Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:35 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Absolutely OUTRAGEOUS, Pac12Fan . . .

The "out of control" politics as well as the brain dead politicians (using that term loosely) was the primary reason I left California in the mid 90's and when I read / hear about more of these ridiculous restrictions confirms that, even after 17 years, I made the correct move.

California is a great state with even greater problems . . . the use of plastic bags is not one of them.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.
12 states across the country have proposed bans on plastic bags. Many more cities within other states. China banned plastic bags in 2008.

Plastic bags last in the environment for anywhere from 20 to 1000 years, depending on exposure to sunlight mostly. They float around in the ocean by the billions now, destroying marine life and environment upon which we and our children rely for our very survival. All so some plastic bag manufacturs can make money? Some folks think this reduces employment -- compared to choking the life out of our and other species?

Here is an interesting summary of facts on plastic bags ... the website is from Australia:
Plastic Bag Facts

How is this worldwide disaster response an example of something uniquely wrong with California politics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
How is this worldwide disaster response an example of something uniquely wrong with California politics?
There are always two sides to a position . . . environmental or otherwise. As an example, the many theories on Global Warming. Yes, the environmental fiasco that made Al Gore a bazillionaire yet he never once "practiced what he preached" . . . NEVER ONCE.

However, if you strongly believe plastic bags are bad, EDUCATE THE PUBLIC but save the bans for more important issues.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:18 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,023,427 times
Ca is a over-lawned nanny state so im not surprised. I do use the paper bags for trash. I believe it will be a dime per bag. We have a VERY dysfunctional legislature & govenor.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
There are always two sides to a position . . . environmental or otherwise. As an example, the many theories on Global Warming. Yes, the environmental fiasco that made Al Gore a bazillionaire yet he never once "practiced what he preached" . . . NEVER ONCE.

However, if you strongly believe plastic bags are bad, EDUCATE THE PUBLIC but save the bans for more important issues.
I just did educate the public -- in my small way today.

But you did not answer the question I posed, which is: in what way is this proposed ban an issue demonstrating something dysfunctional about California politics -- or even culture, for that matter -- in particular? You know: as opposed to many other states and countries around the world? You said this was an example of why you left California ... Inferring that there was something uniquely dysfunctional about California because of a ban that is being enacted or proposed all across the nation and around the globe.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
I just did educate the public -- in my small way today.

But you did not answer the question I posed, which is: in what way is this proposed ban an issue demonstrating something dysfunctional about California politics -- or even culture, for that matter -- in particular? You know: as opposed to many other states and countries around the world? You said this was an example of why you left California ... Inferring that there was something uniquely dysfunctional about California because of a ban that is being enacted or proposed all across the nation and around the globe.
Simply put, Nullgeo . . .

You have cities going or have already declared bankruptcy, your state is so far in debt it'll take years, if ever, to recover, while your clueless governor is more concerned about such things as BANNING PLASTIC BAGS? Promote reusable bags or any other alternative but to declare a ban is ridiculous and just another example of why the State of California is so frequently laughed at by the rest of the country.

That is DYSFUNCTIONAL POLITICS.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Europeans have been doing for a long time so I really don't get what the fuss is about. Washing a bag isn't really all that much trouble - toss in the canvas in the washer and line dry.

Now, if they could just do something to bring back and keep our jobs at home, life would perfect!

There is a huge difference between the European Union and plastic bags so I am not saying to follow them down every path, but, if they are adult enough to find alternatives, what are we complaining about?

I keep a small folded nylon bag in my purse for when I do forget to bring in a bag at places like the craft store or pharmacy. The rest of the time most of the people I know have no problem just bringing their bag. It really is no problem, but, for some changing old habits can be a challenge.

Last edited by Heidi60; 07-09-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 04:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Europeans have been doing for a long time so I really don't get what the fuss is about. Washing a bag isn't really all that much trouble - toss in the canvas in the washer and line dry.

Now, if they could just do something to bring back and keep our jobs at home, life would perfect!
And why not replace them with recycled paper bags?

And why do we need to follow Europeans practices? Been following the stories coming out of there recently? Weren't we established so we wouldn't be Europe?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:09 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Plastic ... BAAAAAAAAAAD plastic.

Plastic ... made from BAAAAAAAAAAD oil.

Bad oil, sold by bad men. BAAAAAAAAAAD men, like ones in Norris books.

Me wobbly. Me gonnna thrash BAAAAAAAAD men. /sarc

Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Plastic ... BAAAAAAAAAAD plastic.

Plastic ... made from BAAAAAAAAAAD oil.

Bad oil, sold by bad men. BAAAAAAAAAAD men, like ones in Norris books.

Me wobbly. Me gonnna thrash BAAAAAAAAD men. /sarc
Do you deny that these plastic bags are clogging the oceans and despoiling the environment?
Do you deny they last for typically hundreds of years as trash?
Is that a good thing in your opinion? To trash your environment and kill off large segments of your nutritional future?

Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Seattle did that and it started last week. It's a revenue source, beefing up the city budget with fines and paper bag fees
while putting a whole new group of people out of work. those things are definitely bad for nature but there are revenue-neutral ways to solve that without banning them, like deposits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California