Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times

Advertisements

Fascinating map and data presentation ... a person could spend all day perusing this ... go to link and click on California map (it's a national study) ...fiddle around with categories and sidebar information links. The coast from Marin south looks mostly pretty good. But, whoa!, inland! What's up with that!??

County Health Rankings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Keep in mind, this map is only related to "self reporting" of health status, no objective measures except premature death rates.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Keep in mind, this map is only related to "self reporting" of health status, no objective measures except premature death rates.
I assume you only looked at a very few of the categories offered under the "Health Outcomes" opening map. Click also on "Health Factors", in the blue bar at the bottom of the left hand scroll sidebar. There are many many many categories. Much of the information gathered is from various, hard statistical sources -- some from surveys.

The study comes from the Univ. of Wisconsin's Robert Woods Johnson Foundation -- a very highly respected source. This is a huge study.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM

578 posts, read 1,294,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
The coast from Marin south looks mostly pretty good. But, whoa!, inland! What's up with that!??
Marin is high-income -- doesn't the inland tend to be more lower income? Income and health status follow hand in hand.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Quote:
I assume you only looked at a very few of the categories offered under the "Health Outcomes" opening map. Click also on "Health Factors", in the blue bar at the bottom of the left hand scroll sidebar. There are many many many categories. Much of the information gathered is from various, hard statistical sources -- some from surveys.

The study comes from the Univ. of Wisconsin's Robert Woods Johnson Foundation -- a very highly respected source. This is a huge study.
I guess I view stuff like level of education, recreational facilities and number of fast food restaurants as pretty irrelevant indicators of health. I know many posters here think those are great measures, but I see them as pretty irrelevant. Frankly, I find many of these studies to be fairly politically motivated (as in who provides funding for the studies).

I know a whole lot of folks who are now in their 80's and a few in their 90's, who were high school dropouts (many due to needing to help their families earn income long ago), worked in factories for decades and then retired to places where they never participated in any recreational activities, and love to eat fast and fried foods too.

Didn't hurt them at all.

Not trying to be dismissive here, but that is my own point of view.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I guess I view stuff like level of education, recreational facilities and number of fast food restaurants as pretty irrelevant indicators of health. I know many posters here think those are great measures, but I see them as pretty irrelevant. Frankly, I find many of these studies to be fairly politically motivated (as in who provides funding for the studies).

I know a whole lot of folks who are now in their 80's and a few in their 90's, who were high school dropouts (many due to needing to help their families earn income long ago), worked in factories for decades and then retired to places where they never participated in any recreational activities, and love to eat fast and fried foods too.

Didn't hurt them at all.

Not trying to be dismissive here, but that is my own point of view.
Huh. I think there are several interesting points to make about your thoughts, New.

With regard to the longevities of the elderly you cite as not having lived with a focus on healthy lifestyles: consider that they grew up before a lot of the toxicities of our present time were well established. Thus their foundational health was much cleaner than that of people now half or less their age.

Secondly: you are citing anecdotal examples, whereas the study looks at hard statistics, pretty much all scientifically established.

Third, below is the list of many of the factors in the study, the majority of which I wouldn't consider a bit irrelevant:

Health Behaviors
Adult smoking
Adult obesity
Physical inactivity
Excessive drinking
Motor vehicle crash death rate
Sexually transmitted infections
Teen birth rate
Clinical Care
Uninsured
Primary care physicians
Preventable hospital stays
Diabetic screening
Mammography screening
Social & Economic Factors
High school graduation
Some college
Unemployment
Children in poverty
Inadequate social support
Children in single-parent households
Violent crime rate
Physical Environment
Air pollution-particulate matter days
Air pollution-ozone days
Access to recreational facilities
Limited access to healthy foods
Fast food restaurants

Old 04-03-2012, 10:41 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Yes, there will always be exceptions to the rule - the guy/gal who lived to 100 while smoking, drinking and eating junk food the majority of their life. Those are the one in thousands or statistical outliers. But there is enough scientific evidence to support the facts which clearly demonstrate these things are bad for your health and in most cases lead to an early demise. Knowing a few may who have beaten the odds doesn't improve yours or mine. That's how insurance companies make money and underwritters make good business decisions. Its all based on the numbers which are already known.

Derek

Old 04-03-2012, 10:57 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
Quote:
But, whoa!, inland! What's up with that!??
A lower, overall, socioeconomic cohort....

Old 04-03-2012, 10:59 PM

ummmm, yeah ... it was a rhetorical exclamation ... guess I need to spell that out on this forum?

Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
I'm not surprised by Butte County's low rating. The town I live in is horrible - seems every other adult smokes, is overweight and almost no one has a college degree. Far Northern California counties are a mess from a health perspective (and I didn't need a list to tell me that - I noticed for years after moving here from the Bay Area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California