Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times

Advertisements

I drove through Keddie this morning, on the way to Quincy for business. Sad to see all those abandoned buildings just rotting away.

As a result of the horrific, infamous Keddie murders I suspect the place will always be forsaken, and even feared.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 08:11 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Sounds like the perfect place for you to go build your church and preach to the masses - all 90 or so people left there.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:04 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
When I lived outside of Paradise, we rock climbed up in the Feather River Canyon. From our lofty vantage we could look down on the freight trains toiling up the canyon. On weekends it was common to see people the hopper cars, sitting in lawn chairs, drinking beer.

People would hop the Western Pacific Railway in Oroville and ride the train up to Keddie Camp, hop off, and get into a waiting car to go back down to the valley.

The story was that the owner of Western Pacific had no problem with people hopping the freights up the canyon, as he had ridden the rails as a young man.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
When I lived outside of Paradise, we rock climbed up in the Feather River Canyon. From our lofty vantage we could look down on the freight trains toiling up the canyon. On weekends it was common to see people the hopper cars, sitting in lawn chairs, drinking beer.

People would hop the Western Pacific Railway in Oroville and ride the train up to Keddie Camp, hop off, and get into a waiting car to go back down to the valley.

The story was that the owner of Western Pacific had no problem with people hopping the freights up the canyon, as he had ridden the rails as a young man.
That must have been quite a climb. Sounds like great fun. I did quite a bit of fishing there years ago. The canyon is spectacularly beautiful.

Looks like the Rock House didn't survive my last visit.

A word to the wise: don't try driving up Pulga Road if you have a weak stomach. Wow.

Lemme guess: you lived in Helltown (just 5 miles from Paradise as the crow flies).

Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 PM

At Grizzly Creek. there were a number of routes 1 to 4 pitches, some hard some harder. The fun part was rapping off one climb right down the entrance to a road tunnel.

I lived beyond Whiskey Flat, beyond Magalia, we called it Buzzards Roost.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:47 AM

Ah, I had to look for Whiskey Flat. I'm not familiar with the east side of Magalia.

I can only imagine spotting a pair of boots dangling overhead while coming out of one of those tunnels in the canyon. :-)

Ever climb Mt. Shasta?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:53 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
I bet you if they ran dna evidence through the national DNA database they will find one of the killers in there.

If not the killer, then a very close relative like they did with LA Grim Reaper serial killer. They found him through his son's DNA in the system.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Ah, I had to look for Whiskey Flat. I'm not familiar with the east side of Magalia.

I can only imagine spotting a pair of boots dangling overhead while coming out of one of those tunnels in the canyon. :-)

Ever climb Mt. Shasta?
Whiskey Flats was a party spot on the West Branch of the Feather, we lived in old goldminers shacks up the road toward Sawmill Peak.

I have climbed Shasta many times, and had close to a record time one year 5 hours from Horse Camp to summit. We would climb Shasta every spring to Telemark off the summit, 8,000 feet of vertical.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:13 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,981 times
Keddie resort had renters living there for many years after the murders.... I think the county had condemned some of the cabins that haven't been repaired. Once real estate market goes up, I'm sure there's going to be an investor who'll fix the place. Just like Cedar Lodge that continues to make money, Keddie will probably be another active resort in the future...

I'm pretty sure some locals know who'd done that. Perhaps after that person/s die/s the truth will be revealed.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:00 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
Most consider the murders to be solved now, thanks to the diligence of these filmmakers.
Cabin 28: The Keddie Murders<<< both documentaries now at reduced prices

Fascinating story. Why it hasn't been made into a feature film, I don't understand. You couldn't make this up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California