Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Not really, we've had a term limit law in place for a while now and I think we are worse off as a result.
There are only several million other people who could fill the empty seats. Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:10 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
I could care less if you stuck an exhaust pipe in your mouth.

But the facts are as follows, 1 in 5 deaths in the US is caused by tobacco and it costs $96 Billion to treat tobacco related diseases every year. Saddest of all, 49,000 people die each year from diseases caused by 2nd hand smoke.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Fast Facts - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Tobacco is a very expensive habit, in more ways than just a small tax.
As one who has, literally, picked up pieces of crew mates from battlefields, and who has nursed and held a half dozen loved ones as they died of lung cancer, and who has been intimately involved in a number of other gruesome deaths of various kinds, I assure you that lung cancer is the very worst of the worst. Anything that can deter the criminal perpetuation of this habit is a gift to others not yet afflicted.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
I could care less if you stuck an exhaust pipe in your mouth.

But the facts are as follows, 1 in 5 deaths in the US is caused by tobacco and it costs $96 Billion to treat tobacco related diseases every year. Saddest of all, 49,000 people die each year from diseases caused by 2nd hand smoke.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Fast Facts - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Tobacco is a very expensive habit, in more ways than just a small tax.
I appreciate folks who are very focused on facts, and I have seen enough evidence to have substantial doubt about the second hand smoke claims.

I have little doubt that those in closed environments around extensive amounts of smoke likely have some negative health impacts. However, I also believe that the claims of damage and death from intermittent second hand smoke has been wildly exaggerated.

Dr. Michael Siegel, a leading advocate of bans on smoking in the workplace because of the harm from daily exposure to secondhand smoke, says the 20 or 30 minute claims are ridiculous.

"If someone is just exposed for 30 minutes, it's completely reversible"..."I think the documented health effects of secondhand smoke are enough. I don't think we need to be stretching the truth," Siegel said.

Myth: Secondhand Smoke Is a Killer - ABC News

Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
It's all about "feeling good," "not hurting anybody's feelings."

I gotta go on a jag for a moment...

I don't hate Democrats as political liberals, which Democrats now are and Republicans used to be, have actually brought us some great social advances in the 20th century, i.e.: weekends, ban on child labor, unionization of blue-collar industries, the Civil Rights Act. But we took the bad, also: affirmative action and Roe v. Wade (yes, I'm a pro-baby guy).

At any rate, forty years of legislative control by one party has resulted in initiatives like the proposal to ban psychotherapy or whatever it is to "cure the gay." Do I agree with the practice? Hell no. But who am I to criticize someone's willingness to undergo that and a therapist's willingness to provide that service? I'd also like to see legalization and regulation of drugs all the way across the board (I'm not a drug user and I know that would be a federal initiative), assisted death by individual consent, and to be permitted to smoke and drink on the beach in the parks, but I guess I'm asking for too much.
I don't necessarily agree with everything you say but I agree with the spirit of it. I think California is the example of what can happen when there is no moderation. We get stuff like Foie Gras bans, and two tax increase measures heading for the ballot. I also think the same thing happened at the national level when we had Bush and a Republican Congress and Obama with a Democratic Congress.

I kind of wish we had fewer politicians that were only beholden to their hyperpartisan base and had to compete for Republican and Democratic voters.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:34 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,822 times
Quote:
Not really, we've had a term limit law in place for a while now and I think we are worse off as a result.

I don't think term limits are the reason. It's not as if people who are career pols always get it right. Look at Brown.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trampass View Post
I don't think term limits are the reason. It's not as if people who are career pols always get it right. Look at Brown.
I agree, based upon recent political direction I'll take "fear of the unknown" over retaining the current bunch.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I agree, based upon recent political direction I'll take "fear of the unknown" over retaining the current bunch.
I've already voted--and gladly made sure I did not vote for a single Democrat.

For examples at the federal level, look at the Republican Congress from 2001-06 under Bush (TSA, baby!) and the Democratic Congress from 2009-2010 (Obamacare behind closed doors, baby!) under Obama. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, you know.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:52 PM

What an open minded state... :

Under pressure from health advocates, Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday removed a controversial physician from a state health board after she appeared in an industry-funded ad against a tobacco tax hike on the June ballot.

La Donna Porter, a physician at San Joaquin General Hospital in French Camp, had served since 2005 on a state advisory panel of medical experts

Jerry Brown fires doctor in anti-tobacco tax ad - Elections - The Sacramento Bee

Old 05-12-2012, 05:33 PM

4,322 posts, read 6,283,984 times
I don't care if the money raised from Prop 29 is used for other purposes. Any additional tax on cigarettes, which discourages smoking is good in my opinion.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:02 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
What an open minded state... :

Under pressure from health advocates, Gov. Jerry Brown on Thursday removed a controversial physician from a state health board after she appeared in an industry-funded ad against a tobacco tax hike on the June ballot.

La Donna Porter, a physician at San Joaquin General Hospital in French Camp, had served since 2005 on a state advisory panel of medical experts

Jerry Brown fires doctor in anti-tobacco tax ad - Elections - The Sacramento Bee
The path to Hell runs through Utopia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California