Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 04:37 PM

147 posts, read 310,702 times

Advertisements

best weather is in the southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 04:42 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I know everything is relative to individual preference but wonder what the consensus is on the climates of California.

If you look at the state population it seems most people prefer to live near the coastline where the weather is the mildest in California; rarely hot and never really cold. Inland it is both too hot in the summer and can be chilly on winter nights. The desert areas, especially from Palm Springs to El Centro are the sunniest and warmest all year long but unbearably hot for about 6 months straight.

So what's the opinion about where the best weather can be found in California?
The Sonoran Desert (Palm Springs, etc.), maybe Inland parts of Orange County, like Rancho Santa Margarita.

Not a huge fan of cold summer days that SF and even parts of LA like Newport Beach get.

Hate the Santa Ana winds too.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:38 PM

147 posts, read 310,702 times
Thirty minutes driving time heading East from the coastline in Central California. Anywhere North from Santa Barbara

up to Monterey California.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,656,593 times
san diego.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:05 PM

522 posts, read 736,066 times
Vallejo in the San Francisco Bay Area has nearly perfect weather. Summers that rarely go above 80 and winters that rarely go below 40.

January (coldest month) in Vallejo: https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USCA1184:1:US

July (warmest) in Vallejo:https://weather.com/weather/monthly/l/USCA1184:1:US

Old 10-30-2018, 10:11 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
The Sonoran Desert (Palm Springs, etc.), maybe Inland parts of Orange County, like Rancho Santa Margarita.

Not a huge fan of cold summer days that SF and even parts of LA like Newport Beach get.

Hate the Santa Ana winds too.
Santa Ana winds are the worst part of SoCal weather.

I have been through several tropical storms as well as 100 degree heat with 80 degree dew points as well as snow in the mountains in Utah. All of those are far better than the Santa Anas.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:49 PM

2,891 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Pismo Beach to Long Beach

San Jose is my fave for a big city

Old 11-05-2018, 06:16 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,851,777 times
Newbury Park is hard to beat.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:14 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The best microclimates in the Bay Area are Fremont, Mountain View, and San Mateo, in my opinion. San Jose is a close second, though...although south San Jose is typically a few degrees hotter in Summer than downtown and North SJ, where the airport weather station is located.
For those who desire cool summer temps, San Francisco is hard to beat (along with Daly City and Pacifica). Yesterday, as I drove into SF from Southern California, it was 95 degrees as far north as San Bruno, but the temps fell off drastically as I passed the I-280/I-380 cutoff. When I exited the freeway at Cesar Chavez in San Francisco, the temp was between 64-69 (and even 72 in a few of the sunnier spots in direct sunlight). But I was shocked at how quickly the temperatures dropped within just a few short miles. Considering it was still hot in San Bruno, I thought that maybe San Francisco would be having a bit of a heatwave -- but that was not the case! Even South San Francisco at this time was several degrees higher than San Francisco, but as soon as I crossed paths with the incoming fog layer and wind -- Bam! -- the temps nosedived!

Personally, I dislike hot temperatures and love cool, brisk sweater weather, so naturally, I like San Francisco. I don't mind the occasional warm or even hot spell, but as a general rule, I prefer cooler over warmer. San Francisco has many negatives, though, and the cost of living is atrocious, but I'll take its weather any day! I live in Southern California but spend much time in SF each year -- and I'm always eager to bask in the cool SF weather. It's refreshing!

Old 08-27-2019, 05:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Born and raised in SoCal near the coast so the weather is what I became adapted to and love it.

Some like it and some don't, but it appears the majority do as it has the largest portion of the State population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California