Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,697,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The last of my kids is a week away from completely their K-12 public education (in Texas). I appreciate good teachers do not think of them as an enemy. I do not agree that it is a thankless job. If it were, then everyone would quit before too long.

I have worked on school finance issues here. I know schools aren't free. But what is a reasonable cost? Is the answer simply what the CTA says? How on earth is it prudent for the state to spend a fixed amount NO MATTER WHAT on schools? Do you think teachers should be immune from hardship when the state has a severe budget problem?

Since when have teachers have become immune from hardship due to the budget crunch?

Teachers with less seniority have been laid off no matter what their performances were in the classroom. Classroom size increased from the average of the lower 20's to above 30, they have been asked to purchase some supplies out of their own pocket and so on.

I also acknowledge that there are also under-performing teachers who don't deserve to keep their jobs because they don't have the heart and passion to teach students the core curriculum needed to succeed.

Most of the things I read on here are just mindless banter spouted by those who haven't even stepped inside a classroom to get a real idea of what teachers are dealt with on a daily basis. When student parents aren't following up with their children's learning outside the classroom, it's the teacher's fault. When school administrators are comfortable with their cozy six figure salaries and job security while laying off teachers, somehow the teachers are the first to go.

Unlike most of the others in this thread, I don't spread half-truths and absolutes on how to address the problem. Most are just drivel because they want to look good on Internet forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 02:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Since when have teachers have become immune from hardship due to the budget crunch?

Teachers with less seniority have been laid off no matter what their performances were in the classroom. Classroom size increased from the average of the lower 20's to above 30, they have been asked to purchase some supplies out of their own pocket and so on.

I also acknowledge that there are also under-performing teachers who don't deserve to keep their jobs because they don't have the heart and passion to teach students the core curriculum needed to succeed.

Most of the things I read on here are just mindless banter spouted by those who haven't even stepped inside a classroom to get a real idea of what teachers are dealt with on a daily basis. When student parents aren't following up with their children's learning outside the classroom, it's the teacher's fault. When school administrators are comfortable with their cozy six figure salaries and job security while laying off teachers, somehow the teachers are the first to go.

Unlike most of the others in this thread, I don't spread half-truths and absolutes on how to address the problem. Most are just drivel because they want to look good on Internet forums.
How would you solve San Diego's $122M problem?

Why is it so hard to get rid of poor teachers?

Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,045 times
I'm no teacher. But I clearly see why they need unions. It's because everybody hates them. The students hate them because they give them homework and yell at them if they don't do it. The parents hate them because they give their kids bad grades. The taxpayers hate them because they cost public money.

They need unions, or at least they feel in their gut that they need unions, to protect themselves from a society that is against them at every point.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:34 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Personally, I don't think many teachers are overpaid. And I think it's ridiculous how so many of them get jerked around with pink slips every year.

The problem is that California's educational bureaucracy is bloated to the point of obscenity, overburdened with make-work mandates, and dominated by rabid anti-family, anti-Christian, anti-western ideologues who care more about pushing their radical social agenda than they do about education or children ... or teachers, for that matter.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Somehow, I find this hard to believe as I always take your posts with a grain of salt.
Well of course you do. It's always easier to believe in a fantasy than it is the truth.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
And I think it's ridiculous how so many of them get jerked around with pink slips every year.
I don't think many actually get pink slips every year, especially in California.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:02 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,606,050 times
Quote:
I don't think many actually get pink slips every year, especially in California.
They certainly do around here. In bunches.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Look, programs like race to the top have handcuffed Teachers. Here in S Cal we have a serious illegal immigration problem and the Teachers have no choice but to deal with that mess. That being said, when Teachers ARE the Union you are going to have to deal with the kickback of negative attitudes. I feel sorry for the young Teachers heading into this toxic mess created by the older crowd that worked the tax payers for some pretty sweet deals. If it's not sustainable let's fix it. If that means cuts or renegotiating deals then do it.

Like I told my buddy who works for the City and another who is a Teacher, if it sounds too good to be true...well.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 05-23-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 05-23-2012, 05:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Lots. Just because they get the pink slip dosen't mean they actually get terminated.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:22 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Personally, I don't think many teachers are overpaid. And I think it's ridiculous how so many of them get jerked around with pink slips every year.

The problem is that California's educational bureaucracy is bloated to the point of obscenity, overburdened with make-work mandates, and dominated by rabid anti-family, anti-Christian, anti-western ideologues who care more about pushing their radical social agenda than they do about education or children ... or teachers, for that matter.
In the private sector, when a company has budget issues, you just get laid off :
Indeed.. and here is evidence to back Western..
Evidence :
HP to lay off about 27,000, profit slides 31 percent | Reuters
Yahoo layoffs: Yahoo cutting 2,000 employees - Los Angeles Times
Cisco layoff numbers high, but not as high as rumored
DailyTech - Report: Cisco to Lay Off an Additional 10,000 Workers
Sun Microsystems To Lay Off Up To 3,000 People : The Two-Way : NPR
Adobe plans layoffs, overhaul to focus on digital | Reuters

Confused which is worse.. being jerked around or kicked out on your arse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California