Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maurb View Post
He might not be to blame for the high unemployment happening in the first place but he is to blame for the blattant neglect of this state while he's been bailing out others in the mid-west, via the auto bailouts and the manufacturing sector. He has don'e nothing for the more important coastal region states like this one. Seriously- you think it's fine that this state has a higher unemployment rate than the likes of Ohio, Illinios, Michigan, or Pennsylvania??? That has never happened before in my lifetime. This is a first class state for pete's sake!!!

*disclaimer* I'm not a Republican or Romney supporter and I sure as heck don't listen to Hannity or Rush.
It was a first class state. Not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:58 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
The world's 5th largest economy should be doing better than a rust belt type unemployment rate..What's not to understand about that???
It will. Some people act as if we've never seen hard times.

Quote:
Huh?
"high unemployment from the rust belt (where it belongs)" isn't "united." It's more indicative of feudal Europe.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:07 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
After reading this again I realized YOU STILL HAVENT ANSWERED MY QUESTION!!! What do think Obama can do? Other than pretend the rust belt doesnt exist??? Yea! I thought so. Just more hot air.
Good point. The real problem we see here is the disillusionment of many people in our society looking for a god like figure with super powers to swoop down on a white horse and fix all their problems after an election. Then when this doesn't happen they are distraught, confused and perplexed. What happened? They are crushed. The answer is really quite simple: Reality. That person doesn't exist and never will. No presidential politician can jump to California's rescue and magically fix all of its financial or unemployment problems. It's a false hope and premise to begin with. This will simply never happen no matter what one may come to believe during a campaign speech, regardless of party affiliation - Bush, Ron Paul, Palin, Obama, Romney, etc...

And here is another question to answer. Would Americans be better off if General Motors and Chrysler had simply gone bankrupt, without benefit of taxpayer assistance? And since the money has been paid back with interest how does this bailout effect you or any American in a negative way? Instead it simply makes makes for good rhetoric and dead horses to beat during campaign speeches.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 04-25-2012 at 11:23 AM..

Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
For starters, stop throwing money away on the Auto sector(his backyard states) and lower taxes on industries like the high tech ones here that actually contribute something to the economy.

Basically, he's been redistributing the high unemployment from the rust belt(where it belongs) to states like here...Why you're not ashamed or embarrassed to have a higher unemployment rate than states like Ohio is beyond me.

Also, I'd like to know why it was OK to recall Gray Davis who happened to be a fairly competent governor(compared to Arnold and Jerry Brown) but you won't recall Jerry Brown. I'm not saying the economy is Jerry's fault but neither was it Gray Davis's fault and that was a much milder recession. For one thing CA didn't have a higher unemployment rate than the Rust Belt under Davis.
FYI, High Tech companies don't pay much taxes ...
Tech firms' offshore havens keep tax rates low

Further, California has a quarter of the nation's welfare recipients and has the most in the country ... Thank the worlderful inland agriculture industries for that (Maps are available on the web to show the extreme concentration of such individuals in inland California) .. What about the billions in farm subsidies? The billions in pork 'construction' project spending?

Solyndra ..
Solyndra bankruptcy was disaster waiting to happen | Green Tech - CNET News

and all the other govt. sponsored loans and guarantees ..

The whole nation gets its fill of excessive govt. spending/handouts .. California is no exception .. The result .. 15-16 trillion + in federal govt. debt.

Not sure if you a trolling or not w/ this silly post.. The liberal California nutbag representatives like Pelosi/etc are largely the ones pushing the idiot spending in Washington :

So, you're shocked that a liberal reckless spending democratic state in big debt, running big benefits, and giving handouts out the world over supports a federal govt. that does the same? wth .. *troll worthy

Old 04-25-2012, 11:56 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,789 times
Quote:
It amazes me to no end how a state with the world's 5th largest economy has been screwed over by this administration. Think about it, he has bailed out other states like Ohio, and Illinois which once had much higher unemployment rates, at the expense of this state. Now this state has a higher unemployment rate than Ohio and other similar states that Obama bailed out.

Why the heck is he in the running here, let alone being in the lead?

There is no reason at all why a first class state like California should ever have a higher unemployment rate than a state like Ohio...Come on!!! Also. why isn't Jerry Brown being recalled? As I recall(pun intended) Gray Davis was recalled for a much milder recession which was blamed on him.
I am not a huge fan of Obama, but I don't see how the federal government, which is running deficits of 10% of GDP, can afford to bail out California. Also, bailouts only encourage future profligacy and will do nothing to address California's core problem of spending too much. Obama didn't screw us over: our state and local government have screwed us over, in slow motion, over the past 3 or 4 decades if not longer.

Obama (and his predecessor) shouldn't have bailed out the other states, or the banks, or the car companies, or the subprime debtors, or anyone else either. It is not the federal government's job to save any of these entities from the consequences of their reckless decisions.

P.S. No one "imported" high unemployment from the rust bucket states. California's unemployment problems are in large part a hangover resulting from the housing bust. Why was there a housing bust? Because Californians created the mother of all housing bubbles, driving prices to clearly unsustainable levels and assuming reckless amounts of debt in the process. This created plenty of ephemeral work for the housing and related sectors, but it was obviously going to go "poof" when the party ended. Now we're lying face down the morning after, in a puddle of our own vomit, and you want to blame Obama for last night's binge? Man up and take some responsibility!

Last edited by jbunniii; 04-25-2012 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Some people seem to have mistaken Obama for God.... go figure
Not quite right, it is Obama that thinks that Obama is God.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:26 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
I am not a huge fan of Obama, but I don't see how the federal government, which is running deficits of 10% of GDP, can afford to bail out California. Also, bailouts only encourage future profligacy and will do nothing to address California's core problem of spending too much. Obama didn't screw us over: our state and local government have screwed us over, in slow motion, over the past 3 or 4 decades if not longer.

Obama (and his predecessor) shouldn't have bailed out the other states, or the banks, or the car companies, or the subprime debtors, or anyone else either. It is not the federal government's job to save any of these entities from the consequences of their reckless decisions.

P.S. No one "imported" high unemployment from the rust bucket states. California's unemployment problems are in large part a hangover resulting from the housing bust. Why was there a housing bust? Because Californians created the mother of all housing bubbles, driving prices to clearly unsustainable levels and assuming reckless amounts of debt in the process. This created plenty of ephemeral work for the housing and related sectors, but it was obviously going to go "poof" when the party ended. Now we're lying face down the morning after, in a puddle of our own vomit, and you want to blame Obama for last night's binge? Man up and take some responsibility!
I dont see there was any choice but to bail out the auto industry. Just too many jobs to lose at one time. Not to mention the entire industry,with families, without health insurance. That would have been a MASSIVE blow to the fabric of our society. And if I were a betting man I would bet quite a bit that if the auto industry was allowed to fail, quite a large number of the now unemployed auto workers from the midwest would head straight to California to start a new life. John Steinbeck all over again. You think unemployment and welfare are high NOW in California? Just let massive layoffs happen back east and see what happens.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Ask yourself the same question as to why the people here vote for the same names and faces for different offices over and over again and then complain that nothing ever changes.

The California voter fits Einstein's definition of insanity to a tee:

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

It'd be quite amusing if it weren't for millions of voters forcing their stupidity upon the rest of us. A bigger problem still is the partisan divide. People see the "D" or the "R" next to a candidate's name and think to themselves, "Oh, that's who my team says I'm supposed to vote for!"

So what do we get? Two groups of extreme idiots who don't actually have any concerns for the future of California. The Democrats just have a larger number of extreme idiots here. The Republicans continue to fall into the trap of countering with their extremes and never stopping to consider why they can't ever seem to win anything here.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
You ask "why is Obama ahead in California".

The answer: just look at the guys running against him.
That's absurd. Romney is no saint, but he is far greater presidential material than Obama ever was. This isn't even debatable.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:50 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
MOD CUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Not quite right, it is Obama that thinks that Obama is God.
I have found it curious that Conservatives frequently refer to him as the Messiah.

I noticed that YTF referred to government subsidies for agriculture. No subsidies in the fresh produce industry, grow it, sell it, hope for the best. But, then he knows as much about agriculture as I do about quantum physics.

Last edited by NewToCA; 04-25-2012 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: edited out response to a deleted posting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California