals, other than defensively or to put a badly injured one out of its misery holds no interest for me.

(and "i" never really left for long btw)

Old 03-09-2012, 04:52 PM

105 posts, read 304,810 times
Have you ever seen a picture of a fisherman holding a big a$$ fish with a frown on his face? I fail to see how this is much different. It's understandable if someone thinks this is morally wrong; and I don't really get it myself, but no laws were broken and the guy shouldn't be fired over it. Should a politician of a dry county be fired for posting some pic of them drinking with a smile while on vacation?

Old 03-09-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Honestly if you haven't been receptive to my previous expressions and haven't comprehended the gist ... the essence ... of where i'm coming from and of what i've said, i can't go much further here.
And that i happen to be a fan of Jesus does not mean that i'm "religious".
I am inspired by and resonate with the Christian mystics and by the mystical "stream" of Christ and have my own very personal and profound relationship with Christ but i'm involved / affiliated with no religion.
"Screw him" and "good riddance" to anyone who takes pleasure and glee from the taking of a life.
Yes, bizarre ... incomprehensible, strange, alien, foreign ... i can't relate to having fun / taking pleasure in killing an animal as i love animals!
Simple.
At this point, I find your views - as you've expressed them here - totally incoherent.

Here's what I think. You are a moral absolutist because everyone is a moral absolutist. You believe that some things, at least, are always right and that other things are always wrong. Even if you claim otherwise, that entails believing that moral absolutism is always wrong, and so the idea of moral relativism is self-contradictory. The closest anyone really gets to moral relativism is a selective moral absolutism.

Moral relativism is an intellectual game we play with ourselves to excuse or justify some kind of wrongdoing, or to avoid the question of wrongdoing altogether. But it fails in the end. Man is a moral creature, and human nature can't help but make moral judgments of some kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California