Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 12:55 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Winner: Sunset Western Garden Guide Zone 24.
2nd place: " " Zone 16.
3rd place: " " Zone 17.

Other than some overseas stints ranging from weeks to months, I've managed to spend my life in these 3, no small accomplishment!
Actually, I would say it's Zone 23. Unfortunately, it's a small zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Cali has so many areas with a nice climate that it's hard to choose. I definitely prefer Socal especially LA to SD but the Bay Area also has some nice contenders starting with San Jose, and East bay as well as Santa Rosa area. Still none are as nice as where I lived the last 16 months...Arequipa, Peru.
The best microclimates in the Bay Area are Fremont, Mountain View, and San Mateo, in my opinion. San Jose is a close second, though...although south San Jose is typically a few degrees hotter in Summer than downtown and North SJ, where the airport weather station is located.

Old 01-31-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Oakland is easy to validate based on the number of heating/cooling days per year.
Anywhere in the Bay Area is at least 5 degrees too cold in winter, IMO.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
I will need to dig up the US climate study I saved somewhere.

The reason I saved it was because Oakland was the top of the list.

The study looked at number of heating and cooling days of cities with a certain base population and Oakland was it.

Growing up here we never used heat except during the holidays with company... homes sold prewar often had no heaters.

Still today... not a single person in my area has Air Conditioning... 10 minutes away many do.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:55 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,439 times
Anywhere in the Bay Area has nights that are WAY too cold in summer (a proper summer night should stay above 64F on the average).

San Diego hands down has the best climate but even in a 'normal year' it's not warm enough. That's why the last two summers have been absolutely perfect; highs in the low 80s, lows in the upper 60s, occasional warm rain (no those two words together are NOT an oxymoron for you northern California folk). Winters also are MUCH sunnier in Southern California. Bay Area does get more rain, but you have to sacrifice sunshine hours and warmth to get it as much of it is cold overcast light stuff where you go days without seeing the sun.

Orange County and San Diego are far superior to anything north of Santa Barbara.

We are getting a nice, big storm this afternoon (1-2 inches of rain accompanied by hopefully some thunder and lightning). Yes, it's cold with highs only in the 50s but guess what? The rest of the week will be sunny with highs in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully, we get a few more big storms this winter with lotsa sunshine in between.

Last edited by ABrandNewWorld; 01-31-2016 at 11:23 AM..

Old 02-03-2016, 04:23 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,648,438 times
Default where does your county rank

ventura county #1, santa barbara county #3
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...atural-beauty/

Old 02-03-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I will need to dig up the US climate study I saved somewhere.

The reason I saved it was because Oakland was the top of the list.
The original source is Places Rated Almanac, which dates back to the early 1980s. San Francisco and Oakland tied for #1. I just don't agree with Places Rated's criteria.

The study looked at number of heating and cooling days of cities with a certain base population and Oakland was it.

Quote:
Still today... not a single person in my area has Air Conditioning... 10 minutes away many do.
I don't have A/C in San Jose, either. I only wish I had it about 20 days a year, max.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:53 PM

I found the newspaper clipping... I did not find the date.

Starts out with:

A Good-Weather Tour of the U.S.

What city has the most pleasant climate in the United States?

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released a study of how much energy is required each day of the year to raise and lower the temperature of homes in the U.S.

Using these figures we learned that San Diego has the mildest climate and Barrow Alaska has the harshest.

If you wanted to spend a year following the best weather around the United States it would be...

Miami-January
Hilo-February
Yuma-March (Also the sunshine leader)
Charleston-April
San Diego-May
Harford and Block Island tie-June

Oakland California-July
Oakland California-August
Oakland California-September

San Diego-October
San Diego-November
Palm Beach-December

Might just have to take a year and put it to the test... and California covers half the year with six months of the best climate.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
I found the newspaper clipping... I did not find the date.

Starts out with:

A Good-Weather Tour of the U.S.

What city has the most pleasant climate in the United States?

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released a study of how much energy is required each day of the year to raise and lower the temperature of homes in the U.S.

Using these figures we learned that San Diego has the mildest climate and Barrow Alaska has the harshest.

If you wanted to spend a year following the best weather around the United States it would be...

Miami-January
Hilo-February
Yuma-March (Also the sunshine leader)
Charleston-April
San Diego-May
Harford and Block Island tie-June

Oakland California-July
Oakland California-August
Oakland California-September

San Diego-October
San Diego-November
Palm Beach-December

Might just have to take a year and put it to the test... and California covers half the year with six months of the best climate.
That sounds about right, except for Hilo, which is cloudy and rainy year 'round.

Old 02-03-2016, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That sounds about right, except for Hilo, which is cloudy and rainy year 'round.
Strange the things we (I) keep...

What's even stranger is that I happen to stumble across it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California