Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 PM

7 posts, read 11,327 times

Advertisements

or am I justified in being concerned?

I got a job offer in California and when my son found out, he said "I can smoke without getting arrested!!! Awesome!" When I talked to him about it he said he's been wanting to try smoking but he's always been too afraid of getting caught by cops. I'm extremely against marijuana (if you aren't against it that's fine, please don't turn this into something other than what it is) and do not want my son to get into this habit.

Is it really completely decriminalized in Cali? Is there anything stopping people from smoking weed in Cali? If you get caught with some on you, what happens?

I am seriously considering not accepting this job offer and accepting a different one out in North Carolina instead even though the one in Cali is offering a little bit better pay.

I understand I cannot completely block my kids from drugs, alcohol, ect ect however I would like to do the best I can. I understand they can get into these habits anywhere but I am still concerned. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Federal laws apply to California too, and they have been somewhat cracking down on the marijuana distribution.

Also, if you get caught driving while high, the outcome isn't pleasant.

However, culturally speaking they are pretty casual about drug use out here, so you may want to take that into consideration in making your decision.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:49 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
How old is your son?

Sounds like you're worrying a bit too much, you do need to have some kind of debilitating illness to legally use marijuana in CA.

If your kid is going to smoke weed, he is going to do it in Colorado or California - doesn't matter.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedmomfromcolorado View Post
I am seriously considering not accepting this job offer and accepting a different one out in North Carolina instead even though the one in Cali is offering a little bit better pay.
Anything else separating NC, CO, and CA? If the pay in CA is only a little better, you can probably live better in NC.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 PM

7 posts, read 11,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Anything else separating NC, CO, and CA? If the pay in CA is only a little better, you can probably live better in NC.
Well besides the pay being a little better the reason why I originally wanted to move to Cali instead of NC is because I've always wanted to live there. I just find it absolutely beautiful, especially northern California. I have lived in NC before and it was just okay to me.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,698,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedmomfromcolorado View Post
Well besides the pay being a little better the reason why I originally wanted to move to Cali instead of NC is because I've always wanted to live there. I just find it absolutely beautiful, especially northern California. I have lived in NC before and it was just okay to me.
I have been to both places. I wouldn't want to live in NC. That is just me, however.

More importantly, the issue is your son's attitude toward marijuana use. You don't say how old he is. I say, sit him down, lay down the law and tell him there will be consequences if he chooses to smoke weed. If he lives with you, it's YOUR house and YOUR rules, regardless of his age. End of discussion. When I was a teenager, my mother had an unbreakable, cardinal rule: no driving if I had even a DROP of booze in me. Whatever issues I had with my mom, I will thank God every day of my life for that being drummed into me ruthlessly. To this day, I appoint myself the designated driver when out with friends. I have no regrets. None.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
The issue is a tad bit more complex then it looks. First off, possession of less then one once of marijuana is "technically" a misdemeanor in California (11347b HS). I say technically, because most counties, including Alameda County, treat it as an infraction. In fact, in Alameda County the case is heard in traffic court, like all infractions. However, having said that, another county which is more conservative, say Alpine County could still prosecute it as a misdemeanor. Depends upon the local politics of the area your in. California (by the way, no one calls it Cali) is a large state and, like it or not, local politics play into the criminal justice system.

As others have said, you didn't mention the age of your son. That has HUGE impact. If he is a minor, just the mere possession of it "can," I emphasis CAN, not WILL, effect his drivers license. Its quite common for minors who are caught in possession of marijuana, to have their licenses suspended for a year and/or held up altogether. The vehicle code has a section in it for possession of marijuana in car. This section came have even more of an impact on his drivers license status. Again, I emphasis CAN, not necessarily will. It all depends upon a lot of things: The officer who stops him, the judge, and local politics.

However, ask yourself if you, or for that matter he, is worth smoking a joint over? While California's laws are fairly relaxed regarding marijuana possession of personal use (forget selling, distributing, and/or transporting which are felonies and an entirely different animal), is it worth it?

Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
For god sakes - dont move to NC....and this is coming from a native. Think long and strong about your decision.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
I would not want to raise my kids in the CA of today. We barely made it out alive having raised 3 in the past. Stay put.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:00 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
. However, having said that, another county which is more conservative, say Alpine County could still prosecute it as a misdemeanor.
Just an observation, but Alpine county has 2 ski areas in it (Kirkwood and Bear Valley) and half the population lives in them. While Markleeville, the county seat, is probably much more conservative, I'd be willing to bet that the deputies in the ski area have more important things to do than pop people for small quantities.

When I lived in Bear Valley in the 70's and again in the 90's, the local sergeant pretty much said "felonies only after 5:00 please".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California