Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:39 AM

3 posts, read 28,155 times

Advertisements

I'm moving pretty some and was wondering if there is a list of cities with the least amount of gangs. I want to live in an area where I don't have to worry about what colors I'm wearing and I want to be able to walk outside at night without having to look over my shoulder at every car that passes by. Thanks in advance.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:02 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,438,769 times
Gangs are generally black and hispanic, are you black or hispanic? Why worry, the chances are much greater that you will die in an auto accident than by a gang conflict.

I read these posts and am always surprised by the number of people that live in fear of one thing or another.

Imagine your forebearers 100-200 years ago. They lived with far greater dangers, heck a cut finger could result in death. Disease killed vast numbers of people, yet they perservered and lives their lives.

Something some day is going to kill you, in the meantime, look for the good, not the bad.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:15 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
I read these posts and am always surprised by the number of people that live in fear of one thing or another.
"Fear of gangs" sometimes appears to be a code for "I don't want to live near minorities".

Commuting on the freeway is much more dangerous. Beverly Hills really is not that far away from Compton, after all.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:31 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,438,769 times
I walk out to get the paper at 6:30 in the morning, I usually run into Hector the irrigator, he is at work at 6:00 in the morning, moving sprinkler pipe, getting the pump running to irrigate the fields, he is certainly a minority, maybe illegal,,,, he is also there at 6:00 PM in the evening shutting down the sprinklers and getting ready to be back there at 6:00 in the morning, 6 days a week. 12 hours a day, 6 days a week, as he tells me, some days he moves 300 sections of 20 foot long 4 inch pipe.

I look out in the field, there is often a gang of 5 to 20 men with five foot long wooden shafts topped with sharp steel (hoes). The are minorities, likely illegal, probably gang members. They will work from 6:00AM to 4:00 PM, seven days a week during harvest,, when they also carry very sharp knives.

Their work enables the readers of these posts to eat fresh vegetables. Their work enables their children to eat, to have clothes, to have a life.

Certainly seems like a good American work ethic to me,

Old 09-19-2007, 08:51 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBubbles View Post
I'm moving pretty some and was wondering if there is a list of cities with the least amount of gangs. I want to live in an area where I don't have to worry about what colors I'm wearing and I want to be able to walk outside at night without having to look over my shoulder at every car that passes by. Thanks in advance.
To get away from gangs I would look at anyplace that is middle to upper class. From there, I would check out the crime rate and what the crime is that is being committed in that community.
Good luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 06:00 PM

Well yes I am black and the area I live in now is full of gang members. I know a lot of them but I want to not have to live in this type of area any more. Money isn't too much of a problem. I just want to live somewhere I can walk around at night or don't have to worry about wearing the wrong colors anymore. Wearing red in my neighborhood gets you killed almost immediately.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:59 PM

320 posts, read 1,732,775 times
Calis a big place maybe a little more info on area or at least a county.

From your post it sounds like you watch too much TV. I have been in Cali 42years and have rarely had any run ins with gangs.
You're only going to get in trouble if you put yourelf in that situation.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:31 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,335,624 times
I've been here the better part of nearly 40 years and have never had any sort of problem with gangs. I've lived in Redondo Beach, Torrance, Pasadena, Glendale, Los Feliz and South Pasadena.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:16 PM

I can assure you its not from watching tv too much. The area I live in is full of gangs. I was looking at South Pasadena. Is it really that good of and area?

Old 09-22-2007, 06:40 AM

210 posts, read 744,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
"Fear of gangs" sometimes appears to be a code for "I don't want to live near minorities".

Commuting on the freeway is much more dangerous. Beverly Hills really is not that far away from Compton, after all.
Arent Whites and non hispanics the minorities now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California