Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Tgif.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:03 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,849,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Tgif.
In other words it wasn't my mistake it was yours.
That's o.k..
Mistakes are allowed.
Have a good weekend.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
what if we all were?!
would that make him go away?
If I had to keep reading you loons I probably would go away. Fortunately, I can make you go away instead.

Are ignore lists for sissies and cowards? Maybe. But I know my limitations. I can handle the insults, but the endless lies, vulgarities, blasphemies and verbal sewage coming from your tribe just makes me angry and wears me down. I end up taking the bait, every time.

Have a ball, y'all.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 04-27-2012 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 07:23 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
1. The birthrate for white non-Hispanic females in the US is at replacement levels. Every other race/ethnic group is well above replacement levels.
2. We don't need any more people - 311.5 million in the US is more than enough.
3. The human race is in no danger of dying out - even in lower birthrate Western countries.

I'm old enough to know the quality of life in this state was better (subjectively speaking of course) in the 1970s when California was in the low 20 million range.

Last edited by BeauCharles; 04-27-2012 at 08:13 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 07:43 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
?.. Fortunately, I can make you go away instead.
But that's the hilarious part: you don't make "us" go away ... All you can do is stick your head in the sand while we dismantle your inane, repetitious, bigoted posts to hapless readers who stumble across your threads unwittingly. And, of course, you continue to read our every words anyway in the offline mode

Quote:
Are ignore lists for sissies and cowards? Maybe. But I know my limitations. I can handle the insults, but the endless lies, vulgarities, blasphemies and verbal sewage coming from your tribe just makes me angry and wears me down. I end up taking the bait, every time.

Have a ball, y'all.
Ah, suffering the slings and arrows, eh? Tsk. But it's just fine for you to write your blasphemies against intelligence, huh

Old 04-27-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
If I had to keep reading you loons I probably would go away. Fortunately, I can make you go away instead.

Have a ball, y'all.
Oh please, what a projection.
And you start threads that you know darn well will provoke and bait people and then you whine and feel hurt and victimized when they react negatively to you.
You're not a "godly" person. You are full of judgment, intolerance, fear, loathing and veiled hatred and you're incredibly dishonest / disingenuous and dangerously lacking in awareness of your shadow side.

Last edited by jaijai; 04-27-2012 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
But that's the hilarious part: you don't make "us" go away ... All you can do is stick your head in the sand while we dismantle your inane, repetitious, bigoted posts to hapless readers who stumble across your threads unwittingly. And, of course, you continue to read our every words anyway in the offline mode

^^^^^^

Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,604,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
1. The birthrate for white non-Hispanic females in the US is at replacement levels. Every other race/ethnic group is well above replacement levels.
2. We don't need any more people - 311.5 million in the US is more than enough.
3. The human race is in no danger of dying out - even in lower birthrate Western countries.
1. The replacement level for developed countries is 2.1. In 2009 the birthrate for white non-Hispanic females in the U.S. was 1.78. And, much to my surprise, the cumulative U.S. birthrate was 2.08 - also below replacement.

2. The question you have implicitly answered - "do we need any more people?" - is ethically problematic in my view. The very question tends to commodify human beings. This is where worldviews clash. The secularist sees childbearing as a data set capable of manipulation: the traditional family sees childbearing as a non-negotiable good, fundamental to what it means to be a family.

That said, even from a purely materialist perspective, population growth is a necessary prerequisite for economic growth. Population decline, on the other hand, is always followed by economic decline. There is a generational lag in both directions, but the rule is inflexible as iron.

3. True, the human race in the aggregate is not in danger of dying out. The imminent danger is that certain peoples, civilizations and nations will die out. That's not a matter of indifference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'm old enough to know the quality of life in this state was better (subjectively speaking of course) in the 1970s when California was in the low 20 million range.
So am I. But as someone like you probably knows well enough, correlation and causation are not the same thing. We can point to many places and times when the reverse has been true.

Generally speaking - and barring artificial conditions such as war, tyranny, etc. - quality of life improves with natural population growth. CA's rapid growth has been mainly due to in-migration and immigration, which is not natural and does create certain problems. But most of our problems in CA are due to what people do, not the mere fact that people exist.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 04-27-2012 at 09:27 PM..

Old 04-27-2012, 09:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
.... But most of our problems in CA are due to what people do, not the mere fact that people exist.
Like, oh say, preach mindlessly misinterpreted religious dogma that discriminates with broad brush strokes and insults human dignity? Like that?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:09 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,937,375 times
I don't have any kids and don't want any, but I have to say I mostly agree with Western Pilgrim on this one. Religious folks tend to have more kids. Non-religious folks have fewer of them or none.

Overpopulation is mostly BS. We have the technology and the smarts for more people to live decently on this planet. But because of corruption and greed, the planet's ressources are hoarded, mismanaged, and abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California