Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,680,317 times

Advertisements

Your folks may get to the place where they need you. Something to consider. California is said to be big on taxes, but, there likely isn't more than a 4% difference between where you are now and California. Nevada is a no income tax state, and is called a low tax state. The difference in total tax burden between Nevada and CA is 3.1% That means that if you income is $100,000 per year, in CA you would pay $10,600 in taxes, in Nevada you would pay $7,500 in taxes a difference of $4,600. Now, while Nevada is a grand state to live in, in most of the no income tax states, I would gladly pay a fee of $4,600 not to have to live there.

In SLO, your heating and cooling costs are minimal, and could easily offset that difference.

I don't know if you shovel snow, but, if you do live in a snow state, is that something you want to be doing at 75?

I saw Buffalo Springfield at the SLO Junior High, back in the olden days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 02:07 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
I went to Laguna, in fact my mother's back yard faces the playing fields behind the school. We live in TX, which to a Californian is the equivalent of hell, but we like it here. Yes, it gets hot but everywhere with the exception of San Diego has something wrong wether-wise, it seems. SLO is so windy on the Laguna side, and can get hot on the Poly side. Not Dallas hot, but noticeably hotter than the lake side.

We don't pay any state income tax, yes, our utilities are higher, and our property taxes are higher, but overall, our money goes a lot further here. Plus, we have tons of air miles and get to travel as needed so if we need a CA fix, the airport is close by. Nothing straight into SLO but it's an easy flight from L.A.

As far as them needing us, yes, that is a concern. Luckily they are in extremely good health and while we've talked about the what if's, nothing has been decided. My mom does NOT want to leave CA if she was suddenly widowed, and if she needed live-in care, as the daughter it would likely fall on me. I am in a position to go at the drop of a hat. We just don't like to think about it.

We're getting a Trader Joe's down the road....yessssss!!

Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 PM

11 posts, read 65,350 times
I've lived in Arroyo Grande (10 min south of SLO) most of my life. I love the central coast but, as others have mentioned, the "SLO life" can get boring after a while. Don't get me wrong -- this area is beautiful, the scenery is great, the weather is perfect... it's kinda like living in a double dose of Zoloft.

About the SLO airport: yes it flies only to LAX, SFO and PHX at the moment. But is that really a big deal? With one connection you can get anywhere you need to go. Besides, SBP is way less of a hassle to get through parking, unloading, checking in, security, boarding etc than any of those large airports. Enough with the "no big airport" whining!

Entertainment? Cal Poly Performing Arts Center. Big names year round. In the summer, Paso Robles Mid-State Fair also offers big names: California Mid State Fair

The biggest negative of this area is housing affordability, which is a function of median home price and median income. Both are problems here. While home prices have dropped 30% or more -- even around here -- it's still pretty high. An 1100 sq ft 1950's 3 bed 1 bath house still goes for $400-$500 depending on the area. Meanwhile the slack job market and growing retirement population keeps median incomes low enough to make SLO county among the least affordable places to buy a home not only in CA but in the entire country. More info: Housing Affordability Index

Schools: SLOUSD is among the best public school systems on the central coast thanks to huge funding from both upper-class SLO residents and PG&E's Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant.

If you're a frequent visitor to this area than I gather you have a pretty good grasp of what the "SLO life" means. Make sure to check out areas surrounding SLO as well like the Five Cities area.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:27 PM

16 posts, read 66,852 times
Default Thanks...

Thanks Nozzle, that helps a lot.
jg9999 (the thread starter)

Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
We're getting a Trader Joe's down the road....yessssss!!
Yes, but, do you have a F21? That can determine if a community is viable or not.

I too have a soft spot for SLO and the surrounding area. It is pretty much perfect. Not sure why I haven't moved back. That is question I must ponder. Perhaps nullgeo has an answer.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
... Perhaps nullgeo has an answer.
Because I am the answer man?

Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, it gets hot but everywhere with the exception of San Diego has something wrong wether-wise,
It has been pretty desperate here heatwise, the last couple of days. I was going to do some weed whacking, but, it is 75 outside, too darned hot to work in.

Friends of ours just bought a place, 20 acres, 6 car garage, 3 bedroom house 1,700 sq ft.
$300,000

Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Friends of ours just bought a place, 20 acres, 6 car garage, 3 bedroom house 1,700 sq ft.
$300,000
near San Diego?!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:04 PM

San Luis Obispo County. San Diego is just south Mordor, don know nuthin about it

Old 07-20-2012, 04:38 PM

Ah that makes more sense. I'm guessing north county (Santa Margarita, Shandon, etc)? Certainly not SLO or 5 Cities...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California