Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:23 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times

Advertisements

Not sure about the driving test. The job market in Texas is better at the moment, but more importantly it has more areas that fit what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotland2USA View Post
i like california. it has everything we dont have in scotland, like amazing weather for a start. plus i have a california rivers license, so its a start!

i am open to other states, if you know any? ultimately, i need to go where the work is.
I understand why you want to live in California now.
Family presence is a plus (unless you have family like mine ).
Arizona is a state to consider.
It's close (well, relatively speaking) to California but it's much more affordable.
Much of "inland" California is perhaps not where you want to be.
The inland that's close enough to populated areas will still be relatively expensive.
However, you may want to consider the Sacramento area. It's somewhat less expensive and the chances of finding work there are much greater than some other central valley communities.
But, again, if you're so gang / crime phobic that you don't want to be around any of it, you're going to have a big problem.
It's just a fact of life in much of California and much of the U.S. although there is certainly more and less crime depending on where you are in the country.
There are inter-mountain states that may suit you if you are o.k. with real winters.
Colorado and Utah come to mind. Idaho is another option.
You'll be in the "real" west. Cowboys and everything.
But seriously, assuming you can find work, your money will go a lot farther in any other state.
New Mexico, in the south west, is another option ... it's stunningly beautiful.
Texas is an option as someone suggested although personally, it's not my cup of tea.
Do you care about things like politics / political atmosphere? Do you care how liberal or conservative a place is? Do you care about diversity and other cultural factors?
What kind of place do you want your children to grow up in?
Lots of more info / details are needed in order for people to point you in the appropriate direction.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:36 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Hi People

Im looking for advice on where in California is affordable and safe (safe meaning no gangs). I have a wife and 2 daughters, aged 10 and 5. We have just arrived in California from Scotland, and are currently living in North Hollywood - temporarily. This is not the place we will be staying long term. Gangs frighten us terribly, as we come from a society where gangs are nowhere near the extent they are here in the US. I work in Office Administration and my wife in Customer Services. We dont like major cities, so we are looking for somewhere thats quite small scale. Any siuggestions will be hugely appreciated as now that we are here, its very daunting!

Cheers
From documentaries I've seen and from what I've read on the internet, California leads the country in gangs period. No other state comes close. Even Beverly Hills has a gang that claims them as their own.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
@EscapeCalifornia, thanks.

@jaijai, we dont want to live on the coast. we arent beach people at all, so living on the coast isnt even on our radar. Santa Cruz is going to be way too expensive. Someone told me that the further you go out from major cities, the cheaper the rents are and lower gang activity. I honestly dont mind commuting in my car, even if i need to commute for an hour each way, if it means getting somewhere affordable to live, with no gang activity.
Not true anymore. The more expensive the rents and crackdowns by the cops, the further out the gangbangers and criminal element move.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
@majin - thats funny because stockton was one place that i have been advised to stay well clear of! why would you suggest it?
I do not think majin was sincere / serious.
He often isn't ... right majin?
It's kind of mean spirited to do that dude especially when you give no indication that you're being sarcastic. just sayin'.

Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
i like california. it has everything we dont have in scotland, like amazing weather for a start. plus i have a california rivers license, so its a start!
The thing is, most of California doesn't have "amazing weather". The very narrow coastal strip has very moderate weather. That's where most of the population lives and where everything is very expensive. Once you get out of the temperate coastal strip, you may as well live in Arizona as far as weather goes.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The thing is, most of California doesn't have "amazing weather". The very narrow coastal strip has very moderate weather. That's where most of the population lives and where everything is very expensive. Once you get out of the temperate coastal strip, you may as well live in Arizona as far as weather goes.
So true. I lived in the valley for a few years when I first arrived. The weather IS miserable. It stays hot no matter what. I don't know how anyone can live there without air conditioning.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
So true. I lived in the valley for a few years when I first arrived. The weather IS miserable. It stays hot no matter what. I don't know how anyone can live there without air conditioning.
And without an air purifying system for the home!
Air quality is, at least to me, a very important thing.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:15 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
I have a Scottish friend - from Edinburgh. He and his family live in Los Altos and really love it. It is pricey, though.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 03-11-2012 at 09:31 PM..

Old 03-11-2012, 09:25 PM

one of the pricier / priciest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California