Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 02:37 AM

32 posts, read 156,288 times

Advertisements

I'm considering applying for a job in Fort Bragg, CA, but I can't for the life of me find anything on how to get there! There's apparently an airport but every time I try to input Fort Bragg for one of those online ticket things, and even putting "search nearby airports," I get nothing. And I searched online and didn't find anything, except about a Skunk Train, even on the Fort Bragg website. The Skunk Train doesn't seem close to any airport...

I'm out-of-state and just considering it, but obviously want to go check out the place first. Theoretically, it seems like a dream come true: small, coastal town with a sense of community.

Does anyone know how to get there with the least hassle from out-of-state? Is there any major airport nearby? And then maybe one train I'd have to take? Could I go to San Francisco and then head there somehow? This is probably a really ignorant post...I SWEAR I tried to look this up but just hit a brick wall.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,531,732 times
If coming from out of state its pretty much fly to the Bay Area and rent a car. Ft. Bragg is kind of a p.i.t.a. to get to.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
As Jeffredo said, you can fly to San francisco, rent a car and drive to Ft. Bragg - 165 miles. It's about 3.5 hours; longer if you stay on the coast as much as you can and enjoy the scenery - 178 miles and almost five hours if you stay on Highway 1, the Coast Highway. Getting there is half the fun. There's really no shortcut.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:08 AM

21,611 posts, read 24,753,085 times
Well, there is a bus that runs from Santa Rosa to Fort Bragg and you can get from San Francisco to Santa Rosa. That said, you'd really want a car when you got there anyway, and the drive up 1... awesome. Going 101 to Willits and taking 20 (beast of a road, such a blast to drive) would be faster. It's pretty scenic too just not as scenic. There's a ton of stuff to do a long the way up the coast if you have the time. If not, just cruise a long with a few stops. The 15 minute detour to Dillion Beach is worth it, Fort Ross if you're a history geek. Other than that, just drive up and stop when it looks nice. Bodega Bay, Gualala, Elk. Mendocino really deserves more than a quick stop and it's only a short drive there. The Mendocino Highlands at sunrise (if it's not foggy) and sunset...

Old 06-03-2012, 11:57 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,502,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandikes77 View Post
I'm considering applying for a job in Fort Bragg, CA, but I can't for the life of me find anything on how to get there! There's apparently an airport but every time I try to input Fort Bragg for one of those online ticket things, and even putting "search nearby airports," I get nothing.
The airport there will only help you if you have your own airplane.

I love the town but it takes half a day to drive in.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:22 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,463,086 times
During the big fire of 2008 we decided to go to Ft. Bragg to get some fresh air. From our town north of Sacramento it didn't look like it would take too long on the map. Five hours later we roll into town. We could have driven down to Monterey almost an hour faster on a better road. Cute town but its sure is isolated.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:39 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,482,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The airport there will only help you if you have your own airplane.

I love the town but it takes half a day to drive in.
Fort Bragg Airport (82CL) is privately owned - you can't land there unless you've got permission in advance, private airplane or not.

Little River (LLR), on the other hand (south of Mendocino and Little River) is where you'd land if you flying to Fort Bragg privately.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,468,523 times
Despite what some would say, spending time in FB will make your life more interesting. If it sucks for you; you will have stories to tell your grandkids and at parties.

If it works out you will have/had a wonderful life expereince.

Go for it.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:36 PM

6,115 posts, read 12,482,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Despite what some would say, spending time in FB will make your life more interesting. If it sucks for you; you will have stories to tell your grandkids and at parties.

If it works out you will have/had a wonderful life expereince.

Go for it.
Agreed.

If you can swing it, it's a beautiful part of the world.

Curious what the job you're looking into is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-04-2012, 02:26 AM

18,958 posts, read 32,418,045 times
The closest airport would be Eureka and then it would be a 2.5 hour drive south, apparently United does offer flights from Portland, the Bay Area, and Sacramento. You can fly into Santa Rosa as well and it's a little over a two hour drive there.

I'd imagine Greayhound and possibly Amtrak may offer bus service. The thing about Amtrak is you have to buy a train ticket to use their connecting bus service. You could fly into Oakland, take the train from the station at the Coliseum to Martinez and then a bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California