Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,085,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
'
Combine all that with low alumni giving rates compared to the state's most prestigious private schools (CalTech, USC, Stanford) and what do you get? Sharply increasing tuition at UC and CSU schools that are cutting programs. Sure, UCs are building new buildings, but these are projects that were approved and, in some cases, have even had bond, grant, or university general budget money secured for them for years.
Though the recent tuition hikes are unfortunate, they started from a much lower baseline than most other states. The tuitions in the UC and Cal state systems are still cheaper than most other states.

California has had a bad habit of not slowly increasing tuition costs, they keep them relatively stagnant for years and then they spike, then stagnant, etc.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say about Prop 13. I don't support Prop 13, but because the taxes are far too low. I'd prefer a more Texas like tax system, that is high property taxes and low productivity taxes with extra revenue (vs Texas) coming from income taxes on wealthier households.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 12:05 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
If it wasn't for the infusion of federal tax dollars into Huntsville it would just be another podunk town in the South. The engineers in Huntsville are being attracted by the federal spending and they are not, in most cases, home grown. This is a great example of how states like California provide welfare to low-tax states via federal spending.

I don't know an example of a state with high taxes that also doesn't provide more services/infrastructure than lower tax states.
How about Vermont and New Jersey?

Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think you kind of missed the point here. The question would really be will Facebook have future expansion in California, or will it open up facilities/add staffing in other locations?

One has to do with existing businesses, the other has to do with new enterprises.
No, I didn't miss the point. Yes, I understand what you are pointing out -- which is true in itself, as well. What I was pointing out is that, while companies buy other company operations and then close them down constantly as part of the contemporary model of leveraging business for profit through creating business market value rather than through creating and marketing products -- the most briliiant and phenomenal examples of lucrative start ups happen where these days? Right: California. This Facebook and similar kinds of businesses, however vaporous and silly to me, is resulting in tremendous revenue for California through the taxation due from the offering ... far more than that Capitol One office paid over many years. It is a shame that 800 workers are losing their jobs. But at the same time, where there is one loss, there is another gain. That's the reality of life in the universe. Change happens. Nothing new here. One disaster -- another gain.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
But let's say (okay, even presumably) that they consolidate those jobs into the facility in South Dakota. South Dakota has no personal and corporate income taxes, dirt cheap property taxes, and a 4% state sales tax. A seemingly palatial 1-2 BR studio (no oxymoron) in downtown Sioux Falls can be had for under $800 (I know, I thought I was going to move there a few years ago). While Salinas has no traffic congestion to speak of, it does have crime problems; Minnehaha County, SD, where Sioux Falls is located, has an almost Canadian-level crime rate and some great public schools. It also doesn't hurt that it practically borders Iowa and Minnesota if one isn't satisfied w/ the quality of South Dakota schools. Sioux Falls is also close to the state's two flagship public universities.

I like California, but if I were part of the acquisition team I'd also be vouching for a move to a more business-friendly climate. South Dakota is a no-brainer.
Okay, let's say they DO incorporate those jobs in Souix Falls S.D., which they probably won't because the reason they closed shop in California wasn't to move jobs it was to change the operations model ... but whatever. Souix Falls sucks, to put it bluntly. My wife was teaching there for six years when I met her. I have spent time there. There are reasons why life is cheaper there. I would eat grubs and roots in California before I would live in Souix Falls S.D. Everything about the place repels me.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:59 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
They said the same thing about Google.
Google may not survive the mobile revolution / "Dot Bomb 2.0."

Or it may emerge a shell of its former self, ala Myspace.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:03 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Quote:
Yeah, Huntsville's a very excellent example. Louisville, KY just also secured CafePress.com from San Mateo; 600 jobs will be added in Jefferson County, and I grew up very near there. Don't forget about Austin and Houston (yes, Houston has the massive Texas Medical Center), although they have high property taxes.

Last but not least, RTP in North Carolina. It may not be a Silicon Valley of the East in terms of the innovative prowess, but it kind of is just in the concentration of tech companies represented, its startup climate and the presence of Duke, UNC, NCSU, and nearby Wake Forest (like Stanford, Santa Clara, SJSU, UCSF and Cal in/near SV).
One thing many of the hubris infected fail to realize is the fact that higher overall population and development density in the East make it less of a requirement to have specific hubs ala Silicon Valley. I've done lots of business in the East. In one day I had activities in DC, Baltimore, SE PA, Central PA. There is a good amount of critical mass over the broad span of the East. Even the Mid West has more of this, relative to our intensely urbanized mega cities separated by vast stretches of lots of nothing.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times
I'd also comment that a number of wealthy individuals have changed residency to states like FL to reduce their tax burden. (ie. Tiger Woods)

Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
One thing many of the hubris infected fail to realize is the fact that higher overall population and development density in the East make it less of a requirement to have specific hubs ala Silicon Valley. I've done lots of business in the East. In one day I had activities in DC, Baltimore, SE PA, Central PA. There is a good amount of critical mass over the broad span of the East. Even the Mid West has more of this, relative to our intensely urbanized mega cities separated by vast stretches of lots of nothing.
I'm from Central PA originally, I have not seen much growth there over the years, some places have not changed much in 50 years in some parts and the only booming industry is Shale Gas and that's about it. Mainly that entire part of the state is filled with a lot of shuttered factories and not much in jobs but a lot of agriculture still remains. PA in general lost out on a lot of jobs that went to more business friendly places in the South.

Not sure what company you had dealings with in Central PA, the only one that comes to mind for high tech component sourcing is the former AMP, then Tyco now TE/Connectivity or Stewart Connector. AMP at one time was the 2nd largest employer in the state behind PA Government had their HQ in Harrisburg, after the Tyco buyout they closed down a bunch of facilities and pretty much wiped out thousands of jobs. Most of the work that is still there is around Harrisburg into South Central PA.

Last edited by blauskies; 05-04-2012 at 08:36 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yes they're mostly big box stores. However, they did not start out like that. They got to the point where they are due to taking advantage of what's out there rather than shying away from it.
Yeah, and as you said yourself, they are headquartered somewhere else. That's telling.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I'm from Central PA originally, I have not seen much growth there over the years, some places have not changed much in 50 years in some parts and the only booming industry is Shale Gas and that's about it. Mainly that entire part of the state is filled with a lot of shuttered factories and not much in jobs but a lot of agriculture still remains. PA in general lost out on a lot of jobs that went to more business friendly places in the South.

Not sure what company you had dealings with in Central PA, the only one that comes to mind for high tech component sourcing is the former AMP, then Tyco now TE/Connectivity or Stewart Connector. AMP at one time was the 2nd largest employer in the state behind PA Government had their HQ in Harrisburg, after the Tyco buyout they closed down a bunch of facilities and pretty much wiped out thousands of jobs. Most of the work that is still there is around Harrisburg into South Central PA.
Altoona?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California