U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 PM

152 posts, read 854,552 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about Cloverdale? I really like all the other cities in Sonoma County, so does Cloverdale still have that Sonoma County beauty and sophistication but in a small town?

I realize the temperatures may be higher than southern Sonoma County, but how is the ambiance, schools, employment, crime? Would it be unrealistic to commute to Healdsburg or northern Santa Rosa for work?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 09:39 AM

203 posts, read 741,075 times
I know people who live in Cloverdale and love it. Many, many people who live there commute to Santa Rosa, even Healdsburg, for work. Don't know that there is much work in Healdsburg though. Be forewarned, as I mentioned lots of people commute from Cloverdale to Santa Rosa. The traffic is horrendous! Traffic anywhere along the 101 corridor from Petaluma north to Windsor is horrible just about any time of day. You can find pockets that move along, but it's gotten to the point that I just can't stand going anywhere because of all the traffic (I live in Sebastopol).

I can't say that you wouldn't absolutely love the area. Lots of people do, and I respect everyone's opinion. I just don't see how anyone could disagree that traffic is getting worse every day around here.

The temperature in Cloverdale is definately high than in the Santa Rosa area, but you still have the small town feel. It's really a quaint little town, but it is growing. I'm not sure if I would say it's sophisticated...and I'm not sure how the schools are there. I have a good friend who grew up there and says that everyone knew everyone and she loved it. Her parents still live there and love it.

Hope this helped a little. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:45 PM

105 posts, read 563,898 times
elcapitan: I'm a former SoCo resident of many years--you've pretty much hit on the positives and concerns. Commuting to Healdsburg proper is very doable. However, rush hour congests badly at Windsor and getting to the north end of SR could be very bad. If you can, "test drive" it first.

Cloverdale will be much warmer than the rest of the county, but hardly enough to deter anyone from living there. It will keep its small town feel for many years to come, despite recent growth. Do believe Cloverdale scores at the lower end of "sophistication" as I envision you mean it. Doubt crime is a problem but easily checked out...

As a small town, Cloverdale's school district very likely has fewer problems than most of the county's other districts and is doable; as with any schools, investigate closely first.

It sounds like you really want that "small town" feel, but still within hailing distance of the county's other advantages. If so, then Cloverdale is very much what you are looking for--check it out and best of luck.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 6,412 times
Default Places To Eat

Cloverdale has sooo many choices for going out to eat! For out-of-this-world omelets and pancakes, The Historic Owl Cafe can't be matched! Lunch and dinner are so abundant in choices, the best fish and chips and beer.... RUTH MCGOWENS BREW PUB! La Hacienda mexican is great, Los Grisoles is great, Eagles Nest Deli make awsome sandwiches, Peking Palace is the place for Chinese food. Mary's for pizza and pasta, and for a great fancy place go to Piacere, wow. The list is long and the choices are many. New to the list is Clovers Sports Bar and Grill, reallly tasty!! Try every one of these, you won't be let down. There are several I didn't mention that I haven't tried myself and I have lived in Clvdl. for 18 years!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 21,045 times
I've been looking at Cloverdale as well after talking with a church there about a position. Wondering about the spiritual atmosphere - whether the churches sit in a "holy huddle" outside the general community or not. Would love to be part of a group of people loving their neighbors and improving the life in the community through service to it. Anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California