Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:47 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,799,180 times

Advertisements

I don't think real estate is an growing job market right now in California, unless you specialize in foreclosures & shortsales and perhaps work with investors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,318 times
Ok so for those of you who are actually trying to be helpful, thank you. I was thinking that perhaps people who live in the incredibly large state of California might just want to help the single woman trying to move across the country. To "gone down south" I'm obviously going to find a job first but I'm not going to take one or even look at one in an area that I don't want to live. I'd like to know where to focus my energy. To "Escape California", I'm thinking that $200,000 would be an absolute max. I'd rather spend half that, which seems to be the starting price for a 3 bdrm in a decent area. Oh and ps I am also a manager and make $70,000, thank you kindly.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,350,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingwhere View Post
To "Escape California", I'm thinking that $200,000 would be an absolute max. I'd rather spend half that, which seems to be the starting price for a 3 bdrm in a decent area. Oh and ps I am also a manager and make $70,000, thank you kindly.
Well you said $20/hr+. That's a long ways from $70k/yr which makes a big difference. I'm still doubtful about finding a 3 bedroom home in a nice area for anywhere close to $100k in any part of California that isn't so economically depressed that you'd be hard pressed to make that $70k.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:30 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,834,327 times
Movingwhere, check this Trulia heat map out.
This will give you a sense of the exorbitant home prices in the state.
When you see a county that you think may interest you, click on it and there's an option for a more detailed heat map of that specific county.

California Home Prices and CA Heat Map

Those green counties where the average listing price is 213K and below are most likely not where you want to be living.

Do you need a free standing house or would you consider a condo or town-house?
Also, i think that it's unwise to buy a home before you live in and really get to know the area first.
If you were to rent, what can you afford a month until you find a place to buy?

You mentioned Encinitas.

"The median sales price for homes in Encinitas CA for Dec 11 to Feb 12 was $610,000 based on 123 home sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median home sales price increased 10.3%, or $57,150, and the number of home sales decreased 6.8%."

You also mentioned Marysville ... an entirely different California than San Diego county.
You could afford a home there.
But do you know the area?
Have you been to California?
It's a huge and diverse state (culturally and re; natural environment).
Most of it is not the "California dream" that people often imagine when they think of California.
You may like Yuba county however.
I would think that it's quite depressed economically.
I suggest a trip to California if you can do that .... and a lot of traveling so you can get a sense of the state.

"The median sales price for homes in Marysville CA for Dec 11 to Feb 12 was $80,000 based on 72 home sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median home sales price decreased 15.3%, or $14,500, and the number of home sales increased 14.3%."

Last edited by jaijai; 03-13-2012 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 10:54 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,315,333 times
Movingwhere, I have unfortunately never been a California resident. I have traversed the state a lot over the years.

But the main reason I am writing is that I also lived in upstate New York for a time (right between the Catskills and the Hudson River) and I completely understand your desire to move.

The little towns up that way can have their charm, and there is some gorgeous scenery, but the winters are long and depressing and so full of ice and snow, and after a good 2-3 years we were ready to move out of there. We found the whole area from Albany to Kingston overall just sort of run down and bleak.

We're in Portland, Oregon now and we do love it here, but we are also hoping to move somewhere a little more sunny and warm, as well as a place with fewer people.

I have to echo some of the other folks here (all of whom, I expect, know more about living in California than I do) and say the most affordable places in the state that, to me, are liveable and have a lot of what you mention are further North up above Sacramento. Lots of isolated, small towns up there, but there are also some more substanital ones with more going on.

There's a lot to recommend Oregon as well. The coast is a lot more affordable, but also not "beach weather" a good deal of the time. No sales tax here, and property tax is probably lower in some places.

At the same time, we really are looking to move to California too. I hope you can find what you are looking for, and I'll be following this thread with interest.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:08 AM

5 posts, read 7,318 times
Thank you all!!! I appreciate the info as I have alot to research and I am grateful to anyone willing to point me in the right direction. As for the job, I am perfectly willing to try a new career with hopefully better pay. The woman I know in marysville is about 20 min outside of town and sells real estate. She and I also both own purebred Maltese dogs which we could show and breed together. She says themeth problem isn't THAT bad but I have two children and the safer the better. Griffis, I live in Endicott which is right next to Binghamton if you've heard of either or those. We're about 45 min from Syracuse and 4 hours from NYC. Unfortunately a lot of folks from down there have decided to venture up our way to sell their drugs to what is becoming a huge customer base. Here most people are either dealers, addicts, or so rich they could care less. The middle class is fleeing as quickly as possible! My hope is to find an area that offers more opportunity for my children to succeed and more fun things to do.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,309,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Movingwhere, check this Trulia heat map out.
This will give you a sense of the exorbitant home prices in the state.
When you see a county that you think may interest you, click on it and there's an option for a more detailed heat map of that specific county.

California Home Prices and CA Heat Map

Those green counties where the average listing price is 213K and below are most likely not where you want to be living.

Do you need a free standing house or would you consider a condo or town-house?
Also, i think that it's unwise to buy a home before you live in and really get to know the area first.
If you were to rent, what can you afford a month until you find a place to buy?

You mentioned Encinitas.

"The median sales price for homes in Encinitas CA for Dec 11 to Feb 12 was $610,000 based on 123 home sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median home sales price increased 10.3%, or $57,150, and the number of home sales decreased 6.8%."

You also mentioned Marysville ... an entirely different California than San Diego county.
You could afford a home there.
But do you know the area?
Have you been to California?
It's a huge and diverse state (culturally and re; natural environment).
Most of it is not the "California dream" that people often imagine when they think of California.
You may like Yuba county however.
I would think that it's quite depressed economically.
I suggest a trip to California if you can do that .... and a lot of traveling so you can get a sense of the state.

"The median sales price for homes in Marysville CA for Dec 11 to Feb 12 was $80,000 based on 72 home sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median home sales price decreased 15.3%, or $14,500, and the number of home sales increased 14.3%."
Marysville could be exciting if one is a Sikh (or wants to be around that culture).

Old 03-14-2012, 12:55 PM

3,721 posts, read 14,683,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingwhere View Post
I was leaning toward marysville but heard that there's quite the meth problem there. I am planning on around $200,000 for a house but I don't want to live in the ghetto.
Go for Marysville/Yuba City. It's a nice area but I don't know anything about a meth problem. Also check out Chico.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,015,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
Go for Marysville/Yuba City. It's a nice area but I don't know anything about a meth problem. Also check out Chico.

When did Marysville and Yuba City become nice? This is news to me.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 PM

8,185 posts, read 16,599,033 times
Cheap (nice homes <= 200K) and nice (mild weather, good schools, low crime, vibrant, friendly, etc... ) is a difficult combo to find in the CA, one of the most popular states to move to in the union. Yet this may be the most common question we see on this forum. Hence, you will get some sarcasm at times. That's not to say eveyone's like that. It just is what it is, an expensive and very popular place to live/migrate too. You would probably get a similar response if you asked the same questions about Hawaii.

Bottom line you need to be more relialistic. That's not to say don't dream. Just come down to earth a bit in terms of these lofty goals. Then prioritize your requirements/desires. For example since you are a parent a safe area with good schools should be toward the top of your list. To get that for less you will have to compromise in some other areas, like near perfect weather, closer to the beach, funky, artsy, cool social scene, etc... If you do then places like Temecula and Murrieta are closer to your primary objectives than Marysville IMO. Yes, this is suburbia which many ppl hate for that very reason. But it is also growing with a lot more home sales/transactions than in other parts of the state due to its relative affordability and quality of schools. However its not perfect by any means, some like it some don't. You'll need to investigate these areas for your family (compare and contrast).

Another place to consider if you can find work is the Central Coast, our preference. Look to the outskirt communities within ~ 50 miles radius of San Luis Obispo. That's a beautiful part of CA, albeit more remote with fewer jobs.

Another place to check out in the Northern part of the state is Rocklin which is outside Sacramento. They have some good public schools there and prices aren't too bad compared to places like Encinitas.

Take a look at this map and zoom into the areas in question - California School Performance Maps. Look at the school ratings. Granted these ratings aren't everything. But they are good general indicators. Many times in areas with poorer performing schools you also will have higher drug and gang problems among other social ills. There is some statistical correlation. If kids aren't doing well in school they are many times getting into trouble doing something else. Now if you had no children it may not be as important. But obviously you have them to consider as well as your other preferences.

Lastly don't expect to buy right away, especially for a low amount. Rather plan to rent first and get to know the areas. It's a poor investment decision to buy in locations your are unfamiliar with and may end up not even liking longer term. On top of that changing jobs makes it difficult to qualify for bank loans. This is one of the reasons Ca is suffering through the mortgage crisis right now. Ppl purchased homes at the wrong time under the wrong conditions simply because they could.

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 03-14-2012 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California