U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 PM

136 posts, read 432,320 times

Advertisements

Hey guys Im 23 and considering taking a job out in Bakersfield. My question is, would I be making a huge mistake moving here as a single guy in terms of meeting people, outdoor activites, bars etc??? I actually grew up in Santa Maria (which people always joke is a smaller version of Bakersfield), but moved away during high school and have not been there in about six years. *I have never been to Bakersfield but S.M. was okay. The area at least seems relativly affordable. Any advice or description of the area, insight into good areas to live would be great. Also what is reasonable rent for a 1 bedroom apartment?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 07:41 PM

11,462 posts, read 18,260,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoonik View Post
Hey guys Im 23 and considering taking a job out in Bakersfield. My question is, would I be making a huge mistake moving here as a single guy in terms of meeting people, outdoor activites, bars etc??? I actually grew up in Santa Maria (which people always joke is a smaller version of Bakersfield), but moved away during high school and have not been there in about six years. *I have never been to Bakersfield but S.M. was okay. The area at least seems relativly affordable. Any advice or description of the area, insight into good areas to live would be great. Also what is reasonable rent for a 1 bedroom apartment?
your going to hear lots of bad things about bakersfield from people who claim to passed thru, ha ha I live here, it's not bad, meeting people, there are plenty of bars to hang ot in, lots of girls, outdoor activties, sports are plenty it all depends on what you want, close to the coast and mountians. the NW is the most popular area to live but there are plenty of good areas,
Good luck

Old 09-22-2007, 01:38 AM

1,849 posts, read 4,363,635 times
Bakersfield is one of the Nicest Cities in the Central Valley in my opinion....The City has a Population of over 300,000,so I don't think you'll have any trouble meeting people.

The Climate is also Hotter during the Summer and Colder during the Winter compared to Santa Maria.

Most Parts of Bakersfield is Safe,but the Southeast Part tends to have Higher Crime Rates.....The Northwest and Southwest are the Newer Parts,but other areas continue to grow as well.

I'm sorry I don't know the Rental Rates in Bakersfield,but it will be more Affordable than Santa Maria.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:19 PM

3,043 posts, read 10,987,385 times
I agree with what both of the previous responders said. Bakersfield is a decent city that in many ways still feels like a small town. It has a very different feel than L.A., and is more laid back in my experience. Bakersfield seems to be more about "who you are" rather than "what you have." It does lack some of the things L.A. has, both good and bad. It has a lot less traffic problems than L.A., though there is a fair amount of traffic in and out of the northwest (mainly along Rosedale Hwy.) during the main commute times. There are also fewer areas that I would consider to be bad areas to live, and those that exist in Bakersfield are mostly in the Southeast, as stated earlier. There are also fewer gang problems, though they have increased in recent years. On the downside, there are fewer cultural venues for things such as plays and concerts. There are also fewer "ethnic" restaurants for various dining experiences. All in all, though, I think you will find that Bakersfield is on par with any other city that is similarly sized, and it is still one of the most affordable places in California to live.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:07 PM

Bakersfield also continues to grow,and as time goes by,the Variety of Stores,Dining,Clubs,Entertainment,Etc grows as well.

One of the things I also like about Bakersfield is that it has alot of Friendly Folks,and the City continues to thrive,despite having a negative image to other Californians.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:15 PM

97 posts, read 355,293 times
hi i posted just this question some time back b4 i moved to bakersfield, and i am loving it here now..... maybe its the high of my great job, but i really feel this is a very pretty city, and has lots of green classy areas, couldnt ask a lot more to be honest for a single male with a new exciting job!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:38 PM

Hi There,i'm glad you have a Positive Reaction to living in Bakersfield

Bakersfield is surprisingly Green considering how dry it is here,and yup their are lots of nice areas.

Winter is coming up in just a few months,you should see how Gorgeous the Mountains look when it's Snowcapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj View Post
hi i posted just this question some time back b4 i moved to bakersfield, and i am loving it here now..... maybe its the high of my great job, but i really feel this is a very pretty city, and has lots of green classy areas, couldnt ask a lot more to be honest for a single male with a new exciting job!

Old 09-28-2007, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 11,050 times
Hello,
I have lived in the Bakersfield Area my entire life aside from 5 years in Orange County when we got transferred. There is a lot to do here. Anyone who says there isn't, hasn't tried very hard to find things.

We have many outdoor activities in the vicinity like fishing, hiking, mountian biking, hunting, boating, river rafting, kyaking and organized sports. We have several really fantastic parks. We have a great University that has an awesome Basketball team. Our community College boasts a terrific football team. We have a professional Hockey team, the Condors, We have AAA baseball, a raceway, shooting ranges, camping areas and a 30 mile long bike/walk path along the Kern River.

There is a Symphony, Community and professional Theatre, 4 multi-plex movie theatres, Broadway plays and top name Concert entertainment (James Taylor will be here in November.) We have many opportunities to meet people. For example, the Cal-State BBQ, Brews in the Village, Bakersfield Jazz Festival, Up on the Roof, Bakersfield Street Fairs, The Mud Run, Greek Food Festival, as well as Charity runs, fairs and other fun activities. We have a night life in our Downtown area and several local restaurants have Bands playing on the weekends. The Crystal Palace hosts big name concerts and has live entertainment every Friday and Saturday night as well as Monday night Football nights and so forth.

We have a number of excellent churches of all denominations and faiths. We have a plethora of excellent organizations and clubs from Kiwanis to Car clubs.

We are close to everything. If it isn't here, you can go a couple of hours in any direction and find it.

There are lots of different kinds of restaurants but you will find more Mexican and Chinese food than anything else. We have the best Basques Restaurants in the state.

People are nice here. Really nice. It's easy to meet people if you want to. We have lots of opportunities to get involved in the community through charities and events. It's affordable to live here. I do not know what kind of place you would like to rent but near Cal State you will pay anywhere from $650 to $1000 for a decent apartment. You could pay more for a larger place or a house.

The down side, and there always is one...
The air is the worst. If you have asthma of other respiratory issues, this is not a good place to be.
It is HOT in the summer. Really hot. Usually over 100 twenty of more days in the summer. And rarely below 90 during the day.

Good luck making your decision.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:20 PM

3,916 posts, read 6,672,850 times
Bakersfield isn't so bad. You are close to Los Angeles and Frisco or Vegas is only about 5 to 6 hours away. Believe me there are far worse places in CA that you can live in.

Old 09-28-2007, 11:09 PM

I totally agree with you..Bakersfield really isn't that bad,and their are much worst places in other parts of CA and in other parts of the Country.

If Bakersfield was a horrible place,not even the Lower Housing Prices would lure anyone to this City,but yet it has become one of the Fastest Growing Parts of the State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Bakersfield isn't so bad. You are close to Los Angeles and Frisco or Vegas is only about 5 to 6 hours away. Believe me there are far worse places in CA that you can live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California