Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:23 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Guess it depends on where but places near the beach here have been moving and still pricey.
Yeah, that's because those places are actually desireable, and generally established, communities.

I'm sure that a lot of the short sales that we're seeing are in places that exploded during the credit boom; holdovers from that sad time where everyone was under the delusion that if you bought a house in a planned community in the middle of the desert for $500k+ then, it'd be worth a million in a couple years.

If anything, I see this as the tail end of the whole mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 08:10 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Maybe where you live but not in Orange county beach communities. Homes hit the market and then sit, then the price starts to drop. Some people put offers but then they find out the bank won't approve them. Once a home price hits a certain low level, usually ~150K below the initial asking price, then the home goes into escrow. I have seen this happen over and over.
We are starting to see many short sales and REO's and very few regular sales.

I agree, RE markets vary a LOT. But I still believe that the correction, or what little is left of it after government meddling, is natural and needed.

People who have interests in RE in one form or another are blubbering real loud because they want MORE gravy to come their way.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:54 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,971,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, that's because those places are actually desireable, and generally established, communities.

I'm sure that a lot of the short sales that we're seeing are in places that exploded during the credit boom; holdovers from that sad time where everyone was under the delusion that if you bought a house in a planned community in the middle of the desert for $500k+ then, it'd be worth a million in a couple years.

If anything, I see this as the tail end of the whole mess.
Where I'm at in a beach town, we saw homes drop from >700K to <500K in just the past 4 years and those were the starter homes. In the Harbour you could not find a home below 1m and most were over 2m but now we see some homes in the 700-800K range for the low end. Most of the home sales are distressed and if you don't have cash you can forget getting a loan.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Foreclosure.....REO...whatever....the market in Ca is highly competitive. Lot of these "cheap" houses are garnering multiple offers the day they are listed....many of these houses are bought up by investors with cash.

The hoopla about a Real Estate crash is just a bunch of bunk.
Yeah, there's a fair deal of competition for these bottom of the market REO houses, especially after the owner-occupant period expires and investors can come in. Most houses in CA I tried to buy had multiple offers. The only exception probably are heavy situations like "no building permit" or "needs 25K septic"

Old 03-21-2012, 11:29 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,981 times
They're starting to dump big batches of foreclosures wholesale to investors... guess who's eyeing it already? Wall street. Another Hidden Bailout: Helping Wall Street Collect Your Rent | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone

Last edited by alexxiz; 03-22-2012 at 12:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California