Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:00 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The city manager was advocating for the developers from their view, but the council members were open to the public.

I believe the city manager is wanting more mixed-use projects and to stick any commercial development on West Branch Street.
In a word, no, Steve does not advocate for development or not development, that is not his job. If he advocated for development he would not last long in his job. Stating
Quote:
to stick any commercial development on West Branch Street.
means you did not attend the city council meeting on Tuesday, among other errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:31 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,758,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
In a word, no, Steve does not advocate for development or not development, that is not his job. If he advocated for development he would not last long in his job. Stating means you did not attend the city council meeting on Tuesday, among other errors.
Mr. Adams is sticking to what the zoning in AG is zoned for. Zoning and planning codes call that mixed-use developments can include commercial and residential and he stated that he had a concern kicking out the commercial would send a bad message to other developers that the city does not stick to the rules they made.

Zoning already has plans for some parcels along West Branch Street (near the hotel and Wal-Mart Center) for development and those plans were made a long time ago. It's not a big space, but there is some space.

At some point, the city needed the financial benefits of a Wal-Mart center and people wanted the shopping options. In other points of time, people don't want development and other areas in the city are not zoned for commercial development. Most retail/commercial (regardless of where you are) is usually zoned only near freeway access. SLO, Paso, and Santa Maria have shopping centers not next to the freeway.

Here is the zoning map for AG:

http://www.arroyogrande.org/static/u...aps/zoning.pdf

Pismo does not have any land left for development except in the Price Canyon area and areas in their downtown.

Grover is all developed, but Grover would like several areas torn down and rebuilt.

AG has open land near the freeway and also areas on East Grand Avenue planned for mixed-use projects.

Nipomo has freeway development planned which would be a couple mixed-use centers, and one which is Nipomo Commons and the other one I forget.

All this, which can be found on each city's site, and on loopnet.

And don't forget there are jobs in the South County area and more jobs in Santa Maria.

The only way to escape development is to live away from cities.

Besides, you all can get mad at me, but many people have voted for officials that were in support of developments over the years.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:13 AM

here are several developments in the works:

http://habra.com/pacificacommercialr...dCourtland.pdf

http://www.habra.com/pacificacommerc...inoMercado.pdf

As you can see, next to Hampton Inn is undeveloped land on West Branch Street and it's zoned for development. In front of the Hampton Inn are planned restaurants and next to it will be something.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:41 PM

After some research, I have determined other than the Food-4-Less center and The Pike in AG and some restaurants going in front of the Hampton Inn and Suites there aren't any other projects that will hit AG for many years.

Grover Beach has some mixed-use centers and two hotel projects that look like they will go through.

Pismo Beach I think will see the most growth as they have Los Robles Del Mar and Spanish Springs close to approval, and the new council members will determine the fate of Spanish Springs.

Also, in Pismo are plans to redevelop the downtown and perhaps include a small plaza like Court Street Center in SLO or some higher end store fronts. Pismo likes these higher end stores because they become spots for tourist to go.

So be happy that I admit no large developments will go into AG.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM

130 posts, read 163,521 times
On the question of how much there is to do in SLO, the amount of time that .highnlite, the city and a number of others in this long thread spend online should give you one answer.

The wine culture is huge in SLO county (Paso area), seems that few have even mentioned that. And outdoor activities (Montana de Oro State Park, Los Padres Natl. Forest, Big Sur to name just a few obvious day trips) don't get much mention either.

Anyway, aside from the frequent irrelevant hijackings by the aforementioned posters, thanks to those who have posted useful stuff here. We too are considering a move up there (currently live in San Diego; are frequent visitors to the area, as my parents live in Templeton).

Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post
On the question of how much there is to do in SLO, the amount of time that .highnlite, the city and a number of others in this long thread spend online should give you one answer.

The wine culture is huge in SLO county (Paso area), seems that few have even mentioned that. And outdoor activities (Montana de Oro State Park, Los Padres Natl. Forest, Big Sur to name just a few obvious day trips) don't get much mention either.

Anyway, aside from the frequent irrelevant hijackings by the aforementioned posters, thanks to those who have posted useful stuff here. We too are considering a move up there (currently live in San Diego; are frequent visitors to the area, as my parents live in Templeton).
Gee that was sweet. Many of us aren't drunks, so the wine culture is not that important to us. Besides with over 200 wineries in the area, to us locals, it ain't all that special.

My beef is that they have taken all the good hay land and stuck grapes on it.

Guess you have not noticed my posted slide shows on Montana De Oro, the Los Padres, and Big Sur, check them out, see how they compare to, say wine drinking in the afternoon.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
After some research, I have determined other than the Food-4-Less center and The Pike in AG and some restaurants going in front of the Hampton Inn and Suites there aren't any other projects that will hit AG for many years.

Grover Beach has some mixed-use centers and two hotel projects that look like they will go through.

Pismo Beach I think will see the most growth as they have Los Robles Del Mar and Spanish Springs close to approval, and the new council members will determine the fate of Spanish Springs.

Also, in Pismo are plans to redevelop the downtown and perhaps include a small plaza like Court Street Center in SLO or some higher end store fronts. Pismo likes these higher end stores because they become spots for tourist to go.

So be happy that I admit no large developments will go into AG.
I am not so sure that Spanish Springs will go forward. Not enough local support and where they gonna get the dang water? And, as for the rest of Pismo, i dont see lots of parcels available for more development. And, how would a high end store survive in Pismo? They are all touristy flip-flops, salt water taffy and fish-n-chips vib. Just dont see it. Pismo went down hill when the Clam left town.

Hotels in Grover City? Seems unsuited for that.

Just my thoughts.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:10 PM

There is a big hotel Conference center scheduled for the end of Grand Ave in Grover City. A hundred dollar saddle on a ten dollar horse.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:14 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stricklandia View Post

Actually, time spent on here is not all that great. Still have time to swill wine!

I too love the central coast and am very close to pulling the trigger and settling down there. Templeton is nice. Stay on the west side and hug the coastal hills. It might be a little too warm in the summer for me but it is mild compared to say Chicago.

Do check out Arroyo Grande which is my personal fav for semi-rural living. And, you are still close to SLO for the night-life.

And, not to be an apologetic for either the city or highnlite, i do enjoy their local insights. You can't beat a local to know what is happening, either good or awful. The city is my go-to guy for all things retail. Highnlite has wonderful comments on BBQ. So, take it as it is.

Have a glass of the local grapes and chill.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:12 PM

130 posts, read 163,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Have a glass of the local grapes and chill.
My comment about them was mostly tongue in cheek. My only beef was the frequent tangents in this very long thread (see, for example, pages 6-9), which make it much more time-consuming to find the info that's actually useful in this thread.

Unless I am not looking in the right place, there does not seem to be a specific sub-forum for SLO, and doing a search on "san luis obispo" didn't seem to turn up too much besides this thread.

Are there any other worthwhile threads about SLO that anyone can direct me to? Or is this the main one for general questions/info about relocation there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California