Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 8,621 times

Advertisements

My friend, her boyfriend and her two daughters (ages 5, 3), and I are looking to move in together when I finish undergrad. Right now the most likely candidates are CA (either in the "middle" near San Francisco, Sacramento, etc. or in the south near LA or San Diego), Arizona (Tucson, Phoenix) or NM (Albuquerque, Santa Fe). Personally my greatest preference is CA, but all three are proving equally difficult to find out information about - although part of this is most likely due to the fact that I've never had to plan a move quite like this before.

Some points of interest: since the children are young, a safe area would be nice (not necessarily "in" one of the major cities), I prefer someplace reasonably close to the coast (but if not, then oh well). Also any interest regarding public transportation would be nice - to help us plan out car use. If anyone has done a distance move like this (even not to CA), information about resources you used would be very helpful.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 09:12 AM

510 posts, read 3,200,599 times
If you're interested in the Sacramento area take a look at Roseville and Rocklin. Both slightly higher end cities, and more or less merged together. Tons of shopping, and safer than most of the cities you'll look at. BART (Bay area rapid transit) comes through so you can use that to do long commutes if they are needed.

It's about 3 hours to the coast (Santa Cruz/Capitola area), but another hour will get you down to Monterey peninsula. 1.5 hours or so to Tahoe area if you want mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California