Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
A one bedroom apartment with a mountain view costs about $500-600 around here, and can be as low as $450 in a trashy trailer park. It's all about desirability in different places .... in Silicon Valley, you're competing with some very high-income people for places.
And at some point you're not paying what its worth.. you're just paying because you're competing.. Things get silly once this starts to dominate things.. Landlord : Rent is going up ... why? because we can .. we heard you guys are doing well and want more of a cut. My rent has gone up 3 times while i lived here... why? Just cause. California didn't get any prettier.. LOL

So, you're exactly right.... and at some point, it makes sense to go compete for a helluva lot less elsewhere. With this being a big center of immigration.. People come here for the jobs .. Not necessarily because it's California.. To many of them, many parts of the U.S are multiple times better from where they came from. In this sense, it has nothing to do w/ : you get what you pay for .. it has more to do w/ : you make more therefore the landlords/etc charge you more...

Facebook Impact on Menlo Park Home Prices: Video - Bloomberg

Perfect example .. 1.8 million -> 2 million .. why? Home sells for 4million on rumor someone is coming to town? What made it suddenly more valuable? Someone willing to pay it .. And cheers to both parties of the deal.. No thanks though for me....

As to this all :
The Beverly Hills Mansion With 10 Ferraris In The Driveway Is For Sale
Georges Marciano | Rags brought riches to Guess co-founder Georges Marciano, but now he faces ruin - Los Angeles Times

I'd rather live on lessor means w/ more freedom $$ and cash cushion in the bank.. But hey, markets exist for a reason.. Hope it remains for all involved or there will be big tears shed. This web 3.0 bonanza is actually expected to start delivering earnings and actual revenue and once the obvious is shown that it wont live up to its expectation there will be a heavy price to pay... And fallout for the other tech companies dependent on its growth for theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:40 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,161,809 times
But just to say, 5thGen, there's a wide range - California is not all like Silicon Valley. A person retiring has many options and doesn't have to worry about the job situation, and some people work from home.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,340 times
Someone help me please Idk how to create a post.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,306 times
Quote:
But just to say, 5thGen, there's a wide range - California is not all like Silicon Valley. A person retiring has many options and doesn't have to worry about the job situation, and some people work from home.
Agreed to this ! .. There are many beautiful and cheap areas in California and a retiree has many amazing and reasonable options outside the rat race hubs.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:36 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,926,029 times
Quote:
this is true. they have to have good resources to retire in cal though. and yeah, lots of people telecommute and take their big money to another state to live. i was just responding to your part that the state has crashed and come back better. i'm not seeing "better" yet at all!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

I am not really trying to denigrate CA, rather provide some balance, based on my experiences, to those who ask about living in the State, posts about problems, etc.

I am not bitter in anyway, really more saddened by what has happened to the State over the years. Not the physical beauty (Though the overcrowding in some Parks make it hard to enjoy it), rather the mess many people, politicians and the influx of illegals have created. It is my "home" more so than where I live now. It is simply a home with a beautiful exterior and inside it is falling apart. Everywhere, no, but the problems are so bad that I do not believe they will get better. I would like to see that happen, but I suspect it won't.

This does not mean I try to turn people away, as there are definite advantages to living in CA, especially for those who are younger than I. They do need to know a bit of what they are getting into, so they can prepare. Kinda like encouraging someone to move to FL without mentioning the humidity, being a bad idea.
Well, Leonard, fair enough and I can understand some of your frustrations. Here's a bit more perspective to chew on though:

Some of the parks are, indeed, a frustration ... and this is where I spend most of my time in California too. But it is where I spend most of my time in Washington and Hawaii and Oregon, as well. And guess what? Yep. It's a function of too damn many people -- nothing unique to California there.

As for the "mess many people and politicians have created" -- uh, guess what? Yep. Same thing. This is a reality of human nature, not endemic to California. If you think most other states don't have problems of ridiculous nature, you ain't looking. Now then, some states may seem a lot more manageable, but that's because they aren't nearly as populated and dynamic as California. Easy for Nebraska to get by on stupidity. They've got fewer than 2 million people and a total of about two industries: corn and pigs. Who's looking? Who's gonna protest? The hogs?

Now lastly, this constant reference to the "illegals". Give it a rest. Without going into the same arguments about what they do or don't etc., at least recognize that the influx is less than 50% of what it was 10 years ago and they are leaving in record numbers in the past few years -- all resulting in a negative growth and this reality is well documented. Anyway, they don't start wars that steal American lives, dignity, and dollars. They don't poison the planet or ourselves and our children with irresponsible and unnecessary products. And they don't cost our economy a drop in the bucket compared to what has been stolen and ruined by highly educated, sophisticated, talented, clever, citizen sociopaths in the financial and industrial corporate culture.

California is fine. People suck.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:01 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
the list is endless and the green is beyond anything CA has
some green California;

Old 06-01-2012, 11:15 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, Leonard, fair enough and I can understand some of your frustrations. Here's a bit more perspective to chew on though:

Some of the parks are, indeed, a frustration ... and this is where I spend most of my time in California too. But it is where I spend most of my time in Washington and Hawaii and Oregon, as well. And guess what? Yep. It's a function of too damn many people -- nothing unique to California there.

As for the "mess many people and politicians have created" -- uh, guess what? Yep. Same thing. This is a reality of human nature, not endemic to California. If you think most other states don't have problems of ridiculous nature, you ain't looking. Now then, some states may seem a lot more manageable, but that's because they aren't nearly as populated and dynamic as California. Easy for Nebraska to get by on stupidity. They've got fewer than 2 million people and a total of about two industries: corn and pigs. Who's looking? Who's gonna protest? The hogs?

Now lastly, this constant reference to the "illegals". Give it a rest. Without going into the same arguments about what they do or don't etc., at least recognize that the influx is less than 50% of what it was 10 years ago and they are leaving in record numbers in the past few years -- all resulting in a negative growth and this reality is well documented. Anyway, they don't start wars that steal American lives, dignity, and dollars. They don't poison the planet or ourselves and our children with irresponsible and unnecessary products. And they don't cost our economy a drop in the bucket compared to what has been stolen and ruined by highly educated, sophisticated, talented, clever, citizen sociopaths in the financial and industrial corporate culture.

California is fine. People suck.
Now this is a great post and some very good points were made. Yeah take a look at parks in other states. Mt. Rainier National Park in Washington can get pretty damn crowded too. What people don't realize is that places like Rainier, or Yosemite or Yellowstone are crowded not because a lot of people from the home state visit these areas but people from all over the world do I was in Muir Woods recently and at least half the people there were foreign. I can't figure out the logic people use when they try to say California's parks are crowded because the state is crowded

Another point you made, yes those places with larger populations tend to deal with more issues, just the way it works. Big cities have more issues than small towns. Populated states will have more issues than sparsely populated ones. Everyone talks about how growth is good but fail to realize that with the good comes some bad.

I'm not even going to address the illegal issue anymore. Talk about your broken records.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
I can't figure out the logic people use when they try to say California's parks are crowded because the state is crowded
Death Valley, gets less than a million visitors a year, not very crowded.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Death Valley, gets less than a million visitors a year, not very crowded.
I wasn't talking of just one area but thanks for that tidbit. Also, no one said anything about actual numbers, the remark is that the parks are crowded, not that they have over a million visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California