Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 01:26 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
I find it funny that anybody would think a community with $130,000 dollar homes is going to be desirable.... But $130,000? Expensive in Detroit! You should consider this beauty:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...ex=MI542258581

$1,900 and plenty of room for your *future* family. You can thank me later.
I think he is referring to Orlando, it's doable there if that's your cup of tea.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...504?source=web

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...697?source=web
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 01:29 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,074,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I find it funny that people who live in California can't fathom such an idea because their homes cost 5-6x as much. This is madness !!!
Firstly....you still seem not to get that the bay area is not the norm for California. The median home price in California is $270,000....dramatically less than the $700k figure you are citing.

Secondly, I've love to believe that there are great communities with $130,000 homes, but reality doesn't work that way and the nicest communities of Florida are considerably more than $130,000.

I have never said anything about California being superior to every other state, so the fact that you keep implying such demonstrates the depths of your self-deception. But the only place you'd catch me in Florida is Disney World.....

Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,074,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I think he is referring to Orlando, it's doable there if that's your cup of tea.
I have no doubt that you can find $130,000 homes in Florida, you can find them here in California as well. My point is that communities with $130,000 homes are going to be low on the desirability list...if they weren't they be in greater demand and hence more expensive.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt that you can find $130,000 homes in Florida, you can find them here in California as well. My point is that communities with $130,000 homes are going to be low on the desirability list...if they weren't they be in greater demand and hence more expensive.
Not to mention you can claim homestead exemption of $50K, so the assessed value is probably more like $180K which in Orlando can land a fairly nice crib. Central and North Florida are much cheaper, than my neck of the woods but it's nicer down here in my opinion, more pleasing to the eye more barrel tile less shingles, nicer Mediterranean inspired homes. Some people I work with own some nice homes, $500K+, taxes in the $12K/year range. Insurance is like $7K+/year. Florida may be cheaper, but they get you with taxes and high insurance. Don't forget HOA fees to live in the nice gated communities, $300/month or more. When you read the break down on property taxes it makes you wonder on how much longer the system can go on.

I agree with you though, on average those lower priced homes are often in less desirable areas.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,095 times
Quote:
Firstly....you still seem not to get that the bay area is not the norm for California. The median home price in California is $270,000....dramatically less than the $700k figure you are citing.

Secondly, I've love to believe that there are great communities with $130,000 homes, but reality doesn't work that way and the nicest communities of Florida are considerably more than $130,000.

I have never said anything about California being superior to every other state, so the fact that you keep implying such demonstrates the depths of your self-deception. But the only place you'd catch me in Florida is Disney World.....
I get it .. Got it a long time ago. Which is why I will do the optimal thing : maintain a job from here and live elsewhere..
As for the 'median' price, that includes bfe inland desert towns w/o jobs to even still support those prices... which is why 1/3rd of the nation's welfare recipients (the amnt of weflare recipients in California) reside mainly in inland California.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:48 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,567,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juelle View Post
Well, since you tongued and cheeked your question, you received an answer whether you were satisfied with it or not. I suspect, you are all up in arms because you actually received one. However, pick any one of the commentaries on the subject of working for your keep. I took the liberty of highlighting the crucial points in red.

Barnes' Notes on the BibleFor even when we were with you, this we commanded you - It would seem from this that the evil of which the apostle here complains had begun to operate even when he was with them. There were those who were disposed to be idle, and who needed the solemn command of an apostle to induce them to labor.
That if any would not work, neither should he eat - That is, at the public expense. They should not be supported by the church. This was a maxim among the Jews (see Wetstein, in loc.), and the same sentiment may be found in Homer, Demosthenes, and Pythagoras; see Grotius, in loc. The maxim is founded in obvious justice,

howest2008.... I agree with the scriptures that jewish and everybody else that believe in the Bible
the unerrant word of God , know that you have to work doing some type of work to recieve charity from the Church , with the two exceptions of disability or old age.

and is in accordance with the great law under which our Creator has placed us; Genesis 3:19. That law, in the circumstances, was benevolent, and it should be our aim to carry it out in reference to ourselves and to others. The law here laid down by the apostle extends to all who are able to work for a living, and who will not do it, and binds us not to contribute to their support if they will not labor for it. It should be regarded as extending:
(1) to the members of a church - who, though poor, should not be supported by their brethren, unless they are willing to work in any way they can for their own maintenance.

howest2008..... everybody that recieved aid worked for the person or group that provided the aid
until they worked out what they recieved. People that stole from a person had to work off the amount
that they stoled Seven (7) times to have theirs crime set aside and forgiven

(2) to those who beg from door to door, who should never be assisted unless they are willing to do all they can do for their own support. No one can be justified in assisting a lazy man. In no possible circumstances are we to contribute to foster indolence. A man might as properly help to maintain open vice.

howest2008...... People gave beggers out of theirs own free will , but weren't compelled by the word
of God , and as a matter of fact the Bible warn about giving to a able body men who won't return any
work in return for he reciept of charity.

Clarke's Commentary on the BibleIf any would not work, neither should he eat - This is a just maxim, and universal nature inculcates it to man. If man will work, he may eat; if he do not work, he neither can eat, nor should he eat. The maxim is founded on these words of the Lord: In the sweat of thy brow thou shall eat bread. Industry is crowned with God's blessing; idleness is loaded with his curse. This maxim was a proverb among the Jews. Men who can work, and will rather support themselves by begging, should not get one morsel of bread. It is a sin to minister to necessities that are merely artificial.

howest2008.... this has nothing to do with a workfare program here in America that the conservatist won't allow to exist .

Gill's Exposition of the Entire BibleFor even when we were with you,.... At Thessalonica in person, and first preached the Gospel to them,
we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat; the Ethiopic version reads in the singular number, "when I was with you, I commanded you"; using the above words, which were a sort of a proverb with the Jews, and is frequently used by them, , or , "that if a man would not work, he should not eat" (q). And again (r),
"he that labours on the evening of the sabbath (or on weekdays), he shall eat on the sabbath day; and he who does not labour on the evening of the sabbath, from whence shall he eat (or what right and authority has he to eat) on the sabbath day?''
Not he that could not work through weakness, bodily diseases, or old age, the necessities of such are to be distributed to, and they are to be taken care of, and provided with the necessaries of life by the officers of the church; but those that can work, and will not, ought to starve, for any assistance that should be given them by the members of the church, or the officers of it.

howest2008..... What if the person recievinng assistance were willing to work it off and was willing
to work for theirs assistances.

(q) Bere**** Rabba, sect. 14. fol. 13. 1. Echa Rabbati, fol. 48. 4. & Midrash Koholet, fol. 65. 4. (r) T. Bab. Avoda Zara, fol. 3. 1.
People's New Testament 3:10 This we commanded you. Even then he gave a command that if any refused to work for their food, they should be refused support by others. He who is able to work, and unwilling, should not be fed.
Wesley's Notes 3:10 Neither let him eat - Do not maintain him in idleness.
Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary3:6-15 Those who have received the gospel, are to live according to the gospel.Such as could work, and would not, were not to be maintained in idleness. Christianity is not to countenance slothfulness, which would consume what is meant to encourage the industrious, and to support the sick and afflicted. Industry in our callings as men, is a duty required by our calling as Christians. But some expected to be maintained in idleness, and indulged a curious and conceited temper. They meddled with the concerns of others, and did much harm. It is a great error and abuse of religion, to make it a cloak for idleness or any other sin. The servant who waits for the coming of his Lord aright, must be working as his Lord has commanded. If we are idle, the devil and a corrupt heart will soon find us somewhat to do. The mind of man is a busy thing; if it is not employed in doing good, it will be doing evil. It is an excellent, but rare union, to be active in our own business, yet quiet as to other people's. If any refused to labour with quietness, they were to note him with censure, and to separate from his company, yet they were to seek his good by loving admonitions. The Lords is with you while you are with him. Hold on your way, and hold on to the end. We must never give over, or tire in our work. It will be time enough to rest when we come to heaven.
howest2008...... We Christians here in America don't follow the Law Of Gof , otherwise we would have
a real Workfare National Policy without any welfare issues whatsoever.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,441,965 times
Yep talk about gracious

Nice to attack someone who said they were leaving the thread...pretty splineless if you ask me.

However two can play your nasty little game

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
But if those 12.7 million lazy basta*ds would just learn to weld or get other training or be willing to scrub out toilets, another 9.7 million jobs would appear out of nowhere..
Quote:
Employees are a nasty infection..
Quote:
In fact, it would be nice if most educated and rich would also stop breeding. The world could use a break from the population pressures -- and from arrogant, judgmental attitudes that are so often passed from parent to child, including very much within the middle-class and wealthier families..
Quote:
And I do note that the world's most frightening events and problems are ALL caused by the more educated and well-off among us..
Quote:
That crap is the mark of civilized, educated, wealthy people..
Quote:
I gather you don't have to use simple arithmatic -- or logic -- in your profession..
Quote:
As I have expressed many times in other commentary: the damages of significance to our society and culture and civilization really come almost entirely from the avarice, greed, violence, and general amoral sociopathy of the highly educated and wealthy ....
Quote:
I just don't buy into sociopathic destruction, elitism, bigotry, or false vilifications -- umm, or whining either..
Quote:
Time for you to towel off behind your ears..
Quote:
...my claim that destructive behaviors executed by certain elites are far more damaging and dangerous to society than the simply self-destructive behaviors of the lowest classes. .
Quote:
Show me where I have advocated for excuse makers ... I have done no more or less than demonstrate that they are not the worst among us ... that, in fact, that distinction goes to sociopaths who are among the wealthy and highly educated. .
Quote:
...incomparably greater harm is being caused by the kinds of people the majority of society admires as "successful" for their wealthy, educated achievements.
Quote:
Nor have I criticized wealth in general..
^ Really
Quote:
• all well educated members of higher social echelons engage in world threatening destructive activities.
Quote:
or shut up the claptrap.
Quote:
My mission here, and often on these boards, is to step up to identify the mischaracterizations and stereotyping..
^Your entire rant is one huge stereotype...you need to step back and readjust your mirror.
Quote:
It's about intellectual honesty and spiritual integrity.
Yikes how can you be proud of all of this whining and lack of spiritual integrity?

Anyway carry on with your delusional display of spiritual integrity and mission to stop the stereotying

Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 PM

419 posts, read 997,873 times
California wants to move WELFARE recipients back to WORK....That means they have to WORK?? OHH NOOOOO THE AGONY!!

Old 06-18-2012, 02:55 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,441,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/apa/3084283127.html

A little slow are we? yeahthatguy fan club is really creative

Your little link does not work...AGAIN! Talk about slow...

Keep in mind I already live here...I know what you can get for your money. Save your broken links...you're not going to teach me anything.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Your little link does not work...AGAIN! Talk about slow...

Keep in mind I already live here...I know what you can get for your money. Save your broken links...you're not going to teach me anything.

Well I can't help you there, you were ahem "too slow" again.

I know what I can get too and I don't even live there but I will soon, I'm not asking for guidance either but thanks for the edgeucation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California