Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 PM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times

Advertisements

I'm no economist, but it seems to me that ratio of population to amount of money spent is not necessary fixed. Some states may use their tax revenues more efficiently than others. So a high-population state with a sound economic policy could be getting more bang for their taxpayer buck than a low-population state with a lot of government waste, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,447,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
It is helpful to slow down and apply basic math skills. If less money is coming in, less money is spent, isn't this what Conservative small government people want. That should be clear.
It should be clear but it is not for CA.

CA has proven that it does not get the concept of spending less.

So again please enlighten us how less working people will benefit this state?

You post the most ignorant statements over and over and over. No wonder this state is in the mess it is in...people like you at the polls. Vote to raise taxes...yep that will fix CA's spending issues

Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I'm no economist, but it seems to me that ratio of population to amount of money spent is not necessary fixed. Some states may use their tax revenues more efficiently than others. So a high-population state with a sound economic policy could be getting more bang for their taxpayer buck than a low-population state with a lot of government waste, and vice versa.
I think that is a clear and sound statement.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
It should be clear but it is not for CA.

CA has proven that it does not get the concept of spending less.

Quote:
So again please enlighten us how less working people will benefit this state?
Lowering the population anywhere, reduces impacts on the land and on services.

Quote:
You post the most ignorant statements over and over and over.
You keep saying this, but, your statement has much more to do with your level of understanding than it does with the fact based world

Quote:
No wonder this state is in the mess it is in...people like you at the polls. Vote to raise taxes...yep that will fix CA's spending issues
You appear to operate more from emotional belief than fact. You have never heard me say a thing about raising taxes. I support lowering taxes by 75%
There is something here that I think you do not understand. x comes in allows x to go out. If less comes in, less will be spent. If taxes are raised, you vote the legislators out.

It is government of the people, by the people.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:30 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
There is something here that I think you do not understand. x comes allows x to go out. If less comes in, less will be spent. If taxes are raised, you vote the legislators out.

It is government of the people, by the people.
Are you even educated in the least about how government works?

Have you taken notice of how CA voters vote?

People like you at the polls is why this state is in the mess that it is in.

You vote for your programs.
You vote to raise taxes.

And yet you think that less working people will help to pay for this mess that CA is in?

Yep I see your lack of logic.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM

Read my post, particularly my section on taxes, and do try and keep emotion out of the discourse.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Read my post, particularly my section on taxes, and do try and keep emotion out of the discourse.
This is a discussion. And not an emotional one. I can't help how you choose to read but believe me there is not emotion.

OK so let's be logical....

So you want to lower taxes by 75%

Do you think that will ever happen in CA? Right. Since that is not going to happen why not get real?

Even if they did lower taxes by 75% where is the money going to come from to support the all of the big govt. spending in CA? The voters of CA are the ones who voted in the clowns who have ruined this state. The big Unions are buying your politicians as well.

What will become of the social programs and the parks and roads if they lower taxes by 75%?

How about they get rid of the personal state income tax!

Get rid of the disability tax and if you want to purchase disability insurance then purchase it on your own dime.

How about charging higher property taxes on all of those expensive houses (that people with a lot of money can afford to buy) to make up for the loss of the personal state income tax

And last but not least....Stop spending what you don't have

Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 PM

It should be clear to a rational unemotional analysis, that the population will not decrease by much
It should be clear to a rational unemotional analysis, that taxes will not decrease by much,

But, I support a decrease in population, and a decrease in taxes.

The mistake you are making is that you cannot conceive this minor factoid, less people, less taxes, less spending, less services. Just like it was in the theoretical "golden age" of California, that the California whiners constantly refer back to.

You sound like some liberal, you want to raise property taxes to maintain taxes at a high level to support social services, I find that amusing.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
It should be clear to a rational unemotional analysis, that the population will not decrease by much
It should be clear to a rational unemotional analysis, that taxes will not decrease by much,

But, I support a decrease in population, and a decrease in taxes.

The mistake you are making is that you cannot conceive this minor factoid, less people, less taxes, less spending, less services. Just like it was in the theoretical "golden age" of California, that the California whiners constantly refer back to.

You sound like some liberal, you want to raise property taxes to maintain taxes at a high level to support social services, I find that amusing.
Are you kidding me? I grew up and lived most of my life in a state that did not charge a state income tax, a state that spent less on social services, a state that balanced its budget, a state that did not spend more than it had.

I am neither a liberal nor a conservative.

You want to see taxes lowered by 75%...that will never happen.

I want to stop the state income tax.

I want to stop the disability tax. Pay for it yourself through disability insurance.

I would like to see this state cut back on the free hand outs.

I think they should raise property taxes on the people who have money to buy million dollar houses...and Duh not for the purpose of maintaining social services. Think about this...if you can add two and two. If you rely on a personal state income tax to generate money for the state...what do you think happens when the state has 10%-12% unemployment and hundreds of undocumented workers? A lot less money is generated for the state...right? So then what happens...your govt. pulls on your heart strings and threatens to cut social services and the bleeding heart liberals run to the polls and vote to raise taxes since they can't bear to see the govt. cut back on free hand outs. See the cycle that has been occuring here? Get it now?

Let's see how fast CA turns around going down the same path is has been for years.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Are you kidding me? I grew up and lived most of my life in a state that did not charge a state income tax, a state that spent less on social services, a state that balanced its budget, a state that did not spend more than it had.

I worked for 40 years in a state like that, a state businesses avoid due to its lack of infrastructure

I am neither a liberal nor a conservative.

You can say anything, but your positions, including the emotional beliefs preferred to fact, are Conservative.

You want to see taxes lowered by 75%...that will never happen.

I discussed that already, pay attention to what I write

I want to stop the state income tax. I think that is a great idea.

I want to stop the disability tax. Pay for it yourself through disability insurance. I am not sure what you are talking about, disability insurance? Never heard of it.

I would like to see this state cut back on the free hand outs.

Free handouts? No free search and rescue by CHP and National Guard aircraft?

I think they should raise property taxes on the people who have money to buy million dollar houses...and Duh not for the purpose of maintaining social services. You said that already, unless you are simply mad at someone doing better than you, and making an emotional argument based on that, you are being "one of them liberals"

Let's see how fast CA turns around going down the same path is has been for years.

What is this terrible path? And why is it something you appear to fret so dreadfully over, when, you could buy a sailboat and spend some time on one of the best sailing waters in the world, right out your door and enjoy life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California