Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 19,188 times

Advertisements

Which town would be better for a single mother raising young children? I grew up in rural CA between Kings Canyon and Yosemite but am planning on going to LPN school. However I can not stand the central valley so Yreka and Susanville are the only towns with LPN school that are not in the valley and are affordable.
I hope to find an apartment for around 600 or 700 a month and work part time while in school. Neither of these locations are near Whole Foods or Trader Joes so another smaller natural food store would be good. I like the way Yreka is close to Ashland where there are cultural activities and the large university, but Susanville is almost two hours from Reno. I like spending time outdoors and would prefer to live in town so I can bike to school and work instead of driving.
What are the pros and cons of both of these communities? Has anyone lived in both locations and can compare them? What is the weather and economy like (anecdotal not stats please)?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,317 times
Not much reason to go to Reno, that I can think of. If you are a hiking camping person, Yreka is close to some grand country. Susanville is more rolly woods with the Nevada empty land to the east. I'd probably take Yreka, I like Ashland, and wild rugged mountains.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
I'd choose Yreka, it's closer to the coast. Off the top of my head:
Yreka would be rainier, because it's technically part of the Pacific Northwest. But you'd be around redwood trees, it would be very scenic, and would have more amenities than Susanville.

Susanville is very hot and dry in the summers, and far less lush, with the Nevada desert to the east (very close by), and Mt. Lassen just to the West. I haven't been to Yreka, but Susanville is a very small town. I would choose Yreka.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:46 AM

Does anyone know about child care in these areas? Are centers accessible, open early mornings?

Old 05-29-2012, 07:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
State of Jefferson vs. upper Sacramento Valley. I'd opt for the former.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM

It is all in the liberal paradise of Eco Topia,, No redwoods in Yreka, nice timber but too far inland for redwoods
Yreka is probably not rainier than Susanville, at least not to any great extent.
Yreka is in the Klamath River watershed, very nice country. I'd go a bit west, Fort Jones or Etna.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times
I'd choose Yreka. Susanville can be a bit... ghetto. Sort of like a little piece of Stockton or Vallejo on the edge of the high desert of north state.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
I'd choose Yreka. Susanville can be a bit... ghetto. Sort of like a little piece of Stockton or Vallejo on the edge of the high desert of north state.
Some truth to that, because of the prison, prisoner families relocated to be near, a common problem small towns suffer when they have prisons.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM

Unfortunately for me I'm thinking I might not get into the school in Yreka because of the application deadline and my first application was incomplete! So I might wind up in Susanville instead. As bad as a 'prison town' sounds, as an optimist I'm thinking it might mean a few more job opportunities!
Once again, what is daycare like in these communities? And public education as well?
Oh and I mentioned Reno because I think it's the nearest costco and whole foods to Susanville...
Thanks

Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post
Unfortunately for me I'm thinking I might not get into the school in Yreka because of the application deadline and my first application was incomplete! So I might wind up in Susanville instead. As bad as a 'prison town' sounds, as an optimist I'm thinking it might mean a few more job opportunities!
Once again, what is daycare like in these communities? And public education as well?
Oh and I mentioned Reno because I think it's the nearest costco and whole foods to Susanville...
Thanks
Susanville is still better than any town south of Bakersfield, it is a fine place. Folks do drive "blood alley" 395 to Reno frequently. You also have Lake Almanor, Eagle Lake, the Warner Mountains, Lassen Park and the great state of Nevada to recreate in, carry water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California