Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 PM

5,981 posts, read 13,121,497 times

Advertisements

With all the talk about people not being able to afford California, wanting to move out of state, get more for your money, etc.

When I talk to people there are people that are attracted to Vegas or Phoenix for example. But why? The economy is not stellar in those places, and the Inland Empire (which certainly has nice areas, in addition to not so nice areas) is n't that much more expensive. I know people disagree with California politics, and have every reason under the sun to leave, whatever,

but would the attraction of Vegas or Phoenix be? Moving to Phoenix from greater LA, is like someone from the Chicago area moving to Indianapolis.

I know some people love Vegas, but it really holds no appeal to me. That is a REAL fake/superficial city to the nth degree. LA has just as much soul and heritage as eastern cities do, just in a west coast way.

I know San Bernadino and Riverside counties don't have a lot going on, but there are nice areas that have there own job centers such as Rancho Cucamonga/Ontario airport area.

Anyways, not to knock Phoenix or Vegas, but if you have roots and connections to LA, but are looking for affordable housing in good areas, why not those areas of SB and Riverside counties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
There's no income tax in Nevada for starters. I know a retired couple in the process of moving out there in large part due to the taxes in California.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Because taxes/COL and commute.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,138,655 times
Yup. Those other locations do not have a ~10% state income tax.

But also note that a ton of southern Californians from LA/OC have populated the Inland Empire over the past 10-15 years.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Having grown up in the IE, I can state that if God decided Earth needed an enema, He would surely choose San Bernardino for the point of application. I would rather extinguish hot cigarettes on my tongue hourly rather than return to live in that place.

Las Vegas is one of the entertainment capitals of the world, with more celebrity chefs per capita than any place else on the planet, with world-class shows 2nd only to New York City.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:08 AM

378 posts, read 761,029 times
You basically answered your own question:

Politics. Inside every Nevadan, no matter what party affiliation, is a teeny bit of Libertarian.
Cost of living: cheaper. No state income tax. Lower sales tax. Houses a fraction of California prices.
24 hour lifestyle: I had to learn new shopping habits when I moved here--I can't just run to any store at midnight in California!

I find where I am in California WAY more fake than Las Vegas. I suppose some of the newer areas in the far southern and western reaches of the valley may be more fake, but they're not the majority of Las Vegas. And the Strip--forget it. That's just for tourists. That's not the real Vegas at all.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:43 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,797 times
Because some people just prefer living in a different state or environment or have other personal reasons...I'm one of those Californians though that would rather just visit Vegas or Phoenix because neither one of those places attracts me to live in,but if I had a choice between living in the Greater L.A Region or Vegas or Phoenix,I would definately choose L.A.

L.A offers a much more Variety/Diversity of practically everything for all ages and types,
Which makes it much more interesting to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
With all the talk about people not being able to afford California, wanting to move out of state, get more for your money, etc.

When I talk to people there are people that are attracted to Vegas or Phoenix for example. But why? The economy is not stellar in those places, and the Inland Empire (which certainly has nice areas, in addition to not so nice areas) is n't that much more expensive. I know people disagree with California politics, and have every reason under the sun to leave, whatever,

but would the attraction of Vegas or Phoenix be? Moving to Phoenix from greater LA, is like someone from the Chicago area moving to Indianapolis.

I know some people love Vegas, but it really holds no appeal to me. That is a REAL fake/superficial city to the nth degree. LA has just as much soul and heritage as eastern cities do, just in a west coast way.

I know San Bernadino and Riverside counties don't have a lot going on, but there are nice areas that have there own job centers such as Rancho Cucamonga/Ontario airport area.

Anyways, not to knock Phoenix or Vegas, but if you have roots and connections to LA, but are looking for affordable housing in good areas, why not those areas of SB and Riverside counties?

Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 AM

245 posts, read 545,381 times
I have never understood that either. Phoenix and Vegas are hot most of the year, no beach close by surrounded by sand and boredom.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:14 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Many people prefer less painful breathing.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce81 View Post
I have never understood that either. Phoenix and Vegas are hot most of the year, no beach close by surrounded by sand and boredom.
Both states are little more than big beaches. It just takes awhile to walk to the edge of the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California