Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times

Advertisements

Talking about a "fat tax" is cheap, talk about what it would result in.... The results of a flat tax, one that would raise sufficient revenue, would be this:

1.) The poor would pay more taxes
2.) The middle-class would pay more taxes
3.) Households making $150,000 or so more would pay less taxes. Wealthy households, i.e., those making more than $250,000 a year, would pay much less taxes.

Talking about a flat tax while pretending that the above won't happen demonstrates a profound innumeracy. So then, how will America society be benefited by the poor and middle-class paying more taxes and the top 10% or so paying less?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 02:24 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
"Belief" is defined as "opinion" ... "Opinion" is defined as: "[a] ... judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty".

Quote:
I certainly agree that faith and religion are not the same.
^This is the same as a belief. BTW I also believe that statement.

Quote:
And I don't believe in "perfect" anything. I simply believe in responding realistically to changing venues.
I think you need to update your belief definition. Beliefs are what molds our opinions...but other factors can as well.

Beliefs are not the same as opinions. Opinions are subjective beliefs. Opinions may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs.

Simple analogy:

Religion vs. Evolution

Organized religious opinions are based upon unsubstantiated information whereas evolutionary opinion is based upon much substantiated scientific data.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
And I am guilty of incorrectly using common terms in an attempt to relate easily to persons not familiar with the topic.
Its confusing to the general public as well, the general public has a vague notion of a tribe vs hunter gather. Therefore saying "hunter gather" would convey the notion you want... When you say "tribe" people think of native Americans....

Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Its confusing to the general public as well, the general public has a vague notion of a tribe vs hunter gather. Therefore saying "hunter gather" would convey the notion you want... When you say "tribe" people think of native Americans....
I can't much help the general public being confused ... they are what they are.

I do usually use the term "hunter-gatherer" ... sometimes I add "band" sometimes I have added "tribe" ... Tribe is not actually incorrect, either. It is true, however, that anthropologists prefer and use the term "band" almost exclusively. But it is also true that some aboriginal tribes are quite small -- under the Dunbar Number in size -- and exist by hunter-gatherer lifestyle. Nevertheless, I do agree that it is more acceptable to use the term "band".

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:10 PM

667 posts, read 516,168 times
Quote:
Talking about a "fat tax" is cheap, talk about what it would result in.... The results of a flat tax, one that would raise sufficient revenue, would be this:

1.) The poor would pay more taxes
2.) The middle-class would pay more taxes
3.) Households making $150,000 or so more would pay less taxes. Wealthy households, i.e., those making more than $250,000 a year, would pay much less taxes.

Talking about a flat tax while pretending that the above won't happen demonstrates a profound innumeracy. So then, how will America society be benefited by the poor and middle-class paying more taxes and the top 10% or so paying less?
More, Less, or Much Less related to what?

Old 06-22-2012, 03:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
^This is the same as a belief. BTW I also believe that statement.
" the White Queen (from Through the Looking Glass) says, "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." ... [a] mockery of the common ability of people to entertain beliefs contrary to fact."
Quote:
I think you need to update your belief definition.
I'll do no such thing.
Quote:
Beliefs are what molds our opinions...but other factors can as well.

Beliefs are not the same as opinions. Opinions are subjective beliefs. Opinions may refer to unsubstantiated information, in contrast to knowledge and fact-based beliefs.

Simple analogy:

Religion vs. Evolution

Organized religious opinions are based upon unsubstantiated information whereas evolutionary opinion is based upon much substantiated scientific data.
Nonsense semantics.

be·lief

   [bih-leef] Show IPA
noun 1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.
2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEC_Dad View Post
More, Less, or Much Less related to what?
To what they are currently paying in taxes.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:17 PM

be·lief

   /bɪˈlif/ Show Spelled[bih-leef] Show IPA
noun 1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.

2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.

3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.

4. a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
To what they are currently paying in taxes.
Exactly, but not in relation to each other nor their income.

What do you consider unfair, rather than an obvious variance from the current, about a flat tax?

Old 06-22-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Exactly, but not in relation to each other nor their income.
Umm...no. The relationship would be the same, the poor would pay the least, etc What I said, obviously, translates into their taxes as a percent of their income, so:

- The poor would pay a higher percent of taxes in relation to their income.
- The middle-class would pay a higher percent of taxes in relation to their income.
- The wealthy would pay a smaller percent of taxes in relation to their income.

Quote:
What do you consider unfair, rather than an obvious variance from the current, about a flat tax?
I didn't say anything about fairness and you're still focusing on the cheap talk. Focus instead of the results of the respective tax systems and they are:

- The poor and middle-class pay more taxes with a flat-tax regime and the wealthy pay less.

Economically what does this result in? It results in a very high concentration of wealth in the top 10%. A flat-tax is a recipe for feudal society..... Now, are feudal societies unfair? You tell me...

I have no chips in this game (at least directly). If the middle-class want to lower my taxes and increase theirs "to stick it to the poor"...umm...okay. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California