Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times

Advertisements

CA refugees comprise two distinct groups (but some have a foot in both).

0ne group are those who are part of the traditional culture of the Western US, and therefore increasingly feel like fish out of water in their own home state. At some point, they can't take it any more and move to AZ or NV (but generally not OR or WA, since those are going through the same thing in general as CA).

The other group's motivation is cost of living and real estate.

In some cases folks from the second group are not part of the traditional Western US culture. However some are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,035 times
Thanks, this is the group I was curious about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

Old 04-04-2012, 11:15 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
0ne group are those who are part of the traditional culture of the Western US, and therefore increasingly feel like fish out of water in their own home state.
This group, to which this poster belongs, does just fine in other Western states and fit right in. It is another group that does not fit in that causes most of the resentment and contempt that residents of these states feel toward transplanted Californians. This second group are the liberals, mostly well to do and educated, that take their far left Bay Area or West LA ideology with them and try to change things in their new homes. Arizona and Nevada have been mentioned, but when these leftists move to a Northern Rockies state things are even worse. The first time they see a dead buck in the bed of a pickup they get hysterical or even physically ill, much to the amusement and contempt of the locals. It is when these leftists then attempt to impose their belief in hunting bans and strict gun control that things get nasty, and make them wish that they had stayed in California.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:28 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:

0ne group are those who are part of the traditional culture of the Western US, and therefore increasingly feel like fish out of water in their own home state. At some point, they can't take it any more and move to AZ or NV (but generally not OR or WA, since those are going through the same thing in general as CA).

In some cases folks from the second group are not part of the traditional Western US culture. However some are.
Having spent much of the last week among hundreds of people who are part of the traditional culture of the Western US, I can tell you the traditional culture of the Western US is alive and well in California.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,562,259 times
Quote:

Thats funny. I think California IS the traditional western (US) culture and everywhere else went bat **** crazy. As a California refugee I don't fall into either of your 2 groups and I'm looking forward to moving back.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:18 PM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
This group, to which this poster belongs, does just fine in other Western states and fit right in. It is another group that does not fit in that causes most of the resentment and contempt that residents of these states feel toward transplanted Californians. This second group are the liberals, mostly well to do and educated, that take their far left Bay Area or West LA ideology with them and try to change things in their new homes. Arizona and Nevada have been mentioned, but when these leftists move to a Northern Rockies state things are even worse. The first time they see a dead buck in the bed of a pickup they get hysterical or even physically ill, much to the amusement and contempt of the locals. It is when these leftists then attempt to impose their belief in hunting bans and strict gun control that things get nasty, and make them wish that they had stayed in California.
Ya, I wasn't ready for the backlash of hysteria I got here the first time I skinned a Deer in eye sight of some passer bys. They acted like it was their pet Deer.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,495 times
I think the mistake is to subscribe to the thinking that there is a homogeneous view on 'gun culture' in California. Many people are not originally from here which makes me often get confused about what it means to be a Californian... I've lived here for some years but don't subscribe to the label of being a 'Californian'. I am a resident of California and my rational/logical thought have nothing to do w/ where I live. That being said, you'll find there are irrational/illogical people.. In the west/east/south/north/center... There are ignorant conservatives/ignorant liberals ... and so on and so forth.

I'm a gun owner. I don't feel California's laws esp. in my county are sensible but abide by them while I live here... And, given what limitations are enacted, take careful considerations about places I go ... and how i carry myself. When I move and go to a place w/ more lax gun laws, I will get a CCW and follow the laws there....

I support sensible gun laws .. I support intelligent thinking .. Personal accountability .. Understand and embrace reality : Criminals don't follow laws anyway and will always find ways to get the tools that help them commit them (guns) .. Gun laws should be sensible and to empower the individual doing right against those who choose to do wrong against them... while prosecuting those who use guns to improperly in a criminal fashion severely. Seems straight forward but, as stated, there are a lot of ignorant people in this country who don't think logically/rationally and based their thinking off of emotions/irrational fears/ignorance/PR/propaganda .. Such is life. For every person who thinks guns should be banned across the U.S due to irrational thinking/ignorance .. There is a cowboy who thinks sensible laws should be made even more liberal and turn the country into the wild wild west... Unfortunately, it's only these two voices that get magnified and the more sensible rational thinking removed from public eye.

Different state.. Different laws.. You adapt... as it were.. I am not so sure if this is 'culture' per say as much as it is the local 'law'... which from what i see on a state/national level are anything but influenced by the people .. and even so, from people w/ founded logical views...

Hunting.. I've personally never been a fan but if others want to do it .. that's their choice... It doesn't impact me and is frankly being a bit of a jerk trying to force my view of something that doesn't impact me on another person. I eat meat.. at the end of the day an animal is killed in order to get that meat.. Wth do i look like preaching to someone about hunting? Suffice to say, someone w/ their logic twisted will... and then go eat a big fat burger from in and out.

In all, i find the whole veil of liberalism in California to be a farce ... The true spirit of such a mindset accepts that there are others who have different views/opinions and that they should be free to pursue them .. So long as it doesn't harm broader society ... But in net, liberalism in the hands of an ignorant/irrational person .. the same as if conservatism is in the hands of an ignorant/irrational person.. turns into this beast of idiocy...

At the end of the day, rational/logical people who base their views on thorough and intelligent thought surprisingly can adapt and be just fine no matter where they go .. They enjoy others having the freedom to form their own views .. whether intelligent/unintelligent as much as they have the freedom to form there's .. but only ask when a matter doesn't impact broader society that laws aren't made to enforce someone's opinion on another man... Tis' the spirit of America's past.. Somewhere along the way its been lost among the circus of monkeys on both sides.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 04-04-2012 at 01:45 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 02:09 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,334,981 times
Welcome to Amerikuh where guns are the only part of the constitution we like to follow. Yeeeehaaaawwww!

Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyyo View Post
Welcome to Amerikuh where guns are the only part of the constitution we like to follow. Yeeeehaaaawwww!
^ as i was saying.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 PM

Oakland university shooting: Hundreds gather at vigils for shooting victims - San Jose Mercury News

Welcome to reality.. Welcome to California where all the conservative gun laws in the world wont prevent you from being mowed down if a criminal decides to do it .. But hey, you can be rest assured that the police will show up in tens of millions of dollars of gear after the fact to ensure the buzzards don't pick apart your corpse..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California