Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 04:55 PM

730 posts, read 1,918,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Leonard -- I first came to California in 1966 ... I only lived there full time for a few years ... life took me elsewhere and I made my commitments to property ownership in Washington state ... however, I have never lost my love for the place and so not only continued to visit over the years, but have actually re-established residency.

So, my point is, even though I still split my time between WA, CA, and Hawaii, I retain my connections -- which are based in appreciation, not deprecation. I haunt this forum as a supporter, not detractor. If I was disillusioned and / or bitter I would simply cease to relate -- I wouldn't hang out to chip sh*t and make it my mission to try to convince others what a cesspool the place is. There are a number of folks on this forum from other states, now living in California, or that have moved away, who seem to be on a mission to deprecate the state. Are you one of those folks? Kinda seems ...
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

I am not really trying to denigrate CA, rather provide some balance, based on my experiences, to those who ask about living in the State, posts about problems, etc.

I am not bitter in anyway, really more saddened by what has happened to the State over the years. Not the physical beauty (Though the overcrowding in some Parks make it hard to enjoy it), rather the mess many people, politicians and the influx of illegals have created. It is my "home" more so than where I live now. It is simply a home with a beautiful exterior and inside it is falling apart. Everywhere, no, but the problems are so bad that I do not believe they will get better. I would like to see that happen, but I suspect it won't.

This does not mean I try to turn people away, as there are definite advantages to living in CA, especially for those who are younger than I. They do need to know a bit of what they are getting into, so they can prepare. Kinda like encouraging someone to move to FL without mentioning the humidity, being a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
It's like they feel the need to justify their move, isn't it? Talk about an exercise in futility... posting in the Calif forum about how wonderful Tennessee is. You'd think he'd be doing that in the Tennessee forum.

Is there a Tennessee forum?
There is and I do. Also other forums for States where I have lived.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I've spent some time in the rural areas around Jackson TN and it reminded me of the place I live now. I too am happy someone has found a nice place somewhere else, but it doesn't change the fact that there are spectacular places in CA and a lot of us that live here enjoy them.
Jackson is a very high crime area, even ranking higher than Miami-Dade County which is shocking considering its' a small area. Too close to Memphis which is even worse. I also think Eastern TN is much prettier.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM

444 posts, read 665,464 times
Must be reaally boring in Tenessee

Old 05-31-2012, 07:59 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Yep, ol' California is gonna fall off into the ocean under the weight of they sins and liberals.

California has always had a cyclical economy. Boom and bust. It's been on the verge of disaster many times, then came back wealthier than before.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:29 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yep, ol' California is gonna fall off into the ocean under the weight of they sins and liberals.

California has always had a cyclical economy. Boom and bust. It's been on the verge of disaster many times, then came back wealthier than before.
i have to disagree with that. never in all my life had i seen anything before like the dot com crash. and the price of housing going higher and higher even in this horrible economy. the economy may be doing better these days in silicon valley, but the cost of living there has never been worse. the $615 dollar studio i lived in is now $1500 and it's that much older with few repairs/updates. shoot, i used to pay $300 for a one bedroom in mountain view. and the building was only two years old then. now it's over $1800 with no pets or smoking or blah blah blah.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Jackson is a very high crime area, even ranking higher than Miami-Dade County which is shocking considering its' a small area. Too close to Memphis which is even worse. I also think Eastern TN is much prettier.

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf
Yep. Eastern, TN is extremely beautiful. The Smokies have more variety's of trees than all of Europe. The Mtn's, valleys, rolling hills, waterfalls, forests, rivers, streams, lakes .......... the list is endless and the green is beyond anything CA has. Mind you I like the Sierra Nevada's and everything offered, especially the majestic views, unique features such as El Capitan, and the Redwoods; however the Smokies in Eastern, TN has them beat for overall beauty.

Western, TN while having some beautiful areas is not as nice and has a much higher crime rate. I wouldn't move there.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
i have to disagree with that. never in all my life had i seen anything before like the dot com crash. and the price of housing going higher and higher even in this horrible economy. the economy may be doing better these days in silicon valley, but the cost of living there has never been worse. the $615 dollar studio i lived in is now $1500 and it's that much older with few repairs/updates. shoot, i used to pay $300 for a one bedroom in mountain view. and the building was only two years old then. now it's over $1800 with no pets or smoking or blah blah blah.
A one bedroom apartment with a mountain view costs about $500-600 around here, and can be as low as $450 in a trashy trailer park. It's all about desirability in different places .... in Silicon Valley, you're competing with some very high-income people for places.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Why on earth would someone drive this

When they can drive this at a small fraction of the cost, and not have to slave away at the office to pay for it?

Please explain. It makes absolutely no sense. With less than the downpayment for the Bentley I can get a KIA, paid free and clear. And both will get you from point A to point B! You idiots that want luxury vehicles can have them. I'll take the Kia and live comfortable with more money in my pocket.
Why would someone want an original Picasso or Rembrant or Monet when they could just get a poster for a few bucks?

You make the mistake of thinking all vehicles' purpose is to get from point A to point B. Some vehicles are pieces of art.

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 05-31-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
A one bedroom apartment with a mountain view costs about $500-600 around here, and can be as low as $450 in a trashy trailer park. It's all about desirability in different places .... in Silicon Valley, you're competing with some very high-income people for places.
it has always been cheaper in the places with no jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California