Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
That's awesome! I believe you should take the safety course even if you don't get something bigger. The DMV will take the completion of the MSF course in place of the driving test.
Thanks. It will reduce my insurance, too, although insurance is pretty cheap now.

I'm seriously thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 03:56 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,271,197 times
Sailboats not nice

I Share Cup - Extreme sailing series chavirages et figures libres à Cowes - YouTube

Old 05-28-2012, 05:21 PM

197 posts, read 299,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
The permit probably expires at some point, right, with renewal an option?

So, in order I'll need to:

1. get a permit
2. add insurance
3. find a motor bike and helmet
4. take the test for motorcycle license

Best take the MSF course , and take a piece of advice , don't buy *just* a helmet , buy the rest of the needed gear i.e. *GOOD* gloves and boot's , a decent jacket preferably leather and with armor.

And yeah you will be better off with full leathers.

Dress for the fall , not for the ride , especially for the first year. And don't get in over your head as regards power.

Buy something as a ride that's not gonna make you cry when you drop it or it falls over in the parking lot , plastic is expensive to insure and replace.

And you do what you want , but scooters are more unstable at speed. Your most practical choice is going to be a Dual Purpose bike of some kind , eminently reliable , crashable , friendly power characteristics , light enough and decent handling with loads of ground clearance.

Stay away from 'sport' bikes , *especially the Liter Class and above* , the vast majority of folks have no concept of how FAST they really are nowadays and they are NOT for beginners , you'll learn far , far more on a D/P bike , which incidently will allow you to get off road , which in turn will help develop skills that can save your ass on the street.

Here let me put something in perspective for you , a decent *stock* 5.0 Fox Body Mustang puts down right around 185 horses to the ground and weighs depending on version 3200 lbs and up.

My lightly modified '04 GSXR1000 lays down an actual 171 horses and weighr 435 lbs wet , the '01 Hayabusa here weighs right at 530 in the trim it's in and rips off 288 horses on just 10 lbs of boost. My Aprilia ( a twin) still is over 125 horse even though it's a twin.

And forget the 600 sport bikes too , you don't want to be dealing with keeping in the thing on the pipe , and the transition spike will put you on your ass just like the old 2strokes if you catch it while really cranked over and hauling.

Stay practical , save the profiling at Starbucks for after you learn to ride , and when you go to start hanging out at Alice's , The RockStore , NewCombs , Skaggs etc and start riding some of the stellar roads in Ca , ride your *own* ride............keep in mind the aren't handing out trophies for running The Crest or Backside 9 fast.........but they damn sure can hand you a ticket that would have paid for a years worth of trackdays.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A modern 500cc bike puts out insane horspower compared to 30 years ago. You really don't need much bike to get into trouble. Once that front tire comes off the ground it's a missile you cannot control.

No it doesn't. The 500 class doesn't really exist anymore. But yes the modern supersport 600s put out quite a lot of horsepower as compared to the old days.

More than many of the original front line Superbikes of the mid to late '70s.

The *real* insanity resides in the aftermarket , trust me on that one.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I put that in there as I knew it would surprise some.

http://www.horsemanshipsafety.com/mulloy.doc.pdf

regarding safety gear. If you were riding your bike helmetless, naked and shoeless, how much more careful would you be than suited up in armor?

I think that for far too many, in far too many activities, safety gear acts as a common sense depressant

Before helmets were required I often did not wear one, with the idea that at the speeds I rode at, it would be better for me to be killed outright than to spend the rest of my life in a care facility.

Whatever , as an individual who has had my ass saved both on track and off by the right gear I must disagree.

And that " don't crash"....waddaya got some kind of Magic Wand to make left turning cages and the like disappear?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Okay? Who says its okay to drive as you describe? Who gives the green light to do such? All illegal. Why helmets? If you need to ask .....

NO lane splitting is NOT illegal in Calif , it's a grey area. And I split lanes and don't much care who likes it or doesn't , setting waiting to get hit from behind in traffic because someone else is asleep at the switch isn't my cup of tea.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAmok View Post
Whatever , as an individual who has had my ass saved both on track and off by the right gear I must disagree.

As someone who has ridden for 50 years with one minor road accident 40 years ago, including several years on a Ducati in Italy with all that entails, I may as well worn Bermuda shorts and sandals and a ball cap on backwards for all the good any safety equipment has ever done me.

And that " don't crash"....waddaya got some kind of Magic Wand to make left turning cages and the like disappear?

Apparently

Old 05-28-2012, 07:06 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
NO lane splitting is NOT illegal in Calif , it's a grey area. And I split lanes and don't much care who likes it or doesn't , setting waiting to get hit from behind in traffic because someone else is asleep at the switch isn't my cup of tea.
You are correct: lane splitting is legal in California ... I got carried away with my common sense there for a moment. What it is Not, however, is sane. And how nice of you to not care whether you affect other drivers in their concern for your life and limb. Hopefully you won't end up being shoveled into the body bag -- and what won't shovel, hosed down the sewer. I have perfomed this level of recovery of remains.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:18 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
At the time of the big Harley rally in Reno each year, NHP puts electric signs on I 80 warning them Californians that lane splitting is illegal in Nevada and NHP will ticket offenders.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:31 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
Quote:
When driving my truck, I move over when I see a motorcycle trying to get by. Best to give room.

Often they notice and wave to me.

BTW, thanks for all that motorcycle advice, RoninAmok. As you can see a few posts back, I bought a scooter. I won't be parking it outside any biker bars, but I will be putting some bolt stickers on the side of it.

Tomorrow is my first commute in it. I spent part of the weekend practicing with it.

I'll look into some local safety courses. Taking one seems to be the overwhelming recommendation here. Who knows, maybe I'll get a real motorcycle some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California