Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 12:07 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
But for many, not the jobs to support would-be movers/dwellers. Not everyone can work from home or live on the ancestral farm. There is no broad-brush solution.
Can't they just spend more time at their summer homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nope, draw a line from Inverness, to Petaluma St. Helena, Woodland, Grass Valley, Truckee. Somewhere north of there is Northern California.

The Bay area aside from The City is just another mass of people, like Los Angeles, or Dallas, or Memphis or any of several hundred indistinguishable masses of people plopped down all over this nation.
North of Grass Valley? So Sacramento isn't Northern CA? Hate to break it to you, but it IS.

I know you fancy yourself all things California, but please don't make statements about your opinion when they are nothing but that.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:17 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
but please don't make statements about your opinion when they are nothing but that.
I wonder if you could translate this sentence into english?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
::::sigh:::: You're so wonderful. But if a village of 176, which is actually nine miles from our home, is considered urban then y'all have some funny definitions.

Don't own a horse. Not enough land. Ain't apologizin' for our income. Guess we just planned better.
Does any of this post make sense?

Old 09-27-2012, 02:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Nice try but you can't bluff away your arrogance and sense of superiority. Two put-downs in a row to two different people doesn't make you clever or intelligent, just unpleasant. Does any of that register with you? Of course not.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Nice try but you can't bluff away your arrogance and sense of superiority. Two put-downs in a row to two different people doesn't make you clever or intelligent, just unpleasant. Does any of that register with you? Of course not.
One sentence so grammatically bad that no sense can be taken from it.

The next a series of statements seemingly disconnected from anything posted before, or even from each other. Makes me wonder if Johnny Walker left the cupboard a bit early today.

You are right, I cannot, nor do I try to bluff away, anything, after all, I am me. It appears from the many statements you make about how wonderful my life must be, that you envy me; ranch, wait, ancestral ranch, horses, beautiful wife, big trucks, and all.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:12 PM

Nah. If it was so wonderful you wouldn't have to be constantly blowing your own horn about all your toys. They don't make you right, impressive or pleasant. But obviously you're impressed by you so have at it.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Another old time company leaving California and taking another 700 jobs from the state.

Campbell Soup Shutting Down Sacramento Plant; 700 Jobs Being Cut « CBS Sacramento

Old 09-27-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Another old time company leaving California and taking another 700 jobs from the state.

Campbell Soup Shutting Down Sacramento Plant; 700 Jobs Being Cut « CBS Sacramento
Yep! I just posted that on the Sacramento Board a bit ago. Also, Comcast is shutting down its call center in Natomas - 300 more jobs lost, though I'm sure India will be pleased.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
You do understand that you do not have to live in Mordor, you don't have to move to Kentucky or Oklahoma to live in charming rural areas.

You can leave Mordor.

You should leave Mordor.
I don't hate California. I just don't want to live there anymore. I'm getting tired of the mentality that you did something terrible if you left.

There are plenty of places outside of California which are desirable places to live. There are also many other factors in one's choice. There is the place itself, but there is also cost of living, old memories and sometimes you just really want to get away from it all.

I'm quite happy where I live. I have three large, beautiful trees by my house and soon sometime will have the yard fenced so me and the dogs can play out there. I've been up in nocal and if I ever were to go back to California it would be there. But people here are not in a hurry, friendly but not in your face about it, and this is what I needed. Maybe there are places like this in nocal, but its still going to cost much more, and I can afford here. Maybe there is a duplicate of my new home in norcal but its not affordable. Even if you can, why not move to where what you have lasts longer. If you want to see California, you can visit. And when you add in the rest the RIGHT decision is to leave. That is a huge part of where you choose to live. As the biggest inflow into Oklahoma are from California, I'm not alone.

I miss friends and local fandom, but then most of the people I've known for years have already moved from California. Bit by bit, family is too. They can't all be wrong.

A long time ago we tried to move up north of Redding, along the highway to Lassen national park. The trees are very tall and the air is clean and we loved it, but couldn't sell our house. But I needed to be away from the old, and sadly it was part of the old. And I couldn't afford it anyway.

And as impossible as it may be for some I love living where I do. It isn't California, but that's okay. If you had to live where you were born, especially if it changes too much, we'd all be sitting on the eastern seaboard. I have wonderful memories of California, but what I loved isn't there. I'd rather just not see it again and ruin my memories.

And this isn't mordor. I wouldn't even say west Texas was though in several train trips I made through there I closed the curtain. Just generally dull with a few moments of beauty. There is beauty in a lot of places if you don't wear blinders and refuse to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California