Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 PM

307 posts, read 980,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Air quality in Visalia has been improving. 2011 had the fewest number of high ozone (a precursor to smog) days in 2 decades. Only 17 days in Visalia were over the federal ozone standard in 2011 vs Southern California's 31 days in Santa Clarita, 68 days in Riverside or 80 days in Redlands.

Number of ozone violations in Visalia by year:
MRGDSITEMYR Display

You can compare that to Southern California numbers by clicking any of the cities listed here to see its annual high ozone days.
MRGDASRPT Display

What you were seeing might have been the result of this unusual dry winter. Winter weather conditions trapped particulates (dust, soot, etc) in the air. There have been several winter days with unusual high winds stirring up dust. But the lack of rain kept particles suspended in the air. The Valley this winter has so far seen about 1/3 its normal rainfall totals.

The lack of rain this winter has made the last few months some of the worse Valley winter air quality in decades. But this has been much worse than normal.

Visalia is a nice town (or city since it is about 125,000 residents). I sometimes enjoy the restaurants and activities it has to offer. Seems like something new to discover every time. A new spot just opened downtown (Mearle's on Main) that serves the very excellent Superior Dairy Ice Cream. That means I no longer have to go to Hanford to get Superior, I can visit Visalia instead.

In terms of allergies, everyone is individual and different in terms of what they deal with. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation does a twice a year ranking of in terms of living in an area with allergies. They look at pollen counts, medication usage, and ratio of allergists to population. Visalia is not reviewed due to its size but in the Fall 2011 rankings the larger Valley cities ranked as better places to live with alleriges than most of the US.
http://www.aafa.org/pdfs/Public%20LI..._2011%20v2.pdf
Thanks Fresno Facts, your post are always very informative. It seems then, that what we were seeing was probably dust and other particulates as you mentioned that were polluting the air. That is a relief, if its not usually as bad as it was when we were there last month. It seems on the google images of Visalia that the air is relatively clear and the mountians are plenty visiable which would seem to intimate that what we saw was an abnormal occurence? We will probably be coming through there again soon, so will check it out.

Allergies, are not a big deal to us. Just par for the course in the Valley. Had them most of my life in Sacto and surrounding areas. So, I am not too concerned with that. I am concerned about heavy smog though.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 PM

When you are talking about pollution at Sequoia, are you saying that up in the Sierra, like Sequoia Nat'l Park, that there is visible smog/air pollution?

Old 03-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Thi is good additional info FresnoFacts. Thanks for posting. Pretty surprised with Sequoia Ash Mountain (87 days). That's the Sierra foothills just outside Visalia. How could Visalia only have 17 days? Was there a fire or something?

What are your thoughts based on the numbers you have observed regarding the primary question? In other words do you think smog is worse overall in the Southern SJV. The numbers I have looked at seem to point to this overall trend. While I think you brought out some good points regarding the various monitors and sizes of counties, I still see a trend of worsening air as one approaches the Southland => Bakersfield => San Bernardino. Unlike the LA comparison there is no coastal relief area vs. inland extremes. BTW, I do agree about LA as I lived along the coast there (Hermosa Beach) and also went to college in the Inland Empire (Loma Linda). That difference is about as extreme as it gets in areas terms of air quality within relative close proximity. The closest extreme I could imagine for SJV region would be the mountains (above the smog line).

Derek
It seems to me, being born and raised in CA and having only been gone for less than 4 years, that it is a generally accepted notion that the South Valley has worse smog issues than the Central or Northern Valley. Its visably noticeable as you travel from Barstow/Mojave (cleaner air) up to Tehachapie (polluted air) and down into Bakersfield (severely polluted air) and then all the way up the Valley to Chico/Redding that the air pollution visably decreases the further north you go. It seems that the scientific data provided here attests to that as well.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenRecon View Post
I'm happy to give you my impressions of Visalia's air quality as I've lived here 20 years. My knowledge of the pollution blown in from the bay area and also from local agriculture does disturb me because I am concerned about cumulative effects over a lifetime. However, if I did not know about that, I would not be able to guess it simply by living here. That is, I do not feel respiratory discomfort, sinus problems, sore throat or anything like that. I certainly perceive more air pollution in Fresno and Bakersfield. Each time I've visited southern CA, as soon as I descend over the grapevine (I-5), I can see, taste, and feel the smog. I don't perceive anything like that in Visalia.

I would say that FresnoFacts made some great points -- especially about Visalia having a very dry winter. We have had an unusual lack of rain, so there has been more dryness and dust, but it's clearing out now (because it's raining). We have a very clear view of the gorgeous mountains most of the time.

I think that your impressions of Visalia are otherwise correct. It is a safe, friendly, mellow city with much beauty within (parks and such) and without (nearby Sierra Nevada, especially). I don't worry about crime here. Homes are quite affordable. Traffic is pretty much non-existent. I would feel very comfortable raising a family here. The climate is mostly great; you're from Sac so you understand the summer heat. There are lots of organizations to get involved with, events to attend, communities to join. If these things appeal to you, it might be a great fit.

My personal preference is for a very liberal-minded, activist-oriented, eco-forward community so I'm looking into Oregon and Northern CA. If that happens to be your preference too, then Visalia may not be a good fit.

One thing I've learned is that no place is perfect. We have to compromise on some things. If you have more questions about Visalia, I can probably be helpful.
Thanks for your local impressions. I am glad to hear that the air is clearing due to the rain. I suppose that what we saw was definitely due to the unusual weather, that has allowed more pollution from different sources to cloud the atmosphere around Visalia.

It definitely seemed like a good community from what we saw. I am glad to hear you confirm that as well. We were definitely impressed with the area. Thanks for the community info, that is most definitely encouraging.

Some things one should compromise on and others one shouldn't, but that is based on the indiviual. I think overall Visalia is would be a good fit. We are going to come and visit again soon, and then decide on a place. We are also interested in a few other areas.

BeauCharles: Thanks for the helpful info as well. I appreciate your insights and seem to confirm what others are saying.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:37 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
When you are talking about pollution at Sequoia, are you saying that up in the Sierra, like Sequoia Nat'l Park, that there is visible smog/air pollution?
Ozone is odorless and colorless. While there can be smoke and particulates blown up into the Sierra at times for the most part the air appears less dirty - whether it is or not.

I lived for 15 years in Mariposa County east of Merced (Yosemite National Park area). While monitoring shows more ozone pollution in Mariposa County at times than the vallley the air smelled fresh and clean and the sky was almost always blue.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:02 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, I checked Placer which ranged between 10-20 days in 2010 depending on monitor site. While not great it is better than many other areas in this overall region.

The biggest shocker for me is the Sierra foothill regions which can actually be worse as the one you described. Sequoia and Kings Canyon Natl Park reading is even worse historically than Ash Mountain. I can't tell where the monitor station is. But its really horrible. From 2007-2010 it hovered ~ 100 bad air days below the state standard. That's the absolute worst in the Central Valley.

Derek
Transport of pollution inland due to winds, etc. is a big issue. That does not mean local sources are not the major inland component but Californians cannot pretend their individual generation of air pollutants magically disappears if they live on the coast.

Many people do not realize where some of the worse air pollution in the state is located. It gets hidden when people talk about regions or counties because people will think only about the most urban parts of those areas.

In the Inland Empire most people think of Riverside as having the higher pollution levels, yet Palm Springs and Joshua Tree National Monument record ozone numbers similar to Riverside. Southern California pollution travels more inland that most people realize.
DAYS OVER FEDERAL OZONE STANDARD:
Riverside - 2011 = 68; 2010 = 47; 2009 = 36; 2008 = 64
Palm Springs - 2011 = 49; 2010 = 52; 2009 = 54; 2008 = 51
Joshua Tree National Monument - 2011 = 56; 2010 = 53; 2009 = 59; 2008 = 72
http://www.arb.ca.gov/aqmis2/display...2596&ptype=aqd
http://www.arb.ca.gov/aqmis2/display...2199&ptype=aqd
http://www.arb.ca.gov/aqmis2/display...3152&ptype=aqd

Pollution levels in Pinnacles National Monument are rising due to increased pollution from the Bay Area, particularly from San Jose/Silicon Valley.
http://www.nps.gov/pinn/naturescience/air-quality.htm

In the San Joaquin Valley, the Bay Area is estimated at being the source of 27% of pollution around Modesto, 11% around Fresno, 9% around Bakersfield. Just looking at the numbers of days Fresno violates the federal ozone standard by only .001 ppm, there would be a significant reduction in violation days if both Bay Area and local sources were cut just a little more.

There are some new sources entering the equation. Studies are underway to examine trans-Pacific pollution from China, etc. The SJV is in the earliest stages of following up on a 2009 study in Northern California. The 2009 study measured pollution in the jet stream above Trinidad, north of Eureka. Their measurements showed time relationships to when increased pollution was recorded in the Butte area. The thought is downdrafts off the coast range and Sierras pull the pollution down from the jetstream into the Valley. PPT slides about that 2009 study:
http://www.wrapair.org/forums/toc/me...s_for_WRAP.ppt
A new study is measuring the jetstream above Big Sur to estimate how much pollution might be entering the SJV from Asia.

Rather than think only about "good" or "bad" air areas, all Californians need to think about what happens to the air pollution they generate. Local inland sources have to be dealt with, but Coastal Californians also have to take responsibility for what is transported inland or generated when traveling through the inland areas.

If you want to get specific locations for monitors, use this link. It gives lat/long/elevation (and street address in urban areas) for all air quality monitors in California.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/qaweb/siteinfo.php

Old 03-18-2012, 03:05 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryway View Post
It seems on the google images of Visalia that the air is relatively clear and the mountians are plenty visiable which would seem to intimate that what we saw was an abnormal occurence? We will probably be coming through there again soon, so will check it out.
You won't see the mountains every day in Visalia, there will be many times when they are obscured for different reasons. But yes this winter has been abnormally bad.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,389 times
Not Visalia.... I don't understand why people want to live with allergies and asthma, and be sick. If it's a suicidal choice they make, so be it, though. Keep in mind that these diseases are only a facade of damage from air pollution: just like mold on house walls is a facade of much bigger problems often; underneath it all is heart disease, cancer, chronic fatigue, endocrine and immune disruption, obesity, and eventually early disability and death. It's own choice. Redding sounds like WAY better option than Visalia.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:35 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Not Visalia.... I don't understand why people want to live with allergies and asthma, and be sick. If it's a suicidal choice they make, so be it, though. Keep in mind that these diseases are only a facade of damage from air pollution: just like mold on house walls is a facade of much bigger problems often; underneath it all is heart disease, cancer, chronic fatigue, endocrine and immune disruption, obesity, and eventually early disability and death. It's own choice. Redding sounds like WAY better option than Visalia.
I would rather live in Redding (save for the excruciating, relentless summer heat that rivals Bakersfield), but your hyperbole about valley air is kind of ridiculous. There are millions of people living in the LA basin and Inland Empire in air that is as bad (or worse) than Visalia's and they are on a whole healthier than much of America. One's lifestyle choices have more to do with longevity and overall health than a geographical location.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I would rather live in Redding (save for the excruciating, relentless summer heat that rivals Bakersfield), but your hyperbole about valley air is kind of ridiculous. There are millions of people living in the LA basin and Inland Empire in air that is as bad (or worse) than Visalia's and they are on a whole healthier than much of America. One's lifestyle choices have more to do with longevity and overall health than a geographical location.
I disagree. Of course there are many factors that determine a person's overall health, but air pollution is one of them. It may or may not be the biggest factor, but it shouldn't be dismissed all together. I've lived in the Valley and I've lived on the Colorado Front Range. I can feel a difference, and I can see a difference in the health of my kids. I don't know if I'm up for finding links right now, but I'm pretty sure air pollution has been linked to heart attacks and strokes, and decreased life expectancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California