Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 06:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
WP is a 4th generation Californian raising six 5th generation Californians.
Apologies for faulty memory. I honestly thought I'd read awhile back that you'd moved there from the Midwest. So that blows my rationale of why you and Old Trader aren't one and the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 07:08 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,938 times
Sorry,I'm just jumping into this conversation now. Perhaps I'm in a Bay Area "bubble" of sorts, but I'm noticing TONS of out of state license plates lately...tons from Texas and Utah, Minnesota, New Mexico, Florida... I don't think I've ever noticed so many out of state plates!

I don't see an exodus out of here---just more people from other states moving in. I figure summer vacation is over for all schools yet the people coming from elsewhere remain. So for what it's worth, I see the opposite happening.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
WP is a 4th generation Californian raising six 5th generation Californians.
One must consider this as what? Bragging? Complaining? Mormonism?

Old 09-25-2012, 09:45 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
Sorry,I'm just jumping into this conversation now. Perhaps I'm in a Bay Area "bubble" of sorts, but I'm noticing TONS of out of state license plates lately...tons from Texas and Utah, Minnesota, New Mexico, Florida... I don't think I've ever noticed so many out of state plates!

I don't see an exodus out of here---just more people from other states moving in. I figure summer vacation is over for all schools yet the people coming from elsewhere remain. So for what it's worth, I see the opposite happening.
Its something very simple that I explained in a few posts, yet I don't recall any real comments about it.

The larger cities of California still absolutely have loads of appeal for young adults. For whatever issues the state faces, there are still specific career opportunities, while very competitive, are not as abundant elsewhere in the major metro areas of California.

However, due to the cost of living, for those who are getting ready to settle down, raise a family, or who are already a family, the lower cost of living in other states do pull them away from California.

What does this mean?? When a family with 2.3 kids (4.3 people over all) leave the state, yet two, even three young adults move in to take a shot at a tech startup, entertainment, or just to enjoy the perfect climate/beaches/mountains, you still have a net domestic outmigration.

Also, retirees, can stretch their savings/investments further out of state where it is cheaper. Retirees can always go back to California to visit, but their money will go further in Texas, Colorado, etc.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Apologies for faulty memory. I honestly thought I'd read awhile back that you'd moved there from the Midwest. So that blows my rationale of why you and Old Trader aren't one and the same.
No worries, CAVA.

Can't say I've ever been in the same room as Old Trader at the same time, so proving I'm not him might be tough.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
The official figures, show just the opposite. There have been several links that show this. The number of American Citizens from other states moving into the state is lower than the number moving from the state.

However, immigrants moving into the state that are not American Citizens is way up, and that seeing plates from other states often can be an immigrant from overseas. The total is up as immigrants from other countries replace long time residents.

The Cycle Continues in California - By Victor Davis Hanson - The Corner - National Review Online

Remember the percentage of White People in California is dropping rapidly. But on the other hands the number of Hispanic and Asian immigrants is rising even faster.

Latino and Asian Populations Rise As Whites Leave California

Hispanic students went past being over 50% of the California students in 2010, when the White students only made up just over half that number at 27% of all students. These numbers are higher and lower respectively 2 years later.

Hispanic students now majority in state's public schools

The educated white families are leaving the state and taking their children and jobs from the state as the companies leave the state. Remember, one company moves from California every week day, taking their jobs with them.

Look at what is happening to tax receipts.

California and California Sales Tax Collection Drops 40 Percent - Mike Shedlock - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary

California Tax Revenues Plunge; Businesses Exit "Taxifornia" in Droves

Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The official figures, show just the opposite. There have been several links that show this. The number of American Citizens from other states moving into the state is lower than the number moving from the state.

However, immigrants moving into the state that are not American Citizens is way up, and that seeing plates from other states often can be an immigrant from overseas. The total is up as immigrants from other countries replace long time residents.

The Cycle Continues in California - By Victor Davis Hanson - The Corner - National Review Online

Remember the percentage of White People in California is dropping rapidly. But on the other hands the number of Hispanic and Asian immigrants is rising even faster.

Hispanic students went past being over 50% of the California students in 2010, when the White students only made up just over half that number at 27% of all students. These numbers are higher and lower respectively 2 years later.

The educated white families are leaving the state and taking their children and jobs from the state as the companies leave the state. Remember, one company moves from California every week day, taking their jobs with them.

California and California Sales Tax Collection Drops 40 Percent - Mike Shedlock - Townhall Finance Conservative Columnists and Financial Commentary

Isn't that a good thing? Considering that Asians and hispanics may create more economic production per capita than white people?

Old 09-25-2012, 11:52 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
^ Nice try but even if you lay it out right in front of their face...they still won't believe it.

Some will just think that voting to raising taxes will solve all problems

Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

And the take away message is:

Run for the hills! The Minorities are coming! The Minorities are coming! Lions! Tigers! Bears! Oh MY!

Run for the hills! The businesses are shuttering up! The Minorities are coming! Lions! Tigers! Bears! Oh MY!

Hispanics! Asians! Flying Monkeys and Non-White People everywhere! Oh MY! Oh MY!

Where is the Yellow Brick Road? The Yellow Brick Road?! Oh MY!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Some people still do not get what is really happening. The message is not that the minorities are coming, it is that the people that can create jobs regardless of color, engineers and others that can develop new products and put them into production, people with the money to create jobs in a state with a huge unemployment problem are being driven from California to states looking for them to move in, and are being replaced with poor and uneducated people.

A good example of that happening is Detroit. We lived in a northern Suburb of that city in the early 1960s when the corporation I was with sent me back there as Division Sales Manager for Michigan and Ohio. Detroit was a vibrant powerful city. Look at it today. California as a state, is on the same path that drove out the money and jobs that Detroit has already gone through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California