Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 04:55 PM

396 posts, read 421,917 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to CA hopefully next year. Of course we have to hear the horror stories about how horrible life is going to be there

We are looking at the Thousand Oaks area. How long time wise would it take to get to either Malibu or Zuma beach or really any beach from there?

My mother knows two people from CA, one in Thousand Oaks and another in Orange County I believe in Laguna Woods, and they both said that it would be a good 2 hours to any beach from either of those places. Unless you live ON the beach, driving 10 miles can take you an hour on any given day.

Is this true? I live 100 miles from the nearest beach now. I'm really looking forward to living only 20 miles away.

Last edited by TheLonelyGoatherd; 03-04-2017 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 05:21 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLonelyGoatherd View Post
We are looking to move to CA hopefully next year. Of course we have to hear the horror stories about how horrible life is going to be there

We are looking at the Thousand Oaks area. How long time wise would it take to get to either Malibu or Zuma beach or really any beach from there?

My mother knows two people from CA, one in Thousand Oaks and another in Orange County I believe in Laguna Woods, and they both said that it would be a good 2 hours to any beach from either of those places. Unless you live ON the beach, driving 10 miles can take you an hour on any given day.

Is this true? I live 100 miles from the nearest beach now. I'm really looking forward to living only 20 miles away.
Laguna Woods is about 15-18 minutes away from the beach at Laguna Beach. It's longer during the summer months because El Toro Road, the route from LW to LB, can be clogged during tourist season.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,184,606 times
Not sure it would take 2 hours from lag woods but beach traffic is a real thing in the summer. It'll take you over a hour for sure. I live in Orange and for me to visit my dad who lives by the beach in HB it takes about a hour

Old 03-04-2017, 05:25 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
It takes longer to find parking than the drive to the beach. That's from 92868.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:31 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
The person who told you it takes two hours to get to the beach from Laguna Woods must be a senior citizen who hasn't been to be beach in so long they've forgotten where it is. (Laguna Woods has a huge retirement community).

Thousand Oaks is a nice family-oriented community. You have a lot of options for beaches within shouting distance from there, not just Zuma. The time to the beach from there will depend on which beach you're heading to, and where you live in Thousand Oaks, but unless there's some major emergency, like a wild fire or accident, it shouldn't take anywhere near two hours to get to the beach from TO. For some ideas on beaches nearby see: http://www.trover.com/beaches/thousand-oaks-ca

There's a regular poster here who I believe lives in TO; hopefully she'll chime in with details.

This older thread might also be helpful:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ventu...sand-oaks.html

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-04-2017 at 05:45 PM..

Old 03-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Thanks everyone. So it appears both people are exaggerating. Why I don't know. And yes the people in Laguna Woods are seniors who never go to the beach.

I'm not going to let negative comments deter us from moving or anything. I was just wondering.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:34 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,781,486 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. So it appears both people are exaggerating. Why I don't know. And yes the people in Laguna Woods are seniors who never go to the beach.

I'm not going to let negative comments deter us from moving or anything. I was just wondering.
I lived in Calabasas for a long time, although I'm up in Northern California now. A lot depends on what time you go and what route you take and of course to which beach. I always went really early and came home before all the crowds hit the road to go home. Just for grins I ran a Google Maps search going from Thousand Oaks to Malibu. I didn't try to do specific beaches as I don't know if Google Maps can get that detailed. But it will give you an idea. Granted, the time is based on the time right now (9:29PM), but you can get a feel for the distance and try running some scenarios during a peak time of day.

Here you go:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Thou...1!2d34.0259216

Hope that helps.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:56 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
Kanan Rd. is the easiest way to Malibu. It's about 8 miles on the 101 from Westlake Blvd (the start of Thousand Oaks) to Kanan Rd. in Agoura Hills. Takes maybe 10 minutes. Then it's 12 miles (per the sign) from the 101 and Kanan Rd over to Malibu, and another mile north on Pacific Coast Highway to Zuma Beaches. Takes about 25 minutes to drive the canyon due to curvy roads and going over the mountains.

Kanan is the flattest and widest canyon. You could also take Las Virgenes/Malibu Cyn. to Malibu, a deeper, steeper canyon, which puts you further south on PCH. Don't ever take Decker Cyn. over; it has many switchbacks and takes forever to manage the twists, and people regularly drive off the cliffs there. A few haven't been found for years (true)

Old 03-04-2017, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the tip! I just looked at a map and yes, Kanan looks like the easiest to navigate. That's horrible about people driving off cliffs. That would be my exact fear on those roads.

Old 03-04-2017, 11:26 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,048,732 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I just looked at a map and yes, Kanan looks like the easiest to navigate. That's horrible about people driving off cliffs. That would be my exact fear on those roads.
Not to freak you out further, but I wouldn't drive Malibu Cyn. during or after a heavy rain (rock falls) although it's fine the rest of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California