Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:58 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,253,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
The overwhelming majority of interracial marriages that I have seen in California and elsewhere are between people who are quite similar in many ways. For example, the Asian female Stanford MBAs that I have come across who are in interracial marriages are married to the White male Stanford MBAs. The poor White women who I have seen involved in interracial marriages are married to similarly poor Hispanic males. Race is often a huge barrier to a successful marriage so most people involved in one are usually similar in other ways such as income, personality, looks, and etc. The more differences there are, the more likely the marriage or relationship will fail which is why there usually aren't huge discrepancies between couples regardless of whether it is interracial.

I personally have never come across interracial couples who are very different from one another in looks, education, personality, and etc. Usually the geeky White guy who likes Asians dates the geeky Asian girl not the sexy Asian party girl.
Uhhh, ok, what does that have to do with my take on interracial dating in LA County?

Most people date within their own race. Stanford MBAs are such a small subset that they are a deviation within an anomaly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:51 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,059,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Uhhh, ok, what does that have to do with my take on interracial dating in LA County?

Most people date within their own race. Stanford MBAs are such a small subset that they are a deviation within an anomaly.
Almost everyone I know has dated at least one person of another race. A large percentage of people I know is married to someone of another race.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Almost everyone I know has dated at least one person of another race. A large percentage of people I know is married to someone of another race.
Most people I know, date within their own race. ?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Interracial relationships have increased by like 300% in the last 20-30 years. However that's an increase of a previously small number. Despite what we may see, the overwhelming majority of people still end up with someone of their own race, especially when marrying even if they previously dated outside their race. Place like CA can make that appear otherwise.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:07 PM

51 posts, read 328,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
I think Norcal, in the Bay Area and Sacramento are more friendly to interracial dating than segregated Los Angeles. Many ethnicities in the LA area are very ethnocentric.
I've lived in the Bay Area all my life and strongly second this comment. Most of the Bay Area is very ethnically-diverse, tons of my friends would be considered "mixed" sometimes with three or four different ethnic backgrounds (and they're all gorgeous, btw) and lots of my friends are in interracial relationships and no one bats an eyelash. Going to college in another state was a major culture shock for me.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 AM

15 posts, read 30,234 times
Since we know that race is a social construct that changes through history and location (someone who is considered black in the US, may not be considered black in Brazil) and that up to 100 years ago some Italians weren't considered white at all, when are we going to admit that the concept of "interracial marriage" is a myth?

Old 08-03-2012, 05:40 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,254,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyDozens View Post
I want to hear your thoughts. Is interracial dating there more common than other areas of America or is it more like the deep south?
I never knew interracial dating to be more common in any particular area. I am in CT and my best friend is black and she has mixed grandkids, mixed great grandkids, all beautiful children. I guess I don't think about it much..I am white..don't think about that much either?? It is what it is. By the way..I think mixed kids are absolutely gorgeous. My friends grandkids and her great grandkids are so beautiful. They truly got the best of both races!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:13 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,464,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Far as interracial dating, here's what I notice in LA County. White guys who can't find pretty white women, tend to go after asian women. Most Asian women are desperate for white men. Latino males, tend to seek/date white women. Middle eastern people go for white men/women. Very few Latina women with white men. Think I've only seen one black woman with one white man and they could have been from out of town. Haven't noticed many black men with white women, except OJ and a few other celebs.
You could not be more wrong about the "very few Latina women with white men" - that's so common that nobody cares about it or even notices it. Even more common than white men with Asian women, which is also pretty common.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:18 PM

11,054 posts, read 16,751,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
You could not be more wrong about the "very few Latina women with white men" - that's so common that nobody cares about it or even notices it. Even more common than white men with Asian women, which is also pretty common.
Seriously. Especially in the South Bay, in areas like Hawthorne, Lawndale, El Segundo, etc... white/latin couples of either gender are super-common, almost the norm.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not to my knowledge. In your defense, however, some Latina women could pass for white and some white guys could pass for Latinos. So, who knows? I've never really kept score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California