Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:16 PM

79 posts, read 110,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Liberals are normally better educated and thus command higher incomes, driving up the COL.
LOL!!! What??!! That might be one of the most ridiculous posts Ive read in while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 12:16 AM

979 posts, read 2,082,480 times
Why not Sacramento? somewhat liberal, sunny, and cheaper compared with the other larger cities of California (LA,SF, SD). Only problem is the economy in Sacto is really bad.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:34 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,002 times
I'll tell you the truth about Chico. It's a sharply divided town culturally and politically. Both liberals and conservatives feel embattled; neither dominates. Lots of liberals there due to the university, but it's not liberal utopia by any stretch. Davis is more uniformly liberal, but also more expensive.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:06 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,105,991 times
It's hard to get good climate, low rents, and liberal attitudes all in one place. You might have to settle for two out of three, Susan. If you were to take rents and "laid-back" as the most important, you could choose between hardcore desert or cold and wet in the winter (though not as gloomy as Seattle). Remember that even a bad climate in California gives you a more sun than further north, other than Eureka.

I'd agree with Chico .... Mt Shasta is good even though winters can be bad ...... I went through Willits once and that looked hippyish. I know there are some small towns in the area around Palm Springs that are cheap, but I think they might have crime problems. Etna is a nice little gem up on the Scott River, with a division between right and left. Again, hot in summer and snowy in winter. There's Fort Bragg out on the coast which has decent weather and is liberal, but I think rents might be high there. Sebastopol is nice but is also expensive.

I'd agree that the Sierra foothills, the old Gold Rush towns, would be suitable but there seems to be a shortage of apartments, at least the last time I looked.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:15 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,582,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I know there are some small towns in the area around Palm Springs that are cheap, but I think they might have crime problems.
Desert Hot Springs - despite the retiree influx - has always been lower-class hippyish and a drug and crime infested rat hole.

Last edited by WesternPilgrim; 05-28-2012 at 03:24 AM..

Old 05-28-2012, 04:45 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,845,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1214 View Post
I was born and raised in San Francisco and have been living in the fog for most of my life. I need to go live somewhere cheap while I finish a novel. San Francisco is one of the most expensive cities in the world and I am sooooooo sick of the fog. I want to move somewhere where I can wear sundresses and sandals for most of the year and not have to drive a fancy car to fit in. I am a CA resident and know how prices here can be, but I feel there must be some generally affordable place that's warm, and where liberal people live, where I don't have to drive a Mercedes and wear make-up whenever I go out.

Everyone tells me my "people" are up in Portland, and I'd meet the man of my dreams and make a millions friends if I moved there, but I just cannot stand all that rain and darkness. I lived in Seattle for a year and it was hell for me. I'm not about to try Portland. Isn't there somewhere in So Cal where chill people live in flip-flops, close to nature, and the rents aren't that high? (Like $700 or under for a 400 sq ft place? I don't need anything large or fancy, I don't want to live close to any "happening" place in a big city and I don't need to live near the beach.) Something in the San Diego area? I realize that anywhere close to the beach is probably going to be expensive. Desert is fine, instead. Also, I'd rather not live in a big city (i.e. not Long Beach)

Anybody know of a warm, sunny little hippy town that isn't too expensive? I would move to Arcata but it's foggy and cold there all the time. Also, I can't move to Santa Cruz. It's expensive and foggy.

Are there warm littl hippy towns that are cheap? Something on the outskirts of San Diego? Something in San Bernardino or San Luis Obispo?

Right now I'm thinking about somewhere near Santa Rosa, or maybe Russian River if I can find a place that isn't in a dark gulch.

I would also consider Arizona or New Mexico I tend to think those states are conservative, and the hippy places are expensive. Am I wrong?

Thanks!
Why look so far? Come up to Sacramento. The Midtown area is very Bohemian. Also, the COL is way cheaper than SF. Sactown is very underrated, the city core has got a ton of Victorian architecture, is very vibrant, and has a great liberal cultural scene. Plus the city is warm and sunny.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:50 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,121,390 times
Quote:
Right now I'm leaning towards Chico/Dixon or New Mexico. Thank you again!
And then there's Dixon, New Mexico which has quite a few artists.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,922,875 times
Quote:
You guys are awesome! In a few hours after posting my question, I got all these great answers! Thank you all very much for your responses. I think you're right on all counts. And it's true that liberals tend to be more educated, therefore have higher income and live in expensive places. I'll take a look and see what I can find. Right now I'm leaning towards Chico/Dixon or New Mexico. Thank you again!

Sta Fe is pretty hip and has a great vibe. It does have so cal prices though.
Marfa, Tex is also very hip and progressive, but in the middle of west texas.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:30 PM

767 posts, read 1,735,969 times
Of all places, you can consider Salt Lake City.

SLC is Mormon-dominated and oppressed but there is a large liberal, non-religious, non-repressed demography there partly as a counter culture to the Mormons and partly because some people there just aren't Mormons.

Consider Sugarhouse as well as anywhere around the University of Utah.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,464,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
I'll tell you the truth about Chico. It's a sharply divided town culturally and politically. Both liberals and conservatives feel embattled; neither dominates. Lots of liberals there due to the university, but it's not liberal utopia by any stretch. Davis is more uniformly liberal, but also more expensive.
That's a bit hyperbolic. Chico's too laid back for there to be much battling. I look at it more as a healthy mix with attitudes, diversions and places for anyone regardless of their political bent. There are too many coastal people who've moved there for the university and never left for it to be your typical "red state" type Sacto Valley ag town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California