Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
What I see is that the pier jumpers willfully don't see the pier, they prefer to imagine reality, Pilgrim is a great example, Don9 was another, apparently Visit a Library, is another.

I find it curious, that Jesus said, "Love ye one another", he didn't say love the people who agree with you, he said love everyone.

St. Paul said, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

He did not say, "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love for the people who agree with me and no one else, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."

Christian is a verb, if one is a christian then the kind of love Jesus talked about should reflect in their every word and action.

That does not happen very often. Most Christians seem to be fearful and hate filled, they disguise it of course, and rationalize their behavior to themselves, but, they may as well wear their fear and hate (same emotion) tattooed on their foreheads, as all the world see what they are, except themselves.
At the risk of this thread being moved to another board, Christ's second commandment was, "Love your neighbor as yourself." I don't recall any exclusions or qualifiers although I'm sure WP can come up with some.

I am both Christian and Catholic. I neither fear nor hate. Most I know don't. All it takes are some aberrations to make the rest of us look bad. However, I am ever mindful that excess seems to be a part of the human condition.

As for this:
Quote:
Christian is a verb, if one is a christian then the kind of love Jesus talked about should reflect in their every word and action.
That supposes that we are, in fact, Christ-like. While that is something to strive for I think very few achieve it. I know I haven't.

Now what IS scary is the fact that you and I are actually having a real conversation here. 4...3...2...1...Nope! The sky didn't fall.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:09 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
At the risk of this thread being moved to another board, Christ's second commandment was, "Love your neighbor as yourself." I don't recall any exclusions or qualifiers although I'm sure WP can come up with some.

I am both Christian and Catholic. I neither fear nor hate. Most I know don't. All it takes are some aberrations to make the rest of us look bad. However, I am ever mindful that excess seems to be a part of the human condition.

As for this: That supposes that we are, in fact, Christ-like. While that is something to strive for I think very few achieve it. I know I haven't.

Now what IS scary is the fact that you and I are actually having a real conversation here. 4...3...2...1...Nope! The sky didn't fall.
Sometimes we just cannot explain the universe.. Being exactly as Jesus might be hard, but, working hard to emulate Jesus, or at least pay attention to his words, is a good thing. People like pilgrim are far too common, they only use christianity to support their preexisting prejudices.. Jesus don't like that.

Old 05-11-2012, 05:58 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
Christ showed us what he meant by that when he said to the woman caught in adultery: "Go and sin no more."

He would not have loved her if he had said: "It's OK. No big deal. Go and return your adulterous lover."

Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:

As for this: That supposes that we are, in fact, Christ-like. While that is something to strive for I think very few achieve it. I know I haven't.

I once remarked long ago to .highnlite that it would probably turn out to be an interesting table if the Chief and .high -- and the nullster -- were to sit together, under a flag of truce, over a platter of sandwiches. Stranger things have happened in the universe, but not much stranger. It would appear within the realm of possibility without homicide after all, perhaps even with humor. And I suppose we can thank the Pilgrim if the event ever comes to pass. Oh, and police brutality with pepper spray, as I recall.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:14 PM

And you told me you only ate salad!

I wonder if pilgrim has children.... wonder if one will turn out to be gay...... Guess he would drown it in a sack in the river.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
And you told me you only ate salad!

I wonder if pilgrim has children.... wonder if one will turn out to be gay...... Guess he would drown it in a sack in the river.
No. I said I "generally" am a salad for lunch guy ... I have been known to eat almond-butter and jam sandwiches as an occasional alternate. I even munch down on a turkey sandwich rarely.

What I refuse to do for lunch, however, is go to Missouri.
I will meet up in California -- but not if youse guys are inviting the OP.
Wait wait wait ... one more caveat: I will meet in California only if north of Santa Barbara. I am in Carlsbad / San Diego now and this, to say nothing of driving through Los Angeles to get here, is not going to happen again. Friends and relatives will have to come north from here on out. I had to do it one last time to remind myself why I usually stay central coast and north.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Downtown San Luis Obispo has a plethora of great restaurants of all sorts. Arroyo Grande has a new Lebanese restaurant. Great Gyros and Shawarma.

Course Curmie would have to leave Missouri.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
I'll bring the hot sauce to be sure we keep things spiced up.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:40 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Quote:
so really your nickname is visit a library but don't open anything.

Read the book, it is factual. Are your opinions so shallowly held that reading something that would conflict with them would make you cry?

If the book is lies, shouldn't you be able to tell what the lies are?

I find your thinking appalling.

The book is not ideological, it is factual.

But then again, we all know that conservatives prefer their beliefs to anything in the fact filled world.

I did notice that you did not attempt to refute my points about the relative murderousness of the Euros compared to the Aztec. I would think that if one had an idea, one would want to defend it, silly me.
As a general rule, I disregard books endorsed by hate groups such as the NCLR. And considering the insensitive racism in your words above (using the term "Euros" as if Europeans are a monolithic group -- how many Aztecs were killed by Ulster-Scots?) I think we can see the subtext of your arguments quite clearly.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 AM

Read the book, make your conclusion on data instead of imagination. At least look at the book and see if it fits your paranoid fantasy, or not.

Conservatives seem content to condemn things without examination. You have several times brought up initials. Initials may be meaningful to you, but, not to others. If you have an organization in mind, spell it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California