Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 PM

38,859 posts, read 22,845,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Yeah LA and San Diego are further apart than I think you think they are, they look close on a map but they're a good distance apart. And there's not really any public transit options that would get you anywhere easily--most jobs are not conveniently located next to Metrolink stations. And taking I-5 just from SD to Orange County would be like 3 hours on a good day. Just look for work in San Diego, it's a big and wealthy city--1.3 million people in the city alone.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. San Diego is a fabulous place, in my humble opinion. If I were offered a good-paying job in San Diego I would move there in a heartbeat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedwen View Post
My boyfriend recently got a job offer in San Diego while I am currently seeking employment in the LA area. We're both willing to take on some commuting so that the other wouldn't have to suffer too much (i.e. we don't want to simply live in SD or LA but rather somewhere in the middle).

If it helps, my boyfriend will likely only have to go to work 3 days a week while I would work a typical 5 days a week so I'd be the one commuting the most. Oh, and we DON'T want to drive to our jobs.

About us: We are a young couple and would love to live in a safe and hip area. Living within walking distance to restaurants and shops would be a plus. We'd pay up to about $1800/month for rent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We currently live in Philadelphia but will be moving in June/July.

It's called Orange County, hun.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,678,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
It's called Orange County, hun.
How did you know she was a German WWI soldier?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,165 times
Thanks all for the input. The reason I am drawn to LA is because I'm a young entertainment law attorney and I just felt like there would be more job opportunities there for me than in San Diego. But you're all making it seem like this may not be such a great idea after all. I guess I'll start looking in SD...for something?! Thanks again!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,586,608 times
What does your boyfriend do that the job offer in SD is better than your job oppertunites in LA? It seems like LA is best for you - can he find work in LA?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
What does your boyfriend do that the job offer in SD is better than your job oppertunites in LA? It seems like LA is best for you - can he find work in LA?
Hey, he's a law professor. His job is very competitive so when he got this offer we both were thrilled. His position is for two years.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:08 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,586,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkissedwen View Post
Hey, he's a law professor. His job is very competitive so when he got this offer we both were thrilled. His position is for two years.
Fair enough.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:24 PM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
Come out to San Diego for two years, and rent a place close to your boyfriend's workplace. He gets to work within his field, you get to do research in your field, maybe take temp assignments, and find out about prospects down the line. If they offer you a job in LA, try the commute for 3 months. You'll soon be convinced it's undoable (I commuted from SD to Long Beach for three years. Don't know how I stayed sane.) Then, after 2 years, reassess the situation. By that time you should know enough about the area to know if you want to stay in SoCal. It's a different world!

Old 03-31-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Come out to San Diego for two years, and rent a place close to your boyfriend's workplace. He gets to work within his field, you get to do research in your field, maybe take temp assignments, and find out about prospects down the line. If they offer you a job in LA, try the commute for 3 months. You'll soon be convinced it's undoable (I commuted from SD to Long Beach for three years. Don't know how I stayed sane.) Then, after 2 years, reassess the situation. By that time you should know enough about the area to know if you want to stay in SoCal. It's a different world!
LOL well that's just it...I don't want to commute from San Diego. I did some research and saw that the San Juan Capistrano Amtrak stop is about a 1/2 point btwn LA and SD. If we lived in that area, my bf would commute about 1.5 hrs on Amtrak to SD and then take a 9 minute trolley ride that would stop right in front of his office. My commute on Amtrak to Union Station in LA would be about 1 hr, 15 mins. Do you think this is also unfeasible? Is it likely that I would also have to do too much commuting once arriving at Union Station?

Thanks!!

Old 03-31-2012, 03:26 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,571,809 times
No matter which way you slice it......well, everyone else has said it for me..........YIKES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California