Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 06:21 PM

203 posts, read 956,801 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Alaska to Florida in December and we were wondering if you had any suggestions on what to see while we drive.

Is the coast pretty in December?
lots of rain?
Temps?
Any pics of the coast in the winter you could share? Or any pics in general.

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 12:08 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,491,119 times
The coast is always pretty. December weather is hit and miss. It could be a beautiful day, or it could be raining. Temperatures will probably be in the 60s. I don't have any pictures of the northern California coast, but maybe someone else would like to share theirs?

I've heard that Carmel is pretty, and so is Monterey. Have a great trip!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:44 AM

169 posts, read 761,935 times
Wow, you are really going out of your way to get to Florida. Is that the intent?
I grew up in Alaska, and taking the Alcan down is an adventure all of its own!
Just look at it this way...any place, any coastline, any southern 48, are going to be much warmer than Alaska. So, you can't lose, wherever you might go!!
Good Luck!!

Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM

609 posts, read 2,233,784 times
Since you are moving from Alaska to Florida and have asked this in the California forum, I am assuming that you are going to be in California for the road trip.

If yes, then as Sandy said the coast could be a hit and a miss. It definitely would be a little chilly depending on the time of day as well. The Bay area definitely gets a lot cooler and so does the Central coast once the sun sets. It is always advisable to carry light jackets in your cars since the temperature drops drastically after sunset.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:21 PM

110 posts, read 751,212 times
Big Sur highway one

Old 09-21-2007, 02:47 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,419,949 times
The California coast from Oregon to Morro Bay (highway 1) is much more mountainous and scenic than many are aware of. It really is very dramatic. If it is stormy the waves crashing against the sea stacks, rocks and cliffs is not to be missed. If it is stormy, pay attention to road conditions along Big Sur, the drive ranks with the Amalfi Coast road as perhaps the two most dramatic drives in the world, but, the road sometimes closes due to weather related events.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:08 PM

203 posts, read 956,801 times
SandyCo- Thank you! I'm OK with rain, its the snow we are trying to avoid on this trip.

AlwaysSmiling- Yes, it is our intent to make a super long road trip. We are driving to Haines, then taking the ferry to Bellingham. We will then take a long drive through the West coast, then to the southern states until we reach Tampa.

tigerclaws- Yes, we are driving through California(I guess I forgot to say that.) Heck, a light jacket is NOTHING I was checking the weather for a part of AK that we are going through and the average HIGH is -2(avg low of -19.)

greatbasinguide- your description of the coast made me want to leave today!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:11 PM

144 posts, read 635,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
The California coast from Oregon to Morro Bay (highway 1) is much more mountainous and scenic than many are aware of. It really is very dramatic. If it is stormy the waves crashing against the sea stacks, rocks and cliffs is not to be missed. If it is stormy, pay attention to road conditions along Big Sur, the drive ranks with the Amalfi Coast road as perhaps the two most dramatic drives in the world, but, the road sometimes closes due to weather related events.

I agree with you there. I've been working up on the Northern California and Southern Oregon coasts for 2 years and am amazed at the beauty. By far, take the 101 down through Oregon and Northern California. You won't be disappointed. It just might be a little foogy. Watch out for all the log trucks too!

Old 09-21-2007, 05:29 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,419,949 times
This is a link to google images of the Big Sur coast; Big Sur Coast - Google Image Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California