Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 05:43 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,674,304 times

Advertisements

Shaver Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,938,384 times
If you love Yosemite, just pick a place close to Yosemite, to save long drives... Midpines or Mariposa area--there's a continuum of properties all the way to Oakhurst, really ...and you won't be all the way in the "boonies"--aside from wilderness trips you can always drop into Yosemite Valley and feel like you're in Manhattan, sort of. Plumas county suggested here is fine, along with many other places, but if you really like Yosemite, it's just way too out of the way with exhaustive drive. I owned property in Plumas county but it just wasn't the same as being close to the National Park... something was missing because the Park was so far away... I like to come to Yosemite Valley and Camp 4 on a regular basis, this becomes a habit...

Old 01-04-2013, 12:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,635,747 times
Default living the life in the high country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Timo View Post
After living 25 years in the SF Bay Area, and spending ALL of my vacation time in the High Sierra, I'm now retired and finally able to live where I want (as opposed to where my work dictates).

The High Sierra is my very favorite place on earth -- esp. the Yosemite region. I'm trying to find a small town, with plenty of nearby hiking and camping, as well as ready access to the High Sierra (when roads are open!) I really don't like excessive heat, so avoiding anything in the valley.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for particular towns or areas?? Any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

Mike
Groveland and YNP are a nice match. I see you're in the Rockies now. Beautiful Maybe you should get an RV and explore more than just the Sierras and YNP.
The grander of the high country is so compelling I just can't limit my travels to the Sierras. I want to see and experience it all. Now that I am retired, I'll be wintering in Carpinteria, Ca. and RV'n spring, summer and fall in any high country as the snow line permits.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,938,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Groveland and YNP are a nice match. I see you're in the Rockies now. Beautiful Maybe you should get an RV and explore more than just the Sierras and YNP.
The grander of the high country is so compelling I just can't limit my travels to the Sierras. I want to see and experience it all. Now that I am retired, I'll be wintering in Carpinteria, Ca. and RV'n spring, summer and fall in any high country as the snow line permits.
Considering the area around Yosemite had never been a foreclosure-stricken area, the property search would probably involve entire Groveland-Mariposa/Midpines-Oakhurst belt if one wants to buy less expensive one... Rockies are fine, but cold... very cold....3,000 feet or so elevation in the Sierra provides the nice balance between not too bad of a winter and long warm season I think (3,000 is mostly slightly above the snowline)

Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 26,265 times
Thanks, everyone! Tons of great info here for me to chew on. (And I'm chewing away!)

So far, living here in Woodland Park, CO (8500' elev) has been wonderful -- I've been here since July of last year. The drought kept the summer storms at bay last summer/fall, and the winter has been mild and relatively light on snow. So weather has been very conducive to me getting out and playing (which I've been doing non-stop!!)

The days are beautiful up here -- typically sunny, so the relatively cold winter temps really haven't been an issue. Road access is not a problem at all here in the winter -- what snow we get is quickly plowed. And the temps seem pretty much perfect (for me) -- no excessively hot days in summer, and winter temps seem fine (good for outdoor activities).

While there are tons of high-altitude all-season towns here in CO, seems much less so in the high Sierra (which is mostly bottled up in winter, with some exceptions, especially the Tahoe area). Too bad that I'm so imprinted on the Sierra!!

Last edited by Mike Timo; 04-02-2013 at 11:00 AM..

Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,953,064 times
Have you looked into the cities in El Dorado County at all? El Dorado Hills, Cameron Park, Shingle Springs, Placerville and on out to Tahoe?

I don't know your situation, but El Dorado County is one of the few in CA that adopted Proposition 90 that allows you to transfer your property tax base when you move if you are over 55. If you owned your home for a long time in the bay area, you might have a much lower tax base than what you buy now.

There are specific rules, but buying within 2 years of selling is a big one. The other is you have to buy something less expensive than what you sell.

We have some beautiful places here...check them out!

Exclusions from Reappraisal - Frequently Asked Questions- Board of Equalization
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California