Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 02:47 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Got that right, thank god I Live in florida (and been in florida since 1984), i'm glad I Left philadelphia, pa, it's all about high taxation.
I will second that! (the glad you live in Florida part)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 02:50 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I will second that! (the glad you live in Florida part)
I Went back to philadelphia, pa 5 years ago and I Say I'll never go back to it again, it was a s***hole.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,849,445 times
I have to say, the first thing I think of when I think of the East is high taxes, fees, etc.

As far as what's bankrupting California, I think most would say it's the unsustainable state/local government retirement system that is the likely culprit.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
I Went back to philadelphia, pa 5 years ago and I Say I'll never go back to it again, it was a s***hole.
I'll agree with you there ... I grew up in Philly ... but I still have a couple sisters living there while I live on the west coast ... so I'll repeat: I'm glad you live in Florida ... that way neither my sisters in Philly, nor I on the west coast have to interact with your negativity.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:02 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
I have to say, the first thing I think of when I think of the East is high taxes, fees, etc.

As far as what's bankrupting California, I think most would say it's the unsustainable state/local government retirement system that is the likely culprit.
and adding to an already state debt is gonna make things worse for that state.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post

The state retirement system -- as retirement systems most places -- needs an overhaul ... so?
But this constant assumption that California is -- or is going -- bankrupt is curious. It's not bankrupt, and won't be ... especially since states can't declare bankruptcy.

Regardless, the state still has all the resources, including human resources, and infrastructure, investment, desirablity, etc etc that have made it the world's 8th largest economy and largest GDP state and largest contributor to the nation's GDP. It has suffered a severe blow in the recent recession caused by the collapse of the housing market. This has brought flaws to light that need to be addressed. But the notion that the state will somehow "fail" is ludicrous. Hard times come and go. People deal with them and solve problems. Recoveries take effect over time. Life goes on.

I'm sure glad most of the people on this board weren't in my combat unit overseas. I'd / we'd all be dead.

Find some spine folks. (not you specifically e_cuyler)

Old 07-08-2012, 03:07 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
first impression of CA (oakland) when i got off the plane from france in 77.
an incredibly beautiful place inhabited by people with issues.
first impressions are lasting impressions.
my memphis uncle says huck---- living in california is like living with a beautiful woman, that has a headache all the time.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
first impression of CA (oakland) when i got off the plane from france in 77.
an incredibly beautiful place inhabited by people with issues....
... unlike where ... besides the pygmies in the Congo?

Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I did not give you opinions, aside from #6, if you want to disagree with facts, that of course is the hallmark of the Conservative.
Geez, so now I'm a conservative again

What I am is pragmatic. I'm also a good observer. I also expend my energy wisely. I have seen enough arguments on the CD forums to know which users are fun to have discussions with, and which are not. There are some people here who will occasionally write things such as "I see your point", "I don't fully agree but you are partially right", or get this....some people even have the audacity of even saying "I was wrong" once in a while.

And then there are the rest of the people. Yes, this is either the greatest collection of brilliant minds the world has ever seen, or the greatest collection of people so hard headed they could play in the NFL without a helmet. No, I'm not walking down the road to nowhere as so many other people do. I'll pass. Might not be as much fun, but I suspect in a day or two I'll find you happy in a heated discussion with the usual suspects over the usual topics with the usual outcome....thread closed

Old 07-08-2012, 04:26 PM

260 posts, read 656,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
living in california is like living with a beautiful woman, that has a headache all the time.
That made me LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California