Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 02:47 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,242 times

Advertisements

The assault on marriage and family in California never ends these days. Between the legislature, the courts, and policy-making bureaucrats there's a new attack every week. But I've got to hand it to the Lavender Brigade: they're getting mighty clever.

SB-1140 is couched in the language of religious liberty: “no member of clergy will be required to perform a marriage that is contrary to his or her faith.” Ah, but what it giveth with one hand, the other hand taketh away! The law would make a sharp distinction between civil marriage and religious marriage, paving the way for gender neutrality on the civil side.

"SB 1140 would also define marriage, in California's Family Code, as 'a personal relation arising out of a civil, and not a religious, contract.' ...

In an April 27 statement released by Catholics for the Common Good, May said the bill was 'a deception,' using the language of religious freedom in an effort 'to redefine marriage … and eventually remove from the law any public institution that unites kids with their moms and dads.'"

Old 05-02-2012, 04:37 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Now where's that link about people who are obsessed with homosexuality? I know I just saw it somewhere this morning ... You know, the one about people who fear their own homosexuality are often those obsessed with railing against it. Well, I'm sure it will turn up sooner or later, because .........

Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,560,832 times
Keep your religious nonsense out of my law.

Last edited by nslander; 05-02-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 05-02-2012, 04:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Now where's that link about people who are obsessed with homosexuality? I know I just saw it somewhere this morning...
Axe and ye shall receive:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/op....html?src=recg

Old 05-02-2012, 06:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
"SB 1140 would also define marriage, in California's Family Code, as 'a personal relation arising out of a civil, and not a religious, contract.' ...
Last time I checked, literally, almost 20 years ago, the Family Code defined marriage as a fiduciary relationship.

Leno is the author. What else is new?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
This is actually heading in the right direction but does not go all the way.

What's needed is a clear civil construct, called a domestic partnership contract and a clear traditional civil-religious one called marriage.

The former would be geared toward financial rights, care decision rights, hospital visitation, benefits, etc.

The latter would be geared toward procreation, custody, and prevention of incest, bestiality, polygamy, etc.

I know many gays would still oppose this because they want kids (but without a normal procreation process) but sometimes one must give a little to get a lot.

By the way what I've written here is informed by French law.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
This is actually heading in the right direction but does not go all the way.

What's needed is a clear civil construct, called a domestic partnership contract and a clear traditional civil-religious one called marriage.

The former would be geared toward financial rights, care decision rights, hospital visitation, benefits, etc.

The latter would be geared toward procreation, custody, and prevention of incest, bestiality, polygamy, etc.

I know many gays would still oppose this because they want kids (but without a normal procreation process) but sometimes one must give a little to get a lot.

By the way what I've written here is informed by French law.
That would actually be an improvement over the present dismal situation in California in which same-sex "partnerships" are already treated like real marriages when it comes to children's issues. I'd probably favor that as a step towards restoring marriage in civil law.

Of course, the problem with that is that it continues to give legal sanction to something that wants to be marriage, but isn't. It's still a kind of legal fiction. Thinking Californians need to get away from the idea that the law creates realities rather than responds to realities.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
"Assault on marriage" ... lol. It reminds me of a Louis CK bit:

It doesn't have ANY effect on your life. What do you care?! People try to talk about it like it's a social issue. Like when you see someone stand up on a talk show and say, ""How am I supposed to explain to my children that two men are getting married?"" ... I dunno, it's your s**tty kid and you f**kin' tell 'em. Why is that anyone else's problem? Two guys are in love but they can't get married because you don't want to talk to your ugly child for five f**kin' minutes?

Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM

In reading over the text of SB-1140, one can't help but be impressed at its legal shrewdness. In granting that "clergy shall not be required to solemnize a marriage that is contrary to the tenets of his or her faith", it essentially concedes that officials in the other seven categories may be required to solemnize a marriage that is "contrary to the tenets of his or her faith".

This is the new normal. Religious motivations for action are granted narrow "exemptions" by an increasingly hostile state. Except when they're not.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
It doesn't have ANY effect on your life.
LOL. If it didn't have any effect on my life, you wouldn't need a boatload of new laws to force me to do things your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
View detailed profiles of: